New Maule Pilot

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
cfwzm

New Maule Pilot

Post by cfwzm »

I recently bought a '68 M4 210C in Montreal. Next week I get to fly her home to Manitoba. Floats in the summer; skis in the winter. I'm looking forward to many years of fun, fun, fun. Hope to see you all at a fly-in sometime soon.

Duane
100+ Posts

Post by Duane »

Congratz on your new bird. Good to have ya here on the forums

gear
100+ Posts

Re: New Maule Pilot

Post by gear »

cfwzm wrote:I recently bought a '68 M4 210C in Montreal. Next week I get to fly her home to Manitoba. Floats in the summer; skis in the winter. I'm looking forward to many years of fun, fun, fun. Hope to see you all at a fly-in sometime soon.
Hey - CFWZM - you leaving the plane at Falcon Lake? I just bought a Maule this year as well (M5-235) and heard a guy from around there just bought a Maule.

garth
'78 M5-235C, Edo 2440's

SkyMaule
100+ Posts

Post by SkyMaule »

youre gonna love it! enjoy"! :lol:
1975 Maule M5-210C

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

My particular favorite! Run it hard and often, a great bird, enjoy!
Live it like its your last day.

Green Hornet
100+ Posts

Post by Green Hornet »

Welcome to a select club of aviators who love their aircraft with passion. If you have questions about maintenance, modifications or flying technique you have entered a forum of very knowledgeable sharing aircraft owners.
Congratulations and Safe Flying
Bill
1997-M7-235C, 540 I/O

WOC SPOT

albury

Post by albury »

Bill has this exactly right -- I have owned mine for about 9 months, it is amazing how generous the members are with their time and wealth of knowledge. Won't say its half the fun of owning a Maule -- but surely helps when the weather is below your minimums!

cfwzm

Post by cfwzm »

Hi All,
Thanks for the well wishes, etc. Garth, yes I have Paul W. building a dock for me right next to your airplane. Hope to meet you soon.
I had a good trip back and the plane now sits in Minaki, ON because I had a mechanical glitch on the way back. I push the starter button and just a click and nothing ?)(!! I was lucky enough to have good help along the way and each time we were able to turn the engine enough (bypassing solenoid) to get it to start, but it was a big pain pulling off the cowl each time. Does this sound like a solenoid problem to you guys or a starter problem, or both? Currently I plan to replace it all, but if it's only a solenoid it might be a bit redundant to replace the starter?
Anyways, thanks again and talk to you all soon.

cfwzm
Andy

Green Hornet
100+ Posts

Post by Green Hornet »

cfwzm wrote:Hi All,
Thanks for the well wishes, etc. Garth, yes I have Paul W. building a dock for me right next to your airplane. Hope to meet you soon.
I had a good trip back and the plane now sits in Minaki, ON because I had a mechanical glitch on the way back. I push the starter button and just a click and nothing ?)(!! I was lucky enough to have good help along the way and each time we were able to turn the engine enough (bypassing solenoid) to get it to start, but it was a big pain pulling off the cowl each time. Does this sound like a solenoid problem to you guys or a starter problem, or both? Currently I plan to replace it all, but if it's only a solenoid it might be a bit redundant to replace the starter?

cfwzm
Andy
How long was it sitting without starting? Aircraft batteries will eat themselves if not trickled charge for 60 days or less. With that said I have replaced the solenoid and the ignition switch. However the ignition problem was intermittent start. Jiggling the key was the only way for a short while to get it started but eventually that did not work. I changed the solenoid after starting was a problem with a new battery.
If you are going to keep the aircraft outdoors on floats take a look at this it works like a charm for me. Battery always charged! Solar Panel

http://www.batterystuff.com/solar-chargers/PF12w.html

The last item to check if a 210 has one is the Lamar Alternator control unit. Check your maual parts list I found mine under the panel right seat. Easy to replace check it with a volt meter.
1997-M7-235C, 540 I/O

WOC SPOT

gear
100+ Posts

Post by gear »

cfwzm wrote:Hi All,

cfwzm
Andy
Congrats Andy! Your docks are in and ready to go. I got 7 hours of float flying in this past weekend - it was awesome. See you around there.

Good luck with the starter.
garth
'78 M5-235C, Edo 2440's

cfwzm

Post by cfwzm »

Thanks for the info. The plane was not sitting for any time before this started happening. We flew 4 hours a day for the previous few days getting my float rating and it started fine every day and this problem only started happening 1/2 way home. I had a mechanic look at it and he pulled the starter, cleaned it up, fixed a potential problem with a bad weld. He recommended replacing the starter when I got home, but figured it would last the season anyways. It worked the first start, but the problem returned at my next stop. I'm guessing the starter is fine and the problem with the solenoid, but I'm looking at replacing the works since none of this was replaced or overhauled at the last engine overhaul which is still under 200hrs.
Garth, thanks for the heads up on the docks. If I have my starter issues sorted out by the weekend I'll probably move the airplane on Friday or Saturday. Perhaps I'll see you then.

Andy.[/quote]

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

Bad ground, bad solenoid, bad starter bendix are where I'd start, but if able to jump the solenoid and will start that pretty much illiminates the starter?
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

Kirk
100+ Posts

Post by Kirk »

Check out the troubleshooting guide on S-Tec's website: http://skytecair.com/Troubleshooting.htm

This is the best and easiest I've ever found. I printed it out and stuck it in the back of the Maule Maintenance Manual. It's worked like a charm. Haven't had a starting problem since!

Bit if I do, I know where to start.

Kirk

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Not to be picky Kirk, but S-tec are the Auto pilot company and Sky-tec is the starter/alternater company.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

gear
100+ Posts

Post by gear »

Andy,

Let me know if you need a ride up to Minaki when you get it - I'd be happy to fly you up there if I'm around. (Looking for excuses to go flying :lol: )

Garth
'78 M5-235C, Edo 2440's