Fuel Quantity Gage Inop

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

belandd
100+ Posts

Fuel Quantity Gage Inop

Post by belandd »

The right hand fuel quantity gage on my M 5-210 is inop. It doesn't even move a twitch when the power is turned on.
I checked at the fuel tank sending unit and I am showing 7.40 volts across the two terminals.
I assume that this means the gage is bad.

Does this mean I have to pull the whole cluster and send it out?

Wherer can I send it?
Silly Billy Charters and Tours
Valdez, AK.

Kirk
100+ Posts

Post by Kirk »

To check the sending units you have to check the resistance at different quantities. I got the values from Airparts of Lock Haven when they overhauled mine a few years back. I'll see if I can locate that for you. Seems senders fail more than gauges.

Can't tell you much about guage issues though, I haven't had that come up yet.

Kirk

Kirk
100+ Posts

Post by Kirk »

Can't find those resistance values in my mtx manual, guess I've lost them.

If you find out what it should be for the Stewart Warner guages, please post the info.

Kirk

flyer
100+ Posts

Post by flyer »

Jeremy would be able to answer these questions. He knows everything about Maules.

I would think that if you got different resistant values or voltaqges lwith different quantities, that would seem to mean the sender is operating.

flyer
Flyer

mauleace

Good One

Post by mauleace »

Could you check the good one and compare those values?
"Never feel sorry for a man who owns an airplane" Charles Morse (Anthony Hopkins) The Edge

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Re: Good One

Post by a64pilot »

mauleace wrote:Could you check the good one and compare those values?
That would be too easy, and make too much sense :lol:

C4Maule

Post by C4Maule »

Im new here and have been lurking for a few weeks, but I have dealt with both sending units and the cluster gages on my M-4. Make sure the sending unit is grounded properly, check for continuity between the sending unit and the gage, and finally, make sure there is voltage to the gage. Does your turn coordinator work? I think it shares a breaker with the fuel gages. Hope this helps...
Sean
'73 M4-210 -In the midst of a complete rebuild!

senoiaslim

Post by senoiaslim »

Those gauges scare me anyway. They only need to be accurate when empty, (a little late then)! I put a fuel totalizer in my M-5 and I am glad I did. No guessing on how much fuel I have or don't have. I would spend more money on puting a different guage in or a totalizer in than fix those gauges. Just a thought.
Mark

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

The float on the sending unit wire arm can become so worn that it slips of the arm. Cherokees use the same float.
The windings on the sending unit can be worn through by the constant sliding of the contact slipper.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

C4Maule

Post by C4Maule »

I sent my sending units to to Air-Parts of Lockhaven for refurb and they did a great job. http://www.airpartsoflockhaven.com/

Incidentally, my M-4 originally had a Franklin engine. When it was replaced by a previous owner with a Continental IO-360 in 1987, the CHT and Oil Temp gauges in the Maule cluster were taped over and replace with individual gauges on the panel, and the Oil Pressure gauge had new arcs grossly applied over the old. Air-Parts of Lock Haven refurbed all six gages in the cluster, re-indexed the arcs with the Continental limits, and sent new CHT and OT sending units for the Continental engine. Great service.
Sean
'73 M4-210 -In the midst of a complete rebuild!

RobBurson
100+ Posts

Post by RobBurson »

Buy an EI fuel flow monitor. The FP-5-LxxHyy and FP-5L-LxxHyy are Primary Replacement, FAA STC'd Instruments.
http://www.buy-ei.com/Pages/FP-5/FP-5_Overview.html

I have been to the factory. I will only buy EI for the rest of my flying. They are a class act.

Cheers...Rob

belandd
100+ Posts

Fuel Sending Unit

Post by belandd »

I wish I could buy the new EI fuel flow monitor. Not enough Maule bucks left in my budget right now.

I did get the gage to work. I took a jumper wire and shorted the tank sending unit to grd. Then I turned on the power. Nothering happened. I tried it again and the needle twitched a bit. It tried it again quickly on and off and suddenly the needle jumped to full.

I removed the jumper and the gage works normally.

Must have just been stuck from sitting around so long . Cheap fix.
Valdez, AK.

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

The old hammer trick 8)

belandd
100+ Posts

Hammer Trick

Post by belandd »

The definition of "mechanics" is the scientific application of force.

The right size hammer in the right place.
Valdez, AK.

M5guy

Fuel Guage inop

Post by M5guy »

I also had fuel guage quit in M-5. Sent it to Air Parts of Lockhaven and they did a great job. You can't use the new style guages in the older Maules so I think Lockhave is the only past that rebuilds. They were quite reasonable and fast turnaround.