FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Parking brake fitting on master cylinder shaft
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MaulePilots.Org Forum Index -> Mx, Repair & Technical questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy Young
100+ Posts

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s drawing 9117E, found on the CD under “Optional Accessories Group”. If you like, I can email it to you. I’m too lazy right now to go through the steps required to post a photo of it here.
andy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always pump the brakes three times during my descent to landing to make sure the parking brake tabs have released. That doesn't always guarantee that they won't stick though. I had one landing where I did that but one brake locked up and I swerved off the runway. It was exciting but nothing got damaged except my nerves. It made me vow to keep the locking tabs on both master cylinders clean and lubricated. The only reason that I haven't taken them off completely is that there have been a few occasions where I couldn't avoid parking on a bit of a slope and I couldn't toss a chock in front of the main tire while holding the brakes. The parking brake gave me enough security that I could get out and chock the wheels before releasing the parking brake and visually verifying that the locking tabs had released.
plowboy

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

perhaps, the solution to this is, do not pull knobs willy nilly while flying. then odd thing that surprise you will not happen. Just my opinion, I could be wrong on this lol.
Andy Young
100+ Posts

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plowboy,

If you carefully read the post just above your last, you’ll see that even with no incorrect action on the part of the pilot, and diligent checking of the system before landing, the brake can still lock inadvertently.
Andy Young
100+ Posts

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plowboy,

If you carefully read the post Justine above your last, you’ll see that even with no incorrect action on the part of the pilot, and diligent checking of the system before landing, the brake can still lock inadvertently.
plowboy

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Young wrote:
Plowboy,

If you carefully read the post Justine above your last, you’ll see that even with no incorrect action on the part of the pilot, and diligent checking of the system before landing, the brake can still lock inadvertently.

I find it hard to believe that there would be no service bulletin for corrective action if this was a recurring problem, but what do I know.
gbarrier
100+ Posts

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a little stitching to the airframe is required not to mention four new hoses besides the brake valve.
crbnunit
100+ Posts

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Young wrote:
It’s drawing 9117E, found on the CD under “Optional Accessories Group”. If you like, I can email it to you. I’m too lazy right now to go through the steps required to post a photo of it here.

Wow! I completely missed that. Looks like a Gerdes A-850-1 or a Cleveland 60-1 valve will do.
Mog
100+ Posts

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Passengers, especially younger ones could accidentally pull the parking brake knob easily. It should really be part of your GUMPS check when passengers are aboard. I suspect an AD has not been released because they work fine when new and in good condition. But as they age and wear or get overly dirty due to poor maintenance then they can fail. The FAA can’t issue an AD for every maintenance item.. or could they???
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MaulePilots.Org Forum Index -> Mx, Repair & Technical questions All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: