FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Parking brake fitting on master cylinder shaft
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MaulePilots.Org Forum Index -> Mx, Repair & Technical questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rv8bldr

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 5:27 am    Post subject: Parking brake fitting on master cylinder shaft Reply with quote

Hi all

The metal fitting that slides over the shaft of the master cylinder on my M5-235C has broken so I have no parking brake. I looked at drawing 3183B Rev C and every part in the parking brake assembly has a part number...except for the metal fitting on the shaft.

Anyone have an idea what the part number might be? Or, if there is no official part number, what the material is so I can make one? I would assume 4130, but we all know what ASSUME stands for...

Thanks in advance
RV-8 C-GURV (Sold)
Bearhawk 4pl - Under Construction
Duane
100+ Posts

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you talking about the parking brake lever? That's p/n 4046-3 or 6 depending on the diameter of your brake shaft. Either 1/4" or 5/16"

duane@mauleairinc.com
Mog
100+ Posts

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This would be a good time to delete the parking brake so it doesn’t bite you later.
gbarrier
100+ Posts

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Properly maintained they work well.
montana maule
100+ Posts

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second that Mog. One less thing to go wrong.
plowboy

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how do you park on a hill or in a gusty wind without parking brake?
Andy Young
100+ Posts

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m firmly in the “Remove the Parking Brake” camp.

I often have to park on steep hills. I either park sideways on the hill (remember to switch to one tank, so it doesn’t cross-feed) or I toss something out of the cabin to act as a temporary chock while I hold the brakes, then get out and find some rocks.

I’ve always meant to install an in-line hydraulic valve type of parking brake, like Citabrias have. Thought I’d have to do a field approval, but I recently came across a drawing on my parts CD that shows that exact system as an option. So it would just be a logbook entry. By now, I’ve got so used to not having a parking brake that I don’t miss it, so I might never bother.
plowboy

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Young wrote:
I’m firmly in the “Remove the Parking Brake” camp.

I often have to park on steep hills. I either park sideways on the hill (remember to switch to one tank, so it doesn’t cross-feed) or I toss something out of the cabin to act as a temporary chock while I hold the brakes, then get out and find some rocks.

I’ve always meant to install an in-line hydraulic valve type of parking brake, like Citabrias have. Thought I’d have to do a field approval, but I recently came across a drawing on my parts CD that shows that exact system as an option. So it would just be a logbook entry. By now, I’ve got so used to not having a parking brake that I don’t miss it, so I might never bother.

no wonder no one will ride with you, after you throw them out, and use them for a wheel chock. lol
andy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it hard to inspect the parking brake tab for dirt and lubrication on every flight so I seldom use the parking brake. It requires a good light and an inspection mirror plus a little contortion. As long as it's clean and lubricated it works great but that location is a dirt magnet.

I only use the parking brake if I'm on an incline and unable to toss a chock behind or in front of the pilot side main wheel to keep the airplane from rolling.
rv8bldr

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thanks for all the replies, folks. I hate having something broken in the airplane even if that thing is normally unused, but....., I also appreciate the heads up that maybe removing it is a good idea.

I'll think on it.

Thanks again, everyone
RV-8 C-GURV (Sold)
Bearhawk 4pl - Under Construction
Andy Young
100+ Posts

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark,

In case it hasn’t been clear from this discussion, the real problem is the potential for locked brakes on landing causing a nose-over, even if the parking brake knob is not pulled. It has happened to a number of people. Hence the reason many of us have chosen to remove them altogether. Others very legitimately choose to leave them on, keep them maintained, and double or triple check them before landing. It’s very much a personal preference thing, but you do need to be very vigilant if they are left installed.
VH-MEU

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 3:00 pm    Post subject: Park Brake operational danger! Reply with quote

Just a quick note/reminder to all maule flyers with the park brake cable operated tabs still fitted in their aircrtaft "CHECK that Park Brake Panel Knob IN & brakes operating independently/free every time before landing". The reason I'm reinforcing this "Check" to members is that after a recent long flight I though I had opened/pulled the cold air vent panel knob, WRONG- I'd pulled the park brake ON! ( both same small black knobs close low down on the panel) and didn't check prior to landing.
Even though to securely lock the maule park brakes you are required to depress both foot brakes before pulling the panel brake knob I can now confirm just pulling the panel knob can make for a very interesting landing on applying L or R brakes when one brake becomes "locked" unexpectedly. I'm now going to have the tab/cable park brake mechanism removed & operate as Andy Young suggests. Wooden chocks for me.
Andy Young
100+ Posts

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Park Brake operational danger! Reply with quote

VH-MEU wrote:
Just a quick note/reminder to all maule flyers with the park brake cable operated tabs still fitted in their aircrtaft "CHECK that Park Brake Panel Knob IN & brakes operating independently/free every time before landing". The reason I'm reinforcing this "Check" to members is that after a recent long flight I though I had opened/pulled the cold air vent panel knob, WRONG- I'd pulled the park brake ON! ( both same small black knobs close low down on the panel) and didn't check prior to landing.
Even though to securely lock the maule park brakes you are required to depress both foot brakes before pulling the panel brake knob I can now confirm just pulling the panel knob can make for a very interesting landing on applying L or R brakes when one brake becomes "locked" unexpectedly. I'm now going to have the tab/cable park brake mechanism removed & operate as Andy Young suggests. Wooden chocks for me.

Yikes!!
I hope you managed to keep it upright, and out of the weeds.
crbnunit
100+ Posts

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Young wrote:

I need to find this drawing. I almost lost my plane one day. 31's and a tail wind blew it right over my choc rock and sent it rolling downhill!
Andy Young
100+ Posts

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s drawing 9117E, found on the CD under “Optional Accessories Group”. If you like, I can email it to you. I’m too lazy right now to go through the steps required to post a photo of it here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MaulePilots.Org Forum Index -> Mx, Repair & Technical questions All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: