FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
pefecting wheel landings
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MaulePilots.Org Forum Index -> Connect with other Maule pilots in your area
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim Aslanides

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:50 pm    Post subject: pefecting wheel landings Reply with quote

As a new M-7 owner, practicing wheel landings was one of the most frustrating yet funnest time that I have ever had.

Once I got over being afraid to push the yoke hard forward prior to touching the wheels, the landings improved quickly.

Straight track, slight power, shallow descent and fly the nose thru the runway was the trick for me.

wonderful airplane but demands attention to the chalks.
Wont trade it for any other Tail wheel airplane.
MauleMechanic
100+ Posts

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the party!!!!! Mr. Green
chris erasmus
100+ Posts

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a difficult and counter intuitive art to master but very worthwhile in the long run . Has a very real application in high gusting crosswind like we have in South Africa , just make sure you have enough runway, as the tail comes down your feet will dance on the rudders
Steelroamer
100+ Posts

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fly the nose thru the runway?

can you expand for newbies like me?

I'm just getting the hang of it as well

thanks
chris erasmus
100+ Posts

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only tell you what I do. I keep about 1500 rpm. And fly my approach at 65 mph. I deliberately fly the plane onto the ground, usually a power on approach, dragging the plane in. On touchdown, kick her straight, positive stick forward to keep the tail up, shut down the power and dump the flaps, always keeping the aileron into the wind. I like to apply brakes early on to help me through the transition speed as quickly as possible. As soon as the tail sinks pul the stick as far back as you can and hold it there, you can now apply heavy braking and bring the plane to a stop.
I have found that with wheel landings, I use about 50% more runway. There are expert out there that can do a wheel landing much shorter, but I haven't mastered that, I am still a bit sensitive on the brakes.
Good luck with your flying, the maule is a great plane
MauleMechanic
100+ Posts

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris erasmus wrote:
I can only tell you what I do. I keep about 1500 rpm. And fly my approach at 65 mph. I deliberately fly the plane onto the ground, usually a power on approach, dragging the plane in. On touchdown, kick her straight, positive stick forward to keep the tail up, shut down the power and dump the flaps, always keeping the aileron into the wind. I like to apply brakes early on to help me through the transition speed as quickly as possible. As soon as the tail sinks pul the stick as far back as you can and hold it there, you can now apply heavy braking and bring the plane to a stop.
I have found that with wheel landings, I use about 50% more runway. There are expert out there that can do a wheel landing much shorter, but I haven't mastered that, I am still a bit sensitive on the brakes.
Good luck with your flying, the maule is a great plane

Kind of resembles what one does when taking off in a Maule, just reversed!
51598Rob
100+ Posts

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...don't fly the nose through the runway... You can land on the wheels at any speed! Trim slightly forward, and relax the back pressure where you would usually flare to stall. After a while you won't need to trim...or even think about it.....also, you certainly don't need power. Any "setup" can give you either landing.
Hottshot
100+ Posts

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said Rob, I normally bring it in full stall and roll up to wheely as needed, high approach speed will get you in trouble if you are not on the ball... well so can too slow.. Heck just fly the airplane..hahah
www.backcountryconnection.com
gbarrier
100+ Posts

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"just fly the airplane". I like that. Some professionals out there that could use that advice.
captnkirk
100+ Posts

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Just fly the plane" is the bottom line the mighty airbus has 246 processors seven different operating systems and five different programing languages "it takes multiple failures of redundant systems for a catastrophic failure" unless you hit a couple of geese then all bets are off. I see it every day some one expects the same technique to work every time. It may get you close but always be ready to adapt to the changing situations. Jeremy says there are 40 plus ways to land a Maule have fun and practice them all.
gbarrier
100+ Posts

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kirk, you might especially appreciate this old training film.

Vimeo.com/m/64502012
MauleMechanic
100+ Posts

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

captnkirk wrote:
"Just fly the plane" is the bottom line the mighty airbus has 246 processors seven different operating systems and five different programing languages "it takes multiple failures of redundant systems for a catastrophic failure" unless you hit a couple of geese then all bets are off. I see it every day some one expects the same technique to work every time. It may get you close but always be ready to adapt to the changing situations. Jeremy says there are 40 plus ways to land a Maule have fun and practice them all.

Who's Jeremy? Rolling Eyes
captnkirk
100+ Posts

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep gbarrier they have start showing that one again . With the merger and retirements we are starting to hire some pilots for the first time in years. Some of the young guys have always flown glass and most of our procedures use autopilots pretty heavily. Automation is great until it isn't and then it boils down to" just fly the plane". Something I think everyone here will agree is the most fun anyway
maules.com
100+ Posts

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually capnkirk, its 80.
5 flap positions
4 primary wind directions
4 primarily differentiated landings
5x4x4=80 to enable pro-active landings instead of the usually taught re-active methods.

Last edited by maules.com on Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
MauleMechanic
100+ Posts

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MauleMechanic wrote:
captnkirk wrote:

Who's Jeremy? Rolling Eyes

Well that's embarrassing Embarassed

Was suppose to be the one next to it Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MaulePilots.Org Forum Index -> Connect with other Maule pilots in your area All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: