Big Wheels

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
liveoakrick

Big Wheels

Post by liveoakrick »

I am considering putting on bushwheels on my MX7-180A and changing the maule tail wheel to a Scott tail wheel. I had considered going with the heavier tundra tail wheel but want the option of changing back to street tires without changing the tail wheel. I understand that it is not FAA approved to fly with small tires and the big tundra tail wheel. Any one out there care to comment.

Rick

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

What's wrong with the Maule tail wheel?
If you want a Scott I think the only smart option you have is to get one from Alaska Bushwheels, they have an STC. Yes you can get a field approval for a Scott, but I believe you would end up spending more money and a LOT more hassle. Just buy the Scott from Wup at Alaska Bushwheels and be done with it. It will cost you as much as 4 or 5 Maule tailwheels though.

MikeW
100+ Posts

Post by MikeW »

Another thing you could do is add a leaf spring or two to your assembly to beef it up. It works good if you don't really need a wide tire back there.

Mike

dunbarst

Maule Tailwheel hubcap

Post by dunbarst »

Since we are on the subject of Maule Tailwheels what is the secret of keeping the hubcap on ? There must be dozens of them scattered accross the country.

Strata Rocketeer

Post by Strata Rocketeer »

dunbarst wrote:Since we are on the subject of Maule Tailwheels what is the secret of keeping the hubcap on ? There must be dozens of them scattered accross the country.
The idea is to populate the countryside with Maule tailwheel hubcaps.

That way when you discover you lost yours a replacement is only a short walk along the edge of your nearest runway. :)
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Re: Maule Tailwheel hubcap

Post by a64pilot »

dunbarst wrote:Since we are on the subject of Maule Tailwheels what is the secret of keeping the hubcap on ? There must be dozens of them scattered accross the country.
I honestly don't know, I've not had mine fall off yet. I have heard other people lose theirs often. Maybe you could tap the lip on the wheel down with a rubber mallet to tighten up the fit?

Chopper206

BushWheel 1¾" tailwheel spring

Post by Chopper206 »

Just installed the 1¾" BushWheel tailwheel spring. Very simple installation. Just bolts in as a substitute for the original. Mine was getting pretty saggy. This new spring puts the Scott hub at the right angle for proper castering and solves a wee shimmy problem I had before. Great service from Alaska BushWheel--this time the spring and some other stuff I ordered arrived in the Canadian Arctic in less than a week. Incredible!!
M5-235C in the Canadian Arctic
26" Alaska Bushwheel tundra tires
Alaska Bushwheel Scott Tailwheel
HF Radio--talk to the world! VYØDU

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

To keep your hubcap, properly bed the circlip retainer in it's groove
Jeremy

N6EA

Post by N6EA »

maules.com wrote:To keep your hubcap, properly bed the circlip retainer in it's groove
Jeremy
I concur, since I have used a flat tip screwdriver to tap the circlip into the groove (after airing up) I have not lost a hubcap.

BTW, Does this mean Jeremy is back from Alaska???

Mark
1971 M4-220C
"You can land anywhere, once..."

dunbarst

Post by dunbarst »

Thanks, I'll try the screwdriver trick next time. I sure thought it was in tight but I never seated it with a hammer!

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Not back yet but I found a library with 15min computer access.
Jeremy

yellowbelly

Post by yellowbelly »

To keep your hubcap, properly bed the circlip retainer in it's groove
Totally right Jeremy. I opened up the circlip a bit to provide some more seating load on my last installation. It has set a new personal best, having survived quite a few landings, some of which are not open for discussion, and even a few light shimmy episodes. Just for insurance, I'm gonna try N6EA's screwdriver trick.

YB

dickbutz

Post by dickbutz »

I changed to an Alaskan Bushwheel (Scott Clone) tailwheel and have been using two Maule heavy springs and three chain links each side with the new type closed and pinned connectors with reasonable success...I had finally demolished my Maule wheel and replaced it with a new one but I just could not get good positive steering with it...Kinda spongy...The Bushwheel setup seems much more positive but the Maule is Soooo heavy on the tailwheel to begin with I wish I could get something that would steer like a Citabria...Dick
Old pilots never die they just fly away...