FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Right front door opening when landing
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MaulePilots.Org Forum Index -> Mx, Repair & Technical questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jean Paul

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:54 pm    Post subject: Right front door opening when landing Reply with quote

Hello all Maulers!
I am the french happy owner and pilot of a 1991 MXT7-180 since 4 years. It suits very well my program. Like most of you I had various issues but with the
Mechanical we always found thé solution ...Except now !
This right door opens itself fréquently when landing and sometimes even when flying. On the ground it locks perfectly.
When learning to land on my private moutain strip(85/900 feet, climbing at 7,5%) I was a young pilot and had a lot of hard landings with big bounces.
I wonder if the frame could have been twisted or weakened or something broken?
There is nothing else wrong when flying or wheeling.
Does somebody among you have an idea to help me solve that issue?
Jeremy if you read me do you we have to look the frame? Where and How ?
Thank you for your advices and good summer flights!
Jean Paul
gbarrier
100+ Posts

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would guess more of a latch problem than an airframe problem. Lube the mechanism good and make sure it is going far enough into the striker plate on the fuselage. It can also be adjusted by removing the outside knob and knob screw and unscrew the plunger a couple of turns so it will penetrate farther. It may make more sense if you have a copy of the drawing from the parts CD.

The new door latches are pretty slick but if properly adjusted and lubed the old style work just fine and stay put when they are expected to.
maules.com
100+ Posts

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed with gbarrier, and also check that the door bolt is not worn out, having a worn off or chamfered notch when it should have a 90 degree notch and pointed end. Check the other bolts for similarity.
Also check/replace the door hinge bolts as they become worn and can actually be cut through if not kept properly adjusted . A service letter addresses fitting drilled bolts and castellated nuts with cotter pins to prevent the original nylock nuts from backing off over time.
Lose a bolt in the air and it gets very interesting, as one Maule owner can attest.
There should be a washer between nut and door hinge. Door can be adjusted up and down a little by fitting a washer between hinge lugs. Door frame hinge attach studs can also become loose if the nut on inside of door frame gets loose.
Having checked and adjusted all that, then one can examine the airframe.
Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy, did that Maule lose a bolt or lose a door? Shocked

On my plane the bolt can't come out even if it had no nut because of the hinge style.

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843
maules.com
100+ Posts

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the bolt wears or cuts through the shank it does not need to come out to release the door.
Door lost a bolt, started twisting door off, pilot grabbed it but it cut into his arm and he had to try to land while bleeding, in pain, but knowing the door could take off his tail.
All service letters and bulletins should be checked even though not mandated in an annual inspection.
Jean Paul

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:52 pm    Post subject: Right front door opening when landing Reply with quote

Thank you GBarier and Jeremy for your quick and precise answers and Hello Moutain Doctor!
The mechanic soon worked on the latch and it seemed us it was going far enough in the striker plate..
We shall check all the points you speak about next friday or saturday but
I don't find any SL . May be is it too old?
It seems me too that when locking the inside button the door stays better closed..could it be possible?
I shall tell you our results. But I'm soon glad to get your expert advices and to meet friendly American guys connoissors of this plane. Sincerly you
22Tango

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi JP,

I had a very similar problem. It is mostly solved now.
As said by others, I checked and made the door bolt end 90 degrees. I screwed out a bit. The outside slot for the knob was a bit short so addressed that. Also, the internal spring could be a little soft. Perhaps some washers could help there? Or a new spring?

Let us know what you find worked.
gbarrier
100+ Posts

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 22tango said you may need to expand the slot in the door skin a little. Had to do that on one of my doors as well as a pretty new Maule of my friend.

Penetration is the key.
pilot
100+ Posts

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gbarrier wrote:

Penetration is the key.

So I've heard.

M-5 220c, circa 1974
EAA #428061
gregorydshanks
100+ Posts

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject: Door opening Reply with quote

The chamfer on the plunger may be worn to the point that it doesn't seat firmly. I had that problem and a new plunger (or whatever you want to call the thing that goes into the slot in the door frame) fixed the problem
Jean Paul

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:54 pm    Post subject: Right front door opening when landing Reply with quote

Hello all friends Maulers!
And Thanks gregorydshanks.
We checked the door's bolts:! the 6 are OK with castelled nuts and cotter pins.
It seems we solve one issue : the nut of the knob screw hindered its travel trough the slot ( outside knot).
We put a longer Little tubular spacer and it works better : we did a 2 hrs trip with 2 Rough landings without the doors opened.
It stays nevertheless something to solve: thé plunger travels better with thé inside knob than with the outside one! It seems like its tube near thé latch had been welded not perfectly ..
Thé story is not finished!
Thank you all guys ...and to thé next news
Jean Paul

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:34 pm    Post subject: Right front door opening when landing Reply with quote

Hello All Maulers!
I'm back on the forum one year later and glad to meet you.
My right front door is always opening inadvertently!!!
All had been checked and is ok like we said last year...and nevertheless the issue is always worst.
I think it's time,as Jeremy said , to examine the airframe.
Jeremy and other owners can you tell me where and how ?
Thanks in advance for your advices.
Jean Paul

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject: Right front door opening when landing Reply with quote

Hello All Maulers!
I'm back on the forum one year later and glad to meet you.
My right front door is always opening inadvertently!!!
All had been checked and is ok like we said last year...and nevertheless the issue is always worst.
I think it's time,as Jeremy said , to examine the airframe.
Jeremy and other owners can you tell me where and how ?
Thanks in advance for your advices.
maules.com
100+ Posts

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the aluminum slide bolt is not worn as this does happen and the lock surface is then sloped not flat. mauleairinc has new ones though there are two different sizes.
Check the striker plate is secure and in correct position. it can be shimmed closer to the door frame. Make sure the sliding door bolt can fit into the striker plate fully.
Jean Paul

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:26 pm    Post subject: Right front door opening when landing Reply with quote

Thanks for your answer Jeremy.
The door slide Bolt is not worn and its lock surface is flat. The striker Plate is in correct position and the door Bolt fits Fully into it. I dont understand what happons. I think a pièce offre the airframe is mooving. May bea welding is had? Where to look first? Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MaulePilots.Org Forum Index -> Mx, Repair & Technical questions All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: