FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Oil pressure Gauge movement
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MaulePilots.Org Forum Index -> Mx, Repair & Technical questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Njacko
100+ Posts

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick note of thanks and some feedback in case anyone else has the same problem:

The orifice in my (original?) 45 degree angle fitting was about 0.065” diameter.

The flexible hose to the gauge was practically empty (no oil in it).

Brazing and re-drilling the orifice to 0.040” has vastly reduced the gauge needle vibration when the oil is hot (it is steady as a rock when cold). An even smaller hole might have been better, but 1 mm was the smallest drill to hand.

So, success, although the smaller orifice seems like treating the symptom rather than the underlying cause. Does anyone know what causes the pulsating pressure in the oil gallery of a Lycoming engine?
maules.com
100+ Posts

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot remember the reason but it is a known entity at that particular gallery. A different gallery access will be different. I believe someone at the factory explained it to me long long ago.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MaulePilots.Org Forum Index -> Mx, Repair & Technical questions All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: