FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Wheel Spats MX7180B

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MXS

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:54 pm    Post subject: Wheel Spats MX7180B Reply with quote

Wondered if anyone has fitted wheel fairings or spats to a Maule and if so has there been any advantage at cruise speed.
If so can anyone give me detail of where I can source a pair.
Greg
Lowflybye

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you bought a Maule for speed then you bought the wrong airplane...especilly an MX7-180. Some of the older Maule models came with wheel spats from the factory, but they are harder to find than hens teeth now. They tore up easily if you landed off pavement, you could not put bigger tires on, and if you upgrade to the HD gear legs there is not a place to mount them.

I am sure there is a set laying around collecting dust somewhere that the owner would be willing to part with...good luck. Wink

Still a bit cloudy when it comes to aviation insurance? Find some clarity: Clear on Top
Ernie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely. I think you'd have a hard time proving that they were good for any additional speed, and they come with all the disadvantages listed above. Spend your extra money on fuel, and enjoy a great airplane as is.
N949JH

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MXS,
I have a set of wheel fairings that came on a Maule I bought a few years ago. I picked it up in California and was amazed how fast it was on the way home to Alaska...at 23"/2300 rpm I was in the upper yellow arc and had to cruise at 22/2200. Once I got here though, the first thing I did was get rid of the fairings 'cuz I was afraid of being teased by the big kids. I also replaced the girl tires with a set of man tires and got things right. I lost about 20 knots of speed but can't tell you how much was due to removing the wheel fairings. I still have 'em though if you want 'em.
Mike
chazdevil

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I"ll post my numbers. I'm putting on a set when I hang the "girly man" tires on for some long cross country flights. Untill I find that large sack of money I misplaced to buy multiple aircraft, I've got to try and make mine do all the roles.
maules.com

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though the spats were initially for 6.00x6 tyres, they can be fitted and trimmed to go on 7.00x6 and the wider 8.00x6.
aero101

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now if they only made some Spats for the 31" Bushwheels, HHhhhmmm! Rolling Eyes

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.
J12345T

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:36 pm    Post subject: Speed Spat Numbers Reply with quote

Hi All,

Sorry to dredge up an old thread but I can't seem to find any 'numbers' regarding adding the spats.

Has anyone measured the speed/fuel flow difference between spats and no spats.

Cheers,

JT.
a64pilot

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not yet, but I just got through putting a set on My M-6. For all of the Hoopla against them, it should be noted that I can take them off faster than you can remove the hubcap. The hubcap is held on with three screws, the spats, one 10x32 bolt each, so maybe one min. for both? From the first impression I think they are worth maybe 2 to 3 mph, which is more than I thought to be honest. I am running 6.00x6" 10 ply tires, actually Thrush tailwheel tires to be exact. I think dimensionally they are almost the same as a 7" tire. The size of a tire varies by manufacturer.
I too have to have my aircraft cover all of the bases and when the mission is cross country from one mile long paved runway to another, the spats make sense to me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MaulePilots.Org Forum Index -> Modifications All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: