OAT probe

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
Green Hornet
100+ Posts

OAT probe

Post by Green Hornet »

Anybody install and OAT probe to & from any engine analyzer. I installed the UBG-16 Bar Graph last year. This summer I put in a swing out window left seat and patroller windows below. The OAT gage in the window was frozen and broke during removal. With winter upon us I am going to get that OAT installed before crossing any mountains and was curious as to placement of the probe? The instructions warn against under belly or near the engine heat. I am hoping someone may have gone through the trial and error thought process.
Thanks in Advance for any inputs!
Bill
1997-M7-235C, 540 I/O

WOC SPOT

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

I have a JPI EDM-800 engine analyzer in my 1986 MX-7-180 and have installed just about all the sensors. I put the OAT sensor about 6 inches below the probe installed by Maule on the right side between the door and cowling. That way there wasn't much difference between the Maule temperature gauge and the JPI - which made it easier to calibrate the JPI. It's also easier to install the proble and route the wiring since inside access is good once the side panel is removed. By not having the probe on the door, I avoided moving wires, which will eventually fatigue and break.

Green Hornet
100+ Posts

Post by Green Hornet »

Andy,
Thanks for the input sounds like the perfect spot :D
FlySafe
Bill
1997-M7-235C, 540 I/O

WOC SPOT

Duane
100+ Posts

Post by Duane »

just a fyi.. at the factory, the jpi probe is mounted underneath the right wing leading edge. may require little more wire running, but it is shielded from the direct sun in this position.

Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I just installed a JPI-800 and I put my probe on the pilots side under the wing in the inspection plate closet to the fuseluage at the rear of the wing.

That way I felt I'm not putting any more wholes in the plane just a inspection cover and it close enough to the plane I won't hit my head on it.
It's e-z to get to also.

Kirk
100+ Posts

Post by Kirk »

I put mine in the end plate of the lower wing strut fairing. The wires sneaked out the boot cowl right where the lower wing strut attach point is and then the wires are zip tied to the strut.

The fairing covers the whole deal up and drilling a hole in the end plate of the fairing was easy. It was a pretty good low drag location since it is in between the struts.

Kirk

Mathew Sharp

Post by Mathew Sharp »

*double click OOPS!*
Last edited by Mathew Sharp on Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
EI TECH SUPPORT
Electronics International Inc.
www.buy-ei.com

Mathew Sharp

Post by Mathew Sharp »

All the previous posts are Ok with us!

Anywhere you get air that has no residual heat from exhaust or engine heat is fine.

On our Navion we put the OAT sensor down in the lower cowling forward of the exhaust.

Like one of the other posters did, I also see a lot of guys running the thermocouple out to the underside of a wing and poking through the skin near an inspection plate.

Please let me know if I can help!

Matt
EI TECH SUPPORT
www.buy-ei.com

Green Hornet
100+ Posts

Post by Green Hornet »

Matt and others,
Thanks for the responses. I have to commend EI I never expected a reply from EI tech support on the Maule Site. Matt do you fly a Maule. Either way welcome to the site. I am leaning toward the under wing inspection plate approach and really appreciate all the inputs. :D
Bill
1997-M7-235C, 540 I/O

WOC SPOT

Mathew Sharp

Post by Mathew Sharp »

Hey no problem!

What can I say, I like to lurk.
:mrgreen:
No I do not own a Maule unfortunately but aside from wanting to provide EI customers support where ever they may be, I am personally obsessed with back country and "off field" aviation. As a result, much to the dismay of my boss, I spend a ton of time on the various forums. supercub.org, backcountrypilot.org, taildragger.info, and some others.

If I can ever be of assistance be sure to give me a shout!

Matt
EI TECH SUPPORT
www.buy-ei.com

Green Hornet
100+ Posts

Post by Green Hornet »

Matt,
I was an executive for a semiconductor corporation and one of the departments that reported to me was Quality Assurance. Feel free to pass this on to your boss.
Your customer support where ever it is found attitude is what customer satisfaction is all about. The good will you promote is worth big bucks from a marketing point of view. Aviation is a small community with competition and great tech support separates the winners from the losers.
Thanks again for letting us know your ready willing and able to help!
Bill
1997-M7-235C, 540 I/O

WOC SPOT

Mathew Sharp

Post by Mathew Sharp »

Thank you for that, I really appreciate it. :D

Have a great holiday!

Matt
EI TECH SUPPORT
www.buy-ei.com

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

One good thing about the EI is that you can set alarms. For example if your worried about icing, you can set the alarm for a set temp. when that temp is reached, it alarms and a flashing light will alert you that you are now flying into temps where icing is possible. You can do the same for oil pressure and temp. I'm not saying to ignore the gauges, but I like the fact that I can set alarm points to alert me of an impending problem, before it's an emergency.

Green Hornet
100+ Posts

Post by Green Hornet »

a64pilot wrote:One good thing about the EI is that you can set alarms. For example if your worried about icing, you can set the alarm for a set temp. when that temp is reached, it alarms and a flashing light will alert you that you are now flying into temps where icing is possible. You can do the same for oil pressure and temp. I'm not saying to ignore the gauges, but I like the fact that I can set alarm points to alert me of an impending problem, before it's an emergency.
Jody thanks for the input I really need to expand my use of the system more.
I am going to install the OAT and the oil temp and pressure soon.
Bill
1997-M7-235C, 540 I/O

WOC SPOT

Green Hornet
100+ Posts

Post by Green Hornet »

a64pilot wrote:One good thing about the EI is that you can set alarms. For example if your worried about icing, you can set the alarm for a set temp. when that temp is reached, it alarms and a flashing light will alert you that you are now flying into temps where icing is possible. You can do the same for oil pressure and temp. I'm not saying to ignore the gauges, but I like the fact that I can set alarm points to alert me of an impending problem, before it's an emergency.
I just ordered the OAT and the Oil temp probes from EI and thanks to Matt Sharp I got a real nice discount. So if anyone is thinking of a Christmas present to yourself call Matt :D
1997-M7-235C, 540 I/O

WOC SPOT