FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
baffling on a M5 io 360 D

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MaulePilots.Org Forum Index -> Mx, Repair & Technical questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pretty mauled

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:19 am    Post subject: baffling on a M5 io 360 D Reply with quote

Dear all , could someone post a pic of a proper baffling as seen from behind the prop ?
Also is it correct that the upper and lower cowling are only attached to each other and the firewall, but have no front support for example on the front engine mount? Rolling Eyes
andy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, I can't send you a picture because the airplane is down in South Carolina getting avionics, but I can address some of your questions.

All of the baffling edges need to face toward the nose so that when the air pressure pushes against them, the cylinder cooling fins prevent them from flexing aft and letting air bypass the cooling fins. The rear baffling top edge should curve forward and press against the underside of the cowling. I can't tell you how many times I've had to fix the position of the front baffling when a mechanic removed the upper and lower cowling and put it back with the baffling bending aft.

The upper and lower cowlings attach to the rest of the fuselage with a bunch of Dzus fasteners on the top and sides along with two bolts per side that go into the firewall area. Otherwise they attach to each other. There's no attachment to anything else at the front. It's a very firm mounting arrangement though. If you yank on the front, it won't move.
YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not on all.
I have seen several variants and mine is one of them. My cowling has a chin piece that form fits the lower cowl around the hub and has screws securing all across the bottom and one on one side and two on the other, immediately in front of the cylinders.
I have always been a bit envious of those who don't have this as it's a pain in the ass to get all the fasteners back in.
crbnunit
100+ Posts

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only two complaints about my M-4 are the fuel vent system and the cowl. +1 on the pain in the butt chin piece.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MaulePilots.Org Forum Index -> Mx, Repair & Technical questions All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: