Flying the North Atlantic with an MX7 180- a beginners story

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
Sam Rutherford
100+ Posts

Flying the North Atlantic with an MX7 180- a beginners story

Post by Sam Rutherford »

Hi Guys (and girls!),

I have got so much good info from this site, I thought I'd let you know what I did with it!

If anyone is interested, the story of my crossing with 'Never Say Never' is at:

www.prepare2go.com
go to the 'aviation' page, and then click on 'blog' at the bottom.

Safe flights all, particularly if you are flying the world's best airplane ;-)

Sam.
MX7 180-B

www.prepare2go.com
TV/Film & Rally-Raid Logistics

AK Mauler

Post by AK Mauler »

Very well done! I alwayas wonder what it would be like to fly very long legs in the MX7-180. My longest is only around 4 hrs. I have always contemplated the inside passage in Alaska from Ketchican to Bellingham WA, but the safer, longer Alaskan Hwy route has always won out with my sensibilities. JUst wondering if you used an auto pilot for your long trip.
Jon Conger
MX7-180AC
N4261E

Sam Rutherford
100+ Posts

Post by Sam Rutherford »

No auto-pilot, but it would have been very useful. It's now on the 'wish-list' - I'll probably be asking here later for advice on which unit suits the Maule the best!

Sam.
MX7 180-B

www.prepare2go.com
TV/Film & Rally-Raid Logistics

Tomkatz
100+ Posts

Post by Tomkatz »

Sam,
This was a great adventure! I really enjoyed it. Good luck in your next adventure as I ponder mine.
Sincerely,
Tom K.

Bones

Libya

Post by Bones »

Sam;
I just read your blog, and it sounds like you had a fantastic crossing. I also am fasinated with your plans to visit Libya. It sounds great. I too have been to Libya. Ghadames numerous times, Ghat several times, Ubari once (I think, didn't land, just looked at the lakes). Sebha many times. At Sebha is the Fort where they filmed the first Gunga Dinn movie. You are probably to young to remember it. I think you will like Sabratha, and Liptis. You might also like at some time to visit the Eastern province. The Greek ruins at Cyrene are fantastic. You can even stay in the hotel that was Mussolini's HQ in WW2. Bengazi is worth a short visit. It sounds like you have some great trips planned. I wish you well. I only wish I could join you with my M7. All the best on your plans.
Roy