I'm now a Maule owner

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
51E

I'm now a Maule owner

Post by 51E »

I'm new here and want to introduce myself, now that I will be flying a Maule. Yesterday I handed a guy a check (drawn on WaMi) and flew a 1982 M6-235 home to PAE.

I look forward to getting acquainted with this aeroplane and I hope you'll entertain various questions I'll surely have as I do so.

Joseph

DonMc

New Owner

Post by DonMc »

Congratulations on owning your NEW Maule. You will enjoy it for sure.

Welcome to the Maule Website as well. Lots of good information here. Great guys with a sense of humor!

Don

Lowflybye
100+ Posts

Post by Lowflybye »

Joseph-

Good to hear the purchase went as planned and the flight home was enjoyable. Welcome to the website.

-Chris
"To most people, the sky is the limit. To a pilot, the sky is home."

Still a bit cloudy when it comes to aviation insurance? Find some clarity: Clear on Top

51E

Post by 51E »

Thanks, Chris. The flight home was a pleasure. CAVU, beautiful overflight of Mt. St. Helens...tailwind, smooth air...new airplane...what more can a lucky guy need?!

Green Hornet
100+ Posts

Post by Green Hornet »

Joesph,
Welcome to the site! You will find a wealth of knowledge from many of the pilot / owners in connection with Maule. I am going on my 3rd year of ownership of a M7-235C and I have never asked a question that did not get answered. I have found the suggestions to be thoughtful and helpful.
It is more than comforting to have a resource to go to when you have an issue with your aircraft.
In addition flying technique questions are of great value to learn different approaches to overcoming personal concerns while flying our Maule's.
Congratulations on your purchase and enjoy the journey.
Bill
1997-M7-235C, 540 I/O

WOC SPOT

51E

Post by 51E »

Thanks, Bill. Yes, I expect to benefit from the wealth of information available here.

At the moment, I need to figure out power and mixture settings. On the flight home, at 8500 ft, I had about 21" and 2200rpm and 13gph. I'd thought I would have less fuel flow than that, but I was cautious about leaning more because I am not confident about the accuracy of either the fuel flow gauge or the EGT gauge.

I wonder if there is a resource somewhere for recommended power settings for particular fuel flow and/or speeds.

Joseph

Green Hornet
100+ Posts

Post by Green Hornet »

This subject has been discussed on the site at length. You can use the search button upper right and it will take you to the threads. There are pilots who have been owners and pilots for 1000's of hours who know a lot more than I do. You can peruse at your leisure.
I have found that 12gph 22/22 works at cruise well for my engine in smooth air. I have an EGI CHT/ EGT engine anlyzer for the last 2 years that gives a more precise temp reading of CHT then the analog gage. The 235 tends to run high oil temp @ 4 needles below redline on the gage in hot humid OAT. I intend to add oil temp to my system fairly soon but oil temp is another subject that has been discussed at length on the forum. The EI system gives one a lot of peace of mind.
You can search for any subject of interest and if you want to ask questions by all means ask away. I have found that there is always somebody who has been there seen it, done it, at one time or another.
1997-M7-235C, 540 I/O

WOC SPOT

mauleace

EGT

Post by mauleace »

joseph wrote:At the moment, I need to figure out power and mixture settings. On the flight home, at 8500 ft, I had about 21" and 2200rpm and 13gph. I'd thought I would have less fuel flow than that, but I was cautious about leaning more because I am not confident about the accuracy of either the fuel flow gauge or the EGT gauge.

I wonder if there is a resource somewhere for recommended power settings for particular fuel flow and/or speeds.

Joseph
I flew my M5235C for almost 10 years with the single cylinder EGT gauge that Maule installed. I used the gradually lean to peak and a stumble and then enrich to somwhere south of peak method. I now have an EI gauge and have a lot more information and probably a little more accurate leaning. But the O540 is a good engine and CHT is well behaved in my plane. I don't think I have heard of CHT problems with the O540s in Maules.
Last edited by mauleace on Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Never feel sorry for a man who owns an airplane" Charles Morse (Anthony Hopkins) The Edge

TomD
100+ Posts

Joseph

Post by TomD »

I am just down the hill at S43 with an M5-235.

Drop me a PM and we can hook up for a flight tire kicking etc.

Tom

cj8vet

Post by cj8vet »

congratulations Joseph, I don't know about the rest of ya'll but I sure get a smile onmy face when I hear another Maule on the radio. yesterday there were atleast 3 of us flying around texas I heard 1 guy south of D-FW and there was one passing thru ERV when I got home, I nice M7-260
mark
aka cj8vet
MXT-180
234PP
cj8vet
mark richardson
MXT-180
N234PP

Green Hornet
100+ Posts

Post by Green Hornet »

cj8vet wrote:congratulations Joseph, I don't know about the rest of ya'll but I sure get a smile onmy face when I hear another Maule on the radio. yesterday there were atleast 3 of us flying around texas I heard 1 guy south of D-FW and there was one passing thru ERV when I got home, I nice M7-260
mark
aka cj8vet
MXT-180
234PP
Hey Mark,
I couldn't agree more in regards to sharing airspace with a fellow Mauler :D
How are things going since you got your IFR endorsement? Any real time use?
I had the Patrol Doors, VG's and Zoan TCAS added.
The best addition was the cheapest! Jeremy posted in a thread about using electrical tape on the middle of the dash of the left seat and then on the cowl about 6 inches from the prop center to the left side lined up with the dash tape. The idea to make a centerline guide in order to land the aircraft straight. I used red tape and for an X Citabria pilot ( center use to be center prop) it has certainly aided in hitting center line straight and adjust my perception of center.
FlySafe
Bill
1997-M7-235C, 540 I/O

WOC SPOT

vaughans

Maule

Post by vaughans »

Congatulations Joseph!
Is that the one from Oregon on Barnstormers? If it is, looks like you bought a nice airplane with the upgraded ailerons, three blade, bushwheels, all the goodies! How was the transition for you ? You will now learn to love the maule simplicity & performance! Best of luck with the new stead!

m4220 :wink:

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

joseph wrote:Thanks, Bill. Yes, I expect to benefit from the wealth of information available here.

At the moment, I need to figure out power and mixture settings. On the flight home, at 8500 ft, I had about 21" and 2200rpm and 13gph. I'd thought I would have less fuel flow than that, but I was cautious about leaning more because I am not confident about the accuracy of either the fuel flow gauge or the EGT gauge.

Joseph
You have an I/O right? I also have an 83 M-6 with the I/O 540W1A5D. Do you have drooped wing tips?
Anyway at 8500 full throttle gives me 22" and 2200 RPM at 50 ROP gives me 11.1 GPH by the EI digital fuel flow. The pressure gauge on the panel indicates 1.5 to 2 GPH more, but it is a pressure gauge marked in fuel flow so it does not measure flow, but indicates what the flow should be.
Your 21" and my 22" is probably just the difference in gauges.
Best economy and mix of performance for me is 2200 RPM and 22". I have GAMI's, and the EI analyzer. Lycoming allows operating at peak, but states for longest engine life operate 50 ROP.
Yesterday at 8500 I was playing with mixture etc., 50 ROP of my leanest cyl, #6, gave me 11.1 GPH. Peak cut .5 GPH, but lost a couple of knots. 25 LOP of my richest cyl, #5, got the fuel flow down to 9 GPH, but lost 15 kts.
Returning to 50 ROP, but reducing power to 9 GPH gave me the same speed and fuel flow as LOP did. 25 LOP is of course 25 hotter than 50 ROP for the mufflers, which is a known Maule weak point.
Lycoming is dead set against LOP. I don't see the advantage in this engine.
If your running big tires, the lower power setting you run the better for fuel efficiency. Big tires really kill cruise performance. 29 Airhawks cost me 10 kts. over 8.5's
My best speed with 8.5's is 132 to 136 kts. true between 9 and 11 thousand feet at full throttle, 2300 RPM and 50 ROP. Higher than 11, I slow down as well as lower than 9.
Most normally asperated aircraft the "sweet spot" is around 7500. I assume our longer, higher lift than normal wing is why mine is higher.
Call Lycoming's help desk. They will fax you a chart showing % power and fuel flows at different RPM at different altitudes. Much easier to read than the one in the owners manual.
The higher and heavier you are, the less effective the -7 flap setting is. Above 12,000 I'm faster with the flaps at 0 than I am at -7.

51E

Post by 51E »

Thanks very much for your note, Bill. I'll check those figures against what I find as I fly this week. Our engines appear to be the same. My tires are 8.50.

I'm also exploring which CHT/EGT to install.

Joseph

Green Hornet
100+ Posts

Post by Green Hornet »

a64pilot wrote:
joseph wrote:Thanks, Bill. Yes, I expect to benefit from the wealth of information available here.

Joseph
You have an I/O right? I also have an 83 M-6 with the I/O 540W1A5D. Do you have drooped wing tips?
Anyway at 8500 full throttle gives me 22" and 2200 RPM at 50 ROP gives me 11.1 GPH by the EI digital fuel flow. The pressure gauge on the panel indicates 1.5 to 2 GPH more, but it is a pressure gauge marked in fuel flow so it does not measure flow, but indicates what the flow should be.
Your 21" and my 22" is probably just the difference in gauges.
Best economy and mix of performance for me is 2200 RPM and 22". I have GAMI's, and the EI analyzer. Lycoming allows operating at peak, but states for longest engine life operate 50 ROP.
Yesterday at 8500 I was playing with mixture etc., 50 ROP of my leanest cyl, #6, gave me 11.1 GPH. Peak cut .5 GPH, but lost a couple of knots. 25 LOP of my richest cyl, #5, got the fuel flow down to 9 GPH, but lost 15 kts.
Returning to 50 ROP, but reducing power to 9 GPH gave me the same speed and fuel flow as LOP did. 25 LOP is of course 25 hotter than 50 ROP for the mufflers, which is a known Maule weak point.
Lycoming is dead set against LOP. I don't see the advantage in this engine.
If your running big tires, the lower power setting you run the better for fuel efficiency. Big tires really kill cruise performance. 29 Airhawks cost me 10 kts. over 8.5's
My best speed with 8.5's is 132 to 136 kts. true between 9 and 11 thousand feet at full throttle, 2300 RPM and 50 ROP. Higher than 11, I slow down as well as lower than 9.
Most normally asperated aircraft the "sweet spot" is around 7500. I assume our longer, higher lift than normal wing is why mine is higher.
Call Lycoming's help desk. They will fax you a chart showing % power and fuel flows at different RPM at different altitudes. Much easier to read than the one in the owners manual.
The higher and heavier you are, the less effective the -7 flap setting is.
Above 12,000 I'm faster with the flaps at 0 than I am at -7.
Jody,
What kind of wheels are you using on The Airhawk 29's. Are they AKB 1010's? or something different?
Thanks
Bill
1997-M7-235C, 540 I/O

WOC SPOT