M4 Main Tank - Fuel Sender Removal

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

robw

M4 Main Tank - Fuel Sender Removal

Post by robw »

I need to remove the fuel sensor from the RH main fuel tank on an M4-220C for repair. Can you get the sensor out through the wing root area or do you need to take the tank out of the wing first and then remove the sensor?

Thanks in advance

Rob

Duane
100+ Posts

Post by Duane »

Should be able to remove via the zippered inspection hole in the headliner. May not be the easiest, but easier than removing the tank.

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

Most likely, you'll want to remove the headliner from that area as the opening is rather small for two hands and when re-sealing with the "Goop", I know I'd get it all over. Pretty easy job though.
Live it like its your last day.

SkyMaule
100+ Posts

Post by SkyMaule »

we just had both sending units out. Had a lot of trouble with leaks going back in. Ended up using those washers with the o-ring in them (i forget what they are called.) Ended up taking the RH tank out because it was harder to access the screw heads. We had the headliner out at the time. Taking the tank out wasnt too bad of a job. If you do take the tank out be sure and center the fuel drain over the hole again. (we didnt) live and learn.
1975 Maule M5-210C

robw

Post by robw »

Thanks for all the good info guys. I'll probably try the headliner approach first, but I'll let you know how it turns out.

Cheers

Rob

robw

Post by robw »

Managed to get the sensor out this weekend. Didn't have enough "space" to access it through the zippered hole in the headliner, so took off the top root fairing and was able to get the sensor out that way. Packed up and ready for shipping to Air-Parts of Lock Haven for repair.