Manifold/Fuel Pressure Gauge M-5 210

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

Maule-igan

Manifold/Fuel Pressure Gauge M-5 210

Post by Maule-igan »

Anybody have a line on a Manifold/Fuel Pressure gauge (AEROSONIC CORP P/N 735-103) for my M-5 210? I am just about to start my new motor for the first time and had one last thing to fix, the copper lines from the injection to the gauge. I ordered new ones from Maule and it came with different fittings that were needed on the gauge so we pulled it out. The old fittings were installed with some sort of epoxy and they would not come out. The gauge dropped out of my hand and broke the glass and the bezzle. :? Of course this happened on a weekend so I have been searching the internet to see if they are even available. Not having too much luck. I will call Maule on Monday to see if there is a replacement available. Any advise from my network of experts?
THANKS
BILL
1975 M-5 210C
Arlington Wa

UP-M5
100+ Posts

Post by UP-M5 »

you could try airparts of lockhaven. they overhaul and rebuild all sorts of obscure older items. their instrument shop did my manifold press/fuel press gauge. it works great now.
(800) 443-3117 or
(570) 748-0823

http://www.airpartsoflockhaven.com/
M5-235

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

Sorry to hear that you too have slippery fingers

SkyMaule
100+ Posts

Post by SkyMaule »

Bill,
How did you come out on your gauge? I could just see that happening to me too. Crap! I'm anxious to know about your overhaul. Did you have to get a new crank with the vacuum weld or whatever that special weld is? What did you do with your cylinders? Did you overhaul the Alternator? Was the cam or anything else coroded? What kind of money will you have in the overhaul? How many hours did were on it since the last o/h? Good luck with the gauge. Also hope that oil filter adapter works well. We had to put six washers behind the oil pressure regulator spring on mine. You probably already knew that. Would love to see your bird some time. Maybe next year at Johnson Creek. I love that place!

:) Mark
1975 Maule M5-210C

G-MAWL

IO 360 Overhaul

Post by G-MAWL »

In the middle of an M4 210C overhaul. Engine had 2400 when stripped. Thrust washers in several pieces, camshaft prop gov. end required repair also reground. New crank,cylinders/pistons, conrods, lifters plus the usual stuff. Probably around $14k on engine. Had to use Superior P.005 thrusts to get crank end float IAW specs.

Maule-igan

Post by Maule-igan »

I ended up buying a re-manufactured motor from Continental. There were more AD's on this motor and I new that I needed a new crank and such. Seemed like the $$ were adding up. I was having trouble finding somebody local that I trusted to rebuild the motor and so on. So I bit the bullet and bought from the factory. The price was very close for me when all was said.

I found an instrument shop that will repair and calibrate my fuel flow gauge but it will not be ready until a week from Thursday. So I am taking the day off and making sure that it goes in and N62039 is fired up. Stay tuned.. :D :D :D
THANKS
BILL
1975 M-5 210C
Arlington Wa

Maule-igan

Post by Maule-igan »

Got my gauge back today. I took it to a local Instrument repair shop and as rare as the case is, he had one. Cost $100 and it is fixed and calibrated. Going in the plane tomorrow. :P
THANKS
BILL
1975 M-5 210C
Arlington Wa

SkyMaule
100+ Posts

Post by SkyMaule »

Bill,
What a nice break! "no pun intended"!

Let us know when you get her fired up!

mark
1975 Maule M5-210C

SkyMaule
100+ Posts

Re: IO 360 Overhaul

Post by SkyMaule »

G-MAWL wrote:In the middle of an M4 210C overhaul. Engine had 2400 when stripped. Thrust washers in several pieces, camshaft prop gov. end required repair also reground. New crank,cylinders/pistons, conrods, lifters plus the usual stuff. Probably around $14k on engine. Had to use Superior P.005 thrusts to get crank end float IAW specs.
G-Mawl,
Did your airplane already have the new crankshaft? Did you find corrosion in your engine anywhere? Was there any other engine work done in that 2400 hours?

Mark
1975 Maule M5-210C

G-MAWL

IO 360A overhaul

Post by G-MAWL »

The only corrosion was on at the bottom of the oil filler cavity and metal tube. The first thing I do on exiting the plane on final shutdown for the day is open the oil cap and let all the steam out!
Various work done on cylinders including two new. Radial cracks just below the head. Nothing done to the crank/cam or rods etc. In fact crank was still way better than service limit but non VAR. Oil changed at 17-20 hours without fail. It was cheap then!

SkyMaule
100+ Posts

Post by SkyMaule »

G-Mawl,
good idea on the oil filler cap. I think in the US there is an AD on the crank. I think it has to be replaced with a VAR at overhaul. I have 1065 hours on mine. It is running great. I'm hoping for the best!

mark
1975 Maule M5-210C

Mathew Sharp

Post by Mathew Sharp »

I have a primary 2.25" Manifold psi gauge and various Fuel Pressure systems (primary AND secondary) but no two in ones that are STC'd as primary replacement for manifold and fuel psi.

Good luck!

Matt
EI TECH SUPPORT
Electronics International Inc.
www.buy-ei.com

Duane
100+ Posts

Post by Duane »

Matt, good to have you onboard.. can never have too many tech guys (gals) here.. welcome

Mathew Sharp

Post by Mathew Sharp »

Thank Duane!

:D
EI TECH SUPPORT
Electronics International Inc.
www.buy-ei.com

Maule-igan

Post by Maule-igan »

SkyMaule wrote:Bill,
How did you come out on your gauge? I could just see that happening to me too. Crap! I'm anxious to know about your overhaul. Did you have to get a new crank with the vacuum weld or whatever that special weld is? What did you do with your cylinders? Did you overhaul the Alternator? Was the cam or anything else coroded? What kind of money will you have in the overhaul? How many hours did were on it since the last o/h? Good luck with the gauge. Also hope that oil filter adapter works well. We had to put six washers behind the oil pressure regulator spring on mine. You probably already knew that. Would love to see your bird some time. Maybe next year at Johnson Creek. I love that place!

:) Mark
GOT THE PLANE INTO THE AIR FINALLY. I HAVE ABOUT 2 HOURS ON IT NOW AND THINGS ARE COMING ALONG. THE CHT IS STILL HIGH (NEVER RELLY BELOW 400 I AM READING THAT THIS WILL GO DOWN AFTER 10 TO 20 HOUR) AND I FOUND THAT THE TACH WAS READING 200 RPM. SLOW, BUT THAT IS ABOUT IT. IT HAS LOTS OF POWER AND STARTS VERY EASY. I AM THINKING THAT CHECKING THE METERED AND UNMETERED FUEL ON THE INJECTION MAKES ALL THE DIFFERENCE IN THE WORLD. I ALSO USED TO HAVE TO START LEANING ABOUT 2000 FEET WHICH IS NOT THE CASE ANYMORE. ANYWAY I AM HAPPY AS A LARK TO GET INTO THE AIR. GOTTA FLY!
THANKS
BILL
1975 M-5 210C
Arlington Wa