Video Camera Recommendations

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
Green Hornet
100+ Posts

Video Camera Recommendations

Post by Green Hornet »

Any inputs as to brand, type, price, etc. in connection with using in the aircraft, through the prop, outside the aircraft? Wish list OK, but would like to hear about video cameras in use and ease of use, download, upload, edit and other functions.
1997-M7-235C, 540 I/O

WOC SPOT

rjb
100+ Posts

Post by rjb »

I have the Oregon Scientific ATC2k which I mount to
a strut. I use free software virtualdubmod and avi2vcd
to play with the files.

The ATC2K is "inexpensive" at $100 and just recently obsoleted
by the ATC3K ($170) which can handle 4GB cards.

I mount it on the strut and I have played with opening the
window and turning it on and off; controls have little feel
so probably best just to turn it on (2 gb gives you 1 1/2
hours of its best quality).

My success rate has been similar to the SPOT, 50%.

-Dick

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

I mounted an Oregon Scientific ATC3K action camera to my strut with two hose clamps and the rubber strip that comes with the camera. The mount that comes with the camera is pretty strong, but I'm not sure how much air pressure it will take before letting go. The hose clamps are much stronger. Here are some photos of the mounting arrangement.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLandin ... leid=en_US

You can't get at the controls from the cockpit so the camera has to be turned on and recording started before you start the engine. With a 4GB SD card and lithium batteries you get 2 hours of video at 640x480 (VGA) resoution. I disabled the sound recording since I'd only hear the engine. You can edit the resulting video file(s) with Windows Movie Maker for free.

The camera and 4GB SD card package is around $149 with free shipping from Oregon Scientific's website.

Andy

Green Hornet
100+ Posts

Post by Green Hornet »

andy wrote:I mounted an Oregon Scientific ATC3K action camera to my strut with two hose clamps and the rubber strip that comes with the camera. The mount that comes with the camera is pretty strong, but I'm not sure how much air pressure it will take before letting go. The hose clamps are much stronger. Here are some photos of the mounting arrangement.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLandin ... leid=en_US

You can't get at the controls from the cockpit so the camera has to be turned on and recording started before you start the engine. With a 4GB SD card and lithium batteries you get 2 hours of video at 640x480 (VGA) resoution. I disabled the sound recording since I'd only hear the engine. You can edit the resulting video file(s) with Windows Movie Maker for free.

The camera and 4GB SD card package is around $149 with free shipping from Oregon Scientific's website.

Andy
I Like the set up and will do the same , Thanks
I got the ACT 5K camera a couple of weeks ago with the remote control. I'm not sure if it will work at that angle and distance but I'm going to give it a try this week.
Bill
1997-M7-235C, 540 I/O

WOC SPOT

redneck

video cameras

Post by redneck »

Green Hornet and others, does the remote control on the dash-5 allow you to turn the unit on/off from the cockpit? And are these units wireless, or wired? I'm doing a fly/camp trip into the UT, NM, AZ, CO area this September and would like to video some of it, but I have no experience whatever with this type equipment. Any further suggestions from any of you who've done this would be appreciated.
Roger
M5-180C

Green Hornet
100+ Posts

Post by Green Hornet »

redneck,
The remote for the -5 is wireless. The distance to the strut is not a problem if the angle of the camera is at the correct position. The angle is critical and there is not more than 15-20 degrees to play with. When mounting on the wing strut the camera needs to be pointed inward just outside the prop blade. You will see the a green light that turns red when activated to take video.
Mount just like andy's post as far to the rear side of the wing possible to maximize the angle. The camera operation is straight forward and the video is good quality. Push one button to turn on and one button on the remote to activate video. Amazon has them with free shipping. The 4 GB memory card is available for about $20.00 at a local store about the same from Amazon with a shipping charge for the card only.
Have fun
Bill
1997-M7-235C, 540 I/O

WOC SPOT

Green Hornet
100+ Posts

Post by Green Hornet »

Green Hornet wrote:redneck,
The remote for the -5 is wireless. The distance to the strut is not a problem if the angle of the camera is at the correct position. The angle is critical and there is not more than 15-20 degrees to play with. When mounting on the wing strut the camera needs to be pointed inward just outside the prop blade. You will see the a green light that turns red when activated to take video.
Mount just like andy's post as far to the rear side of the wing possible to maximize the angle. The camera operation is straight forward and the video is good quality. Push one button to turn on and one button on the remote to activate video. Amazon has them with free shipping. The 4 GB memory card is available for about $20.00 at a local store about the same from Amazon with a shipping charge for the card only.
Have fun
Bill

redneck ,andy & others,
I am chagrin to report that I was some what premature on my report above. After reviewing the video I find that the angle of the camera whereby the aperture is turned in a sufficient manner to be turned on by the remote is inadequate, in that it brings the prop into the frame as well as the nose of the aircraft. I also tried hanging it from the pitot tube holder but the results are the same.
In the final analysis I would say save the money and buy a ACT3k. It is the same as the -5K without the remote. If your goal is to have videos without the prop the solution is as andy hung his -3k. Turn on prior to take off of the area you want to video.
I am certain there are other uses for the remote but hanging from the wing is sadly not one of them. :(
1997-M7-235C, 540 I/O

WOC SPOT

mxt180

Post by mxt180 »

Hornet -

Glad you retracted as I was about to pull the trigger on a -5. Would mounting the -5 to the main gear (spring, not oleo) down by the wheel be a viable mounting option? Possibly better remote control sensory angle, more out of the way of the prop and more exciting t/o and landing footage?

UtahMaule
100+ Posts

Post by UtahMaule »

I have the -5

Here are my videos with cam mounted on the step. If you like rough stuff the gear leg mount might not work too good.

http://www.vimeo.com/3208205

http://www.vimeo.com/3415893

cj8vet

Post by cj8vet »

Great Videos Utah, so the remote works ok for you?
mark
mxt-180
cj8vet
mark richardson
MXT-180
N234PP

UtahMaule
100+ Posts

Post by UtahMaule »

I can't get the angle need to use the remote. I just turn it on, then edit it down later. I may find a way to use the remote though.

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

I put a couple of clips on YouTube of the video that I took with my ATC3K action camera mounted on the strut of my MX-7-180. I had a strange problem with the video undulating from the time that I started climbing until I reduced power in cruise. I think the camera has electronic image stabilization that interacted with the vibration from a high power setting during climb. Once I reduced power it disappeared. I remember it being much bumpier over the mountains than the video shows so the image stabilization seems to work well. The mounting arrangement is in my earlier message on this thread. I think it's aimed properly and the propeller is not in view. I actually got about 4 hours out of the two lithium AA batteries. The 4GB SD card holds 2 hours of video at 640x480 resolution.

This one is a 38 second clip flying over Linville Gorge NC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmyZOwx2JRI

This one is a 73 second clip landing at Marion NC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANLM16ApRe0

Andy

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Remotes usually just use an infrared signal. Add a small, angled mirror to the receiver on the unit? A shinney peice of metal would probably be sufficient.

Green Hornet
100+ Posts

Post by Green Hornet »

crbnunit wrote:Remotes usually just use an infrared signal. Add a small, angled mirror to the receiver on the unit? A shinney peice of metal would probably be sufficient.
It is a wide angle lens so a mirror attached to it that is at an angle to hit the aperture probably would show up in the video. Although it is certainly food for thought!
1997-M7-235C, 540 I/O

WOC SPOT

Green Hornet
100+ Posts

Post by Green Hornet »

This is still a rough cut chiefly because I wanted to analyze the results. The camera mounted to the wing strut by hose clamps definitely holds the camera and removes any doubt about it falling off. However the front of the camera needs to be secured to the strut as well in order to avoid the vibration flutter.

I think either another clamp or a tie down via velcro strap may do it. It is definitely doable. As you can see the view is sans prop or human bounce handling of cinema verite.

I also pulled the trigger on the ACT3K that I will use on the wing strut in the future. I am going to use the -5K in the cabin or at other angles to have 2 camera editing capabilities and put the remote to use as well as the photo snap shot feature. This will produce more action with more variation of creativity.

http://www.vimeo.com/3673469
Last edited by Green Hornet on Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1997-M7-235C, 540 I/O

WOC SPOT