FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
M-5 door locking mechanism
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MaulePilots.Org Forum Index -> Mx, Repair & Technical questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trasumanar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:51 am    Post subject: M-5 door locking mechanism Reply with quote

Since last Autumn I am a proud new owner of very nice 1974 Maule M-5 210C. Besides the great fun flying it I am slowly going through few enhancements. After installation of glider tow release kit which was for me absolute necessity I would like to install before summer swing out windows, vortex gens and if manageable also the sky view window. I was thinking that once I will be installing the new windows and have the doors uncovered I could try also fix locking mechanism of the pilot doors. There seems to be something missing. The lock is there and functioning properly but the latch is somehow in the air, not connected anyhow to the locking bar. Therefore I was wondering if someone could post a picture or drawing of your lock to better understand how does it function and to see which part is potentially missing?
DeltaRomeo
100+ Posts

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Order the parts DVD from Maule; its the best diagram of your entire aircraft and all of its systems you will find.
www.lonestarmaules.com
maules.com
100+ Posts

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The aluminium Bolt which slides in the barrel is threaded onto the push rod.
To adjust, remove the outside door knob and threaded dowel, then turn Bolt clockwise to shorten or anti clockwise to lengthen so that while the beveled Bolt fits in the doorframe striker plate and needs a tad of pressure to get the inside doorknob threaded rod to locate in the slot which should be shaped like a reclining 7.
This slot becomes worn and the Bolt becomes worn and occasionally needs replacement. If Bolt is to be replaced, there is a spring and a washer in the barrel also.
Measure the bolt as there are two sizes over the years.
Keep Bolt and barrel lubricated with LPS2 or Lithium grease, Not WD40.
Trasumanar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jeremy! Reading through this it seems that I am missing the Bolt. I will try to make a photo of my locking mechanism so that you can compare it with yours and tell me if something is missing. Or if someone could share a photo this could help also.

DeltaRomeo thank you for the advice. I have already posted inquiry to Maule Inc. about the parts DVD. Maybe they could add it to my next parts shipment or share a link for download.
AndrewK
100+ Posts

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if it'll help but here are some pictures of what mine look like. First few are of the pilot side, the rest are of the passenger side.

https://imgur.com/a/cJTZS

Sorry if they are too dark, got to the hangar late. Also didn't realize how dusty the covers were, oops.
captnkirk
100+ Posts

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just finished installing the new style door latches. They are not cheap but they are a vast improvement over the original setup. It is not a very hard job at all a grinder to cut off the old tab ,a drill for the holes for the rivet nuts and a rivet nut tool. It is like a poprivet tool you can find cheap ones at harbor freight. Sorry I was in a rush to get it done and didn't take many pictures. The only snag was one of the latches did not fit in the barrel and needed to be ground down a bit and I honed out the barrel a bit with a wire bush an some sandpaper. I'm not sure if the drawing is on the parts cd but the kit comes with a good drawing . Over all I am happy with the new setup and my wife can now open the door with out problem.
captnkirk
100+ Posts

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<a> photo 5EE6D203-62A9-4E57-ACA6-2DB635B1371C_zpskub94gwx.jpg</a>

this is a shot of the latch with out the handle attached
gbarrier
100+ Posts

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must say that new door locks were not very far up my list until I saw Kirk's. Pretty slick.

I know this question has been asked but I don't remember. Does the new lock mechanism on the right door use the existing lock hole?
MauleMechanic
100+ Posts

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gbarrier wrote:
I must say that new door locks were not very far up my list until I saw Kirk's. Pretty slick.

I know this question has been asked but I don't remember. Does the new lock mechanism on the right door use the existing lock hole?

NO! Very Happy

Great to meet you today...wish I could have spent more time talking!!
gbarrier
100+ Posts

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then I'll hold off till time for new plexiglass.

And yes, we'll do it again.
Trasumanar

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the pics! It is now obvious that the previous owner had started already with a door upgrade project - doors have new handles but the lock is still in the original position. It seems that those two systems are not compatible with each other. Need probably figure out some custom solution how to connect the old lock with the new latch Confused I guess that you could see where is the disconnect from following pictures:

https://goo.gl/photos/2xMTCzqY4TvnfUBb9

Kirk, your picture helps a lot, would you be so kind and make picture also of the left door? if it would be visible how the lock is attached to the latch it may be very helpful!
captnkirk
100+ Posts

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if I have a better picture of the lock . Look at you picture though it looks like the key lock is up side down. The pawl on the lock should point at the latch when locked it should the engage the little L shaped on on the handle which prevents the latch from moving to open the door. It may also be a bit to far forward but that is hard to see in your photos. The lock should line up with the forward whole in the bracket. There should be a large nut holding the lock just loosen that and rotate the lock 180 degrees . I'll go thru my photos when I get back to my office to see if I have any better views.
captnkirk
100+ Posts

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trasumanar sorry I don't have any better photos and the door is covered at this point if I open it up again I will post some more photos. I was rushing to get finished and did not take a lot of photos.
captnkirk
100+ Posts

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary looking at the drawing there is a strip of skin across the door that could be replaced over the plexi so if you get that itch it could be scratched.
captnkirk
100+ Posts

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://flic.kr/p/QxBEbT
Here is the drawing for the lock maybe that will help
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MaulePilots.Org Forum Index -> Mx, Repair & Technical questions All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: