BRAKES

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

flyer
100+ Posts

BRAKES

Post by flyer »

I have an M-5 with single puck, cylinder, brakes. They work okay but not great. I have 850s. Do the newer Maules come with dual puck, cylinder, brakes? How much better are they? How much would the conversion cost? Where is the best place to get them?

Has anyone made this conversion and what is your experience?

Thanks

Flyer
Flyer

montana maule
100+ Posts

Post by montana maule »

When I had my M-5 rebiult last year I installed the double puck brakes. They won't work with my Schneider wheel skis, so I convert back to single puck in the winter. I cann't say I notice much differance. I had single puck brakes on a M-4 with 26" Bushwheels and never had a problem.

twheel

dual puck

Post by twheel »

My m5-235 came with the single puck brakes. Yes they work "ok" but I never was completly satisfied with the stopping power. I could hold the plane in a full static run-up and I could stop in time on the short runways, but I always felt like I was maxing them out to get what I wanted out of them. I switched to the cleveland dual puck brakes last winter and they are everything I hoped for. I run 8.50's and 26's and I would never go back to the single puck brakes. So it's kind of like flying a 172 instead of a Maule. They both fly, but why would you want to fly a 172? :lol:

Maule Mod's in Caldwell ID put them on for me for around 1,000. I could find the invoice if you want the exact price I paid. Good luck!

g5280

Post by g5280 »

When I bought my M5 in 92 it came with dual puck brakes & factory tires. At the time I put on the biggest tire I could find I think it was about 850 x 18 or 20 inches and the bakes worked fine with either set of tires and wheels. After talking to Jeremy I found out he had a wheel kit that would allow me to use 10 x 26 or 27 this was grate. The only issue I ever have with brakes and bigger wheels is at run up I scoot across the run up area even with duel puck. I usury land with brakes applied. I can still stop most anywhere and I am not worried about nose over no mater how hard I am pushing on the brakes. My point is I have found the larger the tire the moor brake you may want

PS Jeremy whet do you think about 4 puck brakes on my 1977 M5 235C 3 blade prop with that tire kit you sold me. For the record I really like that tire kit
Gary, Maule 9159E
1977 M5 235 IO 540J
Tundra Tires

twheel

Tires

Post by twheel »

Are those tires STC'd or did you have to get a field approval? I had to get a field approval for my 26's.

I've got plenty of braking power with my dual puck brakes. Could put it on the nose easily. No problems holding it in a full power static runup.

:wink:

flyer
100+ Posts

BRAKES

Post by flyer »

Thanks for your responses. I am trying to find out if dual puck brakes are significantly better than single puck brakes. I am also trying to find out the least expensive way to convert and if it will be worth it.

What do you think Jeremy?

I do not want to get pucked because of the lack of pucks.

Flyer
Flyer

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Double pucks are not for sex appeal. They work significantly better with twice the friction surface and with 3/8" discs, rather than 1/4" as with the single pucks, to properly dissipate the heat without warpage.
The amount of foot pressure required to stop large tyres with single pucks can bend the master cyl. push rod, especially the old style serrated ones.
I have seen a shop fit double puck calipers with single puck discs but this causes warpage and lack of caliper pin travel, and should not be done.
The most economical setup is buy the whole kit, 2 wheels,2 discs, 2 calipers and 2 torque plates for a little over 1000$ then get 2 more 3/8 discs and mount up a set of Tundra tyresw and a set of speed tyres.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

The "Kit" you need is the 199-62 wheel and brake kit that is on Maule Parts list so it is a log book entry and you are good to go. We sell the kit for $1075 shipped.

flyer
100+ Posts

BRAKES

Post by flyer »

Jeremy

Thanks for the reply. Where are the brake kits sold?

Flyer
Flyer

mstomlinson

Post by mstomlinson »

I just completed the conversion of a single puck brake system to the two puck system on my 1997 MX7 180C. I find that the difference is very noticeable and welcome. It takes less pressure on the pedal, as one would expect, but the real difference is the smoothness. They are much more easily controlled, in my opinion. Also, I have not experienced the squeaking and grabbiness when taxiing. The squeaking may return with a little rust, if it has a chance to build up. I have been trying to fly it enough that rust should not be a problem. I purchased the kit from AK Bushwheel. Thanks for your great service, Wup.
MT
MX 7 180C

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

or maybe....

UP-M5
100+ Posts

Post by UP-M5 »

i run single pucks with 8.50's. i also just installed schneider wheel skis, so i am stuck with this. the single pucks barely fit with these skis. they do work ok though.
but i do have a set of double pucks that i will install when i finally buy a set of bushwheels. i'll have to do the old switcheroo like montana maule then.
i also just replaced my rigid brake lines with new flexible lines, as the rigid ones were chafed and looking rather thin. something to look for where they come thru the gear leg fairing.
M5-235

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Not only do the old rigid brakelines wear if contacting the fairing where they exit, but they become brittle with the constant vibration and they can crack and part at the fitting on the caliper. I have one heck of a story relating to that episode. I highly recommend changing to the stainless braided flex line that Maule now uses, before it's too late. Simply drill out the rivets that enclose the oleo gear fairing, replace the brakeline from top to caliper (one piece) and you can use tiny stainless screws and nuts to reclose the fairing Best deal on double puck setup is to buy the complete setup of caliper, 3/8" disc, torqueplate, and extra wheels for large tyres now or later. Also get a set of 1/8th" rotor spacers. The best deal on this stuff is from AK Bushwheel in Oregon. As an added 'gem' get a set of David Maules latest wheelnuts, they are magic, though you may have to chase your axle threads down a bit with a die.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

I just replaced my 8.00-6 Air Hawk tires, Cleveland wheels, brakes and rigid brakelines with 8.50-6 Goodyears and the 199-62 wheel & brake conversion kit from Alaskan Bushwheels including flexible stainless steel brake lines. I highly recommend doing this and using Alaskan Bushwheels for the parts (installation too, if you're close to them). My 1986 MX-7-180 stops more smoothly and with more authority, but doesn't "grab". The rotors are 3/8" instead of 1/4" so they'll last longer. The larger tires put more of a strain on the calipers and rotors, so that's another good reason to use the dual puck brakes. Net weight increase was 17 lbs. and the CG moved forward 0.17 inches. Off-asphalt landings are smoother and easier with the larger tires. On-asphalt landings are a little trickier due to the increased friction, but not a lot.

Andy

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

You won't believe how much longer your pads will last. There is twice as much pad, but I think they last 4 or 5 times longer.