M4 Fuel selector Valve.

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

Mog
100+ Posts

M4 Fuel selector Valve.

Post by Mog »

So my airplane appears to have a leaking fuel selector valve. The leak is not bad, just a slight bit of fuel on the shaft. From what I can tell it’s just a simple Weatherhead 3way valve as found at Aircraft Spruce for $29. But of course Spruce says “Not FAA approved”. Does anyone know if this Weatherhead valve is correct or not. It’s worked for this long so I don’t see a need to install some overly complicated new valve.

Duane
100+ Posts

Re: M4 Fuel selector Valve.

Post by Duane »

Weatherhead is one of the valves on our print. However, we do modify them according to what engine you have. The 210 already has an off position in the shut-off valve, so the fuel selector can not have a separate off position.

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

So I don’t mind donating to Maule when I need parts, but the Weatherhead is about $30 from Spruce. And the same part from Maule is $200. I understand that the 210 needs to be modified, but is the 220 valve modified. If not I would rather spend the remaining $170 on other parts from Maule that I can get some enjoyment out of.

Duane
100+ Posts

Post by Duane »

The 220 uses the 10049-5 valve. All are modified, but the 210 has an additional mod to prevent the OFF position.

riverbuggy
100+ Posts

Post by riverbuggy »

What's modified about the 220 fuel selector valve? It appears to be a standard 3 way valve: RIGHT/LEFT/OFF.
I replaced mine with an Andair 3 way valve after I selected "OFF" by mistake when I REALLY didn't want "OFF".
Really got my attention in a hurry. The Andair takes 2 hands to get to "OFF". Very nice!
Ray
1970 M4-220C N2056U

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

Andair seems comparatively priced. Is there a model approved for the 220 and what is involved in fitting.

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

riverbuggy wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:04 pm
What's modified about the 220 fuel selector valve? It appears to be a standard 3 way valve: RIGHT/LEFT/OFF.
I replaced mine with an Andair 3 way valve after I selected "OFF" by mistake when I REALLY didn't want "OFF".
Really got my attention in a hurry. The Andair takes 2 hands to get to "OFF". Very nice!
Hmmm...I’m not sure I’d consider needing two hands to get to “Off” an advantage when I needed “Off” in an emergency.

riverbuggy
100+ Posts

Post by riverbuggy »

It's not truly a 2 handed operation. You can easily perform a one handed operation. Just need to practice a technique that works for you. In an emergency situation I can access OFF just as quick as with the original valve. The most important improvement is you can't access OFF by accident.
Mog: there is no plumbing change. You will have to make a minor modification to the kick panel to access the selector valve handle. I will take a photo next time I'm at the hangar, and post it. I'll look up the model #, and get that to you as well. It is a great improvement over the original valve; almost like a "new" Maule.
Ray
1970 M4-220C N2056U

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

A pic would be great. I will probably be eliminating the kick panel anyways. Just need to mount a new placard somehow.

riverbuggy
100+ Posts

Post by riverbuggy »

The Andair Selector valve that I used is M/N FS20X2-F.

Ray
1970 M4-220C N2056U