Rigging tuning after achieving factory settings

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

Dazza

Rigging tuning after achieving factory settings

Post by Dazza »

I have recommenced flying my Maule MX7180C1F after a major repair
It has been rigged according to all factory settings and check list of items likely to cause roll. It rolls to the right hands off the control yoke remains centered during the roll
If the yoke is held level and ball centered for level flight the left aileron is down and right up quite noticeably. I know the wings are perfectly straight as I used old fashioned rigging bars on the upper surfaces. I can only achieve neutral washout on the RH wing before excessive tension on the rear strut so made both wings the same. Where to from here? Adjust the LH wing to give less lift?
But aileron position indicates more lift which doesn't make sense
WEGy from Down under

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Where do the ailerons trail if you turn loose of the yoke? Did you reskin either aileron?

Dazza

Post by Dazza »

RH Aileron is new as supplied by Maule
LH aileron was reskinned quite some time ago and flying since the last incident
Ailerons trail level with the bottom of the wing when the Yoke is released
RH wing Outer bottom panel replaced wing tip repaired
Top skin replaced I have photos
WEGy from Down under

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

Hmm..I’d like to help, but I think I’m confused on a few points. So let me run through my understanding of what you’ve said, and you tell me where I have it wrong.

You say that that when you hold the yoke level (and the ball centered) the left aileron is down, right is up. So does that mean that when the ailerons are level the yoke is turned off to one side?

So when you let go of the yoke in flight, the ailerons trail level, the yoke is off to one side, and airplane turns right?

Dazza

Post by Dazza »

Yes your understanding is correct
WEGy from Down under

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

Ok, so one more step in my questions then:

So if you’re flying along, hands off, yoke off center, ailerons level, the airplane is turning right. Then if you grab the yoke and center it (putting the left aileron down, right aileron up) it then flies level? This indeed seems to not make sense, as that action should make it turn HARDER to the right.

Again, is my understanding here all correct?

When you say it was rigged according to the book, do mean every step was completed, and in the proper order? You leveled the airframe (in two axis) ran a string across the top of the wing, and checked dihedral as the first few steps? As Jerome so rightly points out whenever this comes up, rigging must be done step by step, from the beginning, or you’re just chasing your tail.

Dazza

Post by Dazza »

Yes that's correct A darned conundrum
Not the first Plane I have or my A&P have rigged
WEGy from Down under

Dazza

Post by Dazza »

Every step has been followed in detail and then some such as checking for any slack between ailerons, cable tension RH flap has a very slight twist Ailerons lifting the same amount when reflexed.

If you push on either rudder and take you foot off keeping wings level with aileron the AC returns to straight flight

In a turn without rudder input and the yoke left central the ball is off center immediately and then gradually returns to center

Items such as Tailwheel springs etc slightly slack rudder pedals kicked in flight in case TW is off center
WEGy from Down under

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Ok, another question. Hands off in flight with ailerons trailing straight can you fly it straight with rudder? If so, where is the ball when doing this?

Not to add too many things at one time, but have you measured flap angle on both sides?

DeltaRomeo
100+ Posts

Post by DeltaRomeo »

Remove the right side kick panel and you'll see a spring attached to the right rudder cable horn. At the other end of the spring is attached to an Aron cable that goes up to the rudder trim T handle. Make sure that when the T handle is fully forward that there is no tension on the spring.
M5

gdflys
100+ Posts

Post by gdflys »

I have a very similar issue only the opposite direction. I've been fighting it ever since I bought the plane. The wings were off for paint and re-rigged. tI was the same condition before and after. I've played with adjusting the washout away from the correct position to correct it. I've also moved flaps away from the correct positions. I've checked the rudder trim spring system. I've checked the adverse yaw rudder tab system to be neutral when the yokes/ailerons are. My ailerons don't trail to neutral but do trail to slightly left up and right down and the plane doesn't roll off. The best I can come up with is maybe the left droop wingtip drops more than the right side causing the issue. I've basically resigned myself to burning fuel out of the right side first to make fly it as even as possible.
Last edited by gdflys on Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greg Delp
1979 M-5-235C
CT
ATP, CFI, A&P/IA

benflyn
100+ Posts

Post by benflyn »

Check and make sure that the aileron cables are not rubbing on the strut attach bracket.
As I hurtled through space, one thought kept crossing my mind - every part of this rocket was supplied by the lowest bidder .
John Glenn

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Gdflys you may have to put a tab on one of the ailerons to make them fly centered. There is a drawing on the cd for that.

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Do you know if the rudder servo is straight in level flight? It's coupled to the ailerons through cables and pulleys and should be part of the rigging procedure. If it's deflected to either side in level flight, the rudder will deflect to the opposite side and the ball won't be centered. Pulling on the right rudder trim T-handle will apply tension only to the right rudder cable so with no rudder trim, the ball may shift slightly to the left and the airplane will bank left unless you apply right aileron or right rudder trim.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

gdflys
100+ Posts

Post by gdflys »

gbarrier wrote:Gdflys you may have to put a tab on one of the ailerons to make them fly centered. There is a drawing on the cd for that.
The left aileron on the plane when I bought it had a tab previously cause it still had the rivet holes but it was no longer attached. I bought a new aileron after it got dinged during a hail storm during the repaint. I know a tab could be used to drive the ailerons to neutral but then it would roll off to the right with the ball centered. It flies straight with the ball centered with the ailerons displaced maybe a 1/2" to the left.
Greg Delp
1979 M-5-235C
CT
ATP, CFI, A&P/IA