M-4 fuel tank issues

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

Greenleaf

M-4 fuel tank issues

Post by Greenleaf »

We recently bought a 1963 m4. When sumping, a lot of black crud was coming out. Last week I removed the tanks with the expectation of sending them out for welding and cleaning. Turned out the leak was from the sending unit gasket and the tanks are clean. The black crud is in the seam where the two halves of the tank were welded together. I tapped on the seam until no large pieces 1/16â€￾ dropped out. There are still fine pepper like pieces in the seam. Carb cleaner won’t touch it I wonder if it’s some kind of oxidation or flux from welding.

Do you have any thoughts on what might clean it up? Steam clean, chemical or .....? I really don’t want to send out in case of lose or damage. Maule said they don’t have any way to get new tanks as the dies are gone.

The tanks are out of the plane.

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

I assume you have the pillow tanks? My assumption is that you could gain a fair amount of fuel and range by having new tanks fabricated that fit the wing tighter. Might be worth looking into. I had my left tank overhauled in Moultrie and it has been doing great since. Wish I could help with the black stuff, but I have no idea. Maybe some extreme heat cycles could do it.

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

I would LOVE to have bigger tanks...
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

Greenleaf

Post by Greenleaf »

Yes, I have the original tanks. Not sure how I could get larger custom tanks in as the originals were a pain to get out as it was. I don’t want to spend money on new tanks at this time.

G-MAWL

Post by G-MAWL »

A "squarer" design of tank would gain about four gallons a side and fit easier !
It's plan size being 351/2 x 29 approx.
This would add about four gallons a side. I made up the formers for each end the front and back being flat faces. The base would step down at the inboard bottom stiffner.
The sump drain may need to be further aft requiring a new hole in the bottom skin.
Removal of either kind of tank would be easier if nut plates and screws held the front of the wing skin to the spar rather than rivets.
Don't think that would be a structural issue just more economic to rivet when manufactured.

Not sure what would be required paperwork wise.

Derek

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

8 gallons would be huge!!

1:1 Scale
100+ Posts

Post by 1:1 Scale »

Mog wrote:8 gallons would be huge!!
Plus a couple more for the aux tanks? I have the top skins off my wings right now (among other things!), damn you people for putting ideas in my head! :lol:

Kirk
100+ Posts

Post by Kirk »

The 8 gallon gain is for changing all 4 tanks.
It’s about 2 more gallons per tank. Might be a little Less per tank for the aux?

Kirk

G-MAWL

Post by G-MAWL »

I calculated 4 US gallons a side on the mains only. Although I never used anything other than the specs for the 36 gallons stock.
I have pillow tanks.
Derek