FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
problem: stuck rudder trim
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MaulePilots.Org Forum Index -> Mx, Repair & Technical questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy Young
100+ Posts

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decent chance it is just worn out brushes, which can be changed with the alternator in place on many engines. Worth a look, anyway.
DeltaRomeo
100+ Posts

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GE 4509's pull 100 watts each, since you have a pair that'll be 200 watts or a little over 16 amps of current. That's a big job for an already loaded system when the radio, transponder, panel lights (yes they are always on), etc. The landing lights were never intended to be used continuously as we do these days for see and be seen strategies. If you'll convert to LED landing lights the load will drop to 25 to 40% of that and you won't have any issues.
www.lonestarmaules.com
Andy Young
100+ Posts

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine never had any trouble keeping up with all that even before I went to LEDs, and I always ran with all lights on. Of course, it does depend on the output capacity of your alternator vs the load. DeltaRomeo might be right; you may simply be drawing more than the alternator is designed to put out.
crbnunit
100+ Posts

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never regretted switching to LED landing lights. Less current draw, brighter white light, never worry about burnout at an inopportune time and they are on and blinking constantly. A real attention getter for other planes.
andy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's especially noticeable when you are taxiing at night with the landing light(s) or taxi light on so you can see where you're going. LED landing lights draw about 1.4 amps while the GE Q4509 100 watt light draws about 8.3 amps. When your RPM is low, the alternator doesn't generate as much voltage or current. 16.6 amps just for the lights would be a big load at 1000 RPM and you would probably see the ammeter deflect to the left with a discharge. The alternator off light might also come on. Besides being much lower in current drain and much brighter, LED lights are almost immune to thermal and mechanical shock. Turning them on and off doesn't wear them out like a filament light and vibration won't bother them. It takes very little time to replace the Q4509 with a LED landing or taxi light. Most of it is FAA paperwork. So the installation cost is minimal.
Ron Hallmark

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks loads for the info guys. I am definitely going to replace the Q4509s with LEDs, they are a little pricey though. I may be looking at the wrong ones but Aircraft Spruce has the replacement for the 4509s listed at about $258 each. The alternator on my M-5 is VERY old and worn looking, so a replacement might be necessary if the brushes don't fix it. A & P coming over next Friday for that and a few other little issues. Flying with nothing on but strobe, radio and transponder for now. Thanks again guys for all of your input.
Ron Hallmark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Stinger
100+ Posts

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron Hallmark wrote:
Thanks loads for the info guys. I am definitely going to replace the Q4509s with LEDs, they are a little pricey though. I may be looking at the wrong ones but Aircraft Spruce has the replacement for the 4509s listed at about $258 each. The alternator on my M-5 is VERY old and worn looking, so a replacement might be necessary if the brushes don't fix it. A & P coming over next Friday for that and a few other little issues. Flying with nothing on but strobe, radio and transponder for now. Thanks again guys for all of your input.
Ron Hallmark

Check out the Rigid PAR36 LED landing lights. Currently at 220 each on Spruce.
Ron Hallmark

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like the best price. I will get them ordered soon. Thanks for the info.
Ron
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MaulePilots.Org Forum Index -> Mx, Repair & Technical questions All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: