FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Garmin updates

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MaulePilots.Org Forum Index -> Mx, Repair & Technical questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
captnkirk
100+ Posts

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 3:42 pm    Post subject: Garmin updates Reply with quote

I just upgraded my 250xl to a 430w and time had come to update the data bases. I had been using Jeppesen for the 250 ( the only option) just once a year because it was a vfr unit. With the 430w I had a choice and thought the bundle from Garmin to be a better value. Now the fun begins I needed the Garmin card reader because Jeppesen and Garmin software don’t work on the others hardware. The 430 came with an older data card and at first it was the problem when I tried to download the nav data. The terrain and obstacles had been no problem but they are smaller files. Anyway got the new card and reader tried to up date and it locked up at 80% . Tried the other methods to no avail. Well after many hours with a Garmin support they finally said they had a batch of defective card readers. A new one was sent and all is well. I thought I would let every one here know Incase you have a newer card reader and are having any issues. I guess it is a function of older equipment not the lastest and greatest. Jepp still works but I have the us canada Mexico data along with terrain for less than Jeppesen US.
gbarrier
100+ Posts

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you keep the 250xl also? I buy both subscriptions from Jeep. It’s easy that way. Use the same sky bound adapter and same software.
captnkirk
100+ Posts

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I had a buyer but changed his mind I am going to sell it . I kept the kKX155 it would be nice to have one of the Garmin nav coms to drive the second RMI on the G5’s but it’s not in the budget .
Rezrider
100+ Posts

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a few different variations of card readers out there. You might try a different one. No need to pay top dollar from Garmin/Jepp just buy a used one on ebay.
Good luck, it can be infuriating and time consuming at times!
andy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At work we have mostly Garmin GTN 650 units but a few GNS 430 and 430W. We've been buying the Jeppesen NavData since it's more complete for North Carolina than Garmin's data, which doesn't include some smaller airports. We bought a SkyBound USB adapter from Jeppesen for the NavData updates to the GNS 430/430W but when we went to update the obstacle databases (a separate data card) we had to buy a different card reader from Garmin. Jeppesen didn't offer one. Then we discovered that the two 430 non-WAAS units needed new obstacle database cards that were only available from a Garmin dealer. Garmin wouldn't sell them directly and Jeppesen didn't sell them at all. The new obstacle data cards required a different card reader from Garmin and a software update for the GNS 430s. We finally got everything working but it took a while.
captnkirk
100+ Posts

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is a real mishmash with all of these older units I've got it all working now but it is a pain.
CaseyM
100+ Posts

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went through some frustration when I started updating my 530W also. I use the garmin updates with the garmin card reader now.

I have a Jeppesen Skybound G2 usb card reader if anyone wants it. ($50)
andy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have a Jeppesen Skybound USB card reader if anyone is interested. I don't need it now that I have a Garmin GTN 650.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MaulePilots.Org Forum Index -> Mx, Repair & Technical questions All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: