Carbon Concepts Wing Tips

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
M5Chatter

Carbon Concepts Wing Tips

Post by M5Chatter »

I recently purchased a certified 77 M5 210C that I'm going to recover and paint. Looking to take advantage of this time to lighten and make upgrades. I'm definitely considering the floorboards because of the potential 10# or more weight savings. Can anyone comment about the wingtips at 45 oz each? What does a standard M5 tip weigh? How about the carbon glare shield? Thanks.

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

YellowMaule should be able to answer those questions. The answers are probably in his build thread.
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

1:1 Scale
100+ Posts

Post by 1:1 Scale »

I just weighed one of mine on a shipping scale, and it came in right at 3 lbs without any paint or anything, basically just as he shipped them. Don't have a stock tip handy, other than buy low, sell high...

I've got the floors, but don't remember the specific weight saved. It was less than 10 lbs. though, like closer to 5, in my case.

Haven't weighed the glare shields.

M5Chatter

Post by M5Chatter »

1:1 Scale wrote:I just weighed one of mine on a shipping scale, and it came in right at 3 lbs without any paint or anything, basically just as he shipped them. Don't have a stock tip handy, other than buy low, sell high...

I've got the floors, but don't remember the specific weight saved. It was less than 10 lbs. though, like closer to 5, in my case.

Haven't weighed the glare shields.
It doesn't appear the wingtips would be a significant weight savings. I guess if I needed new ones carbon may be the way to go. The glare shield weight will be interesting. I can't imagine a significant difference there. Thanks for the info.

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

Worthwhile effort but not sure how much weight you'll save for dollar spent.

Reminds me of the joke, "How do I amke my Harley faster for cheap?"

"Raise the gas cap, push the Harley away. Put a faster motorcycle where the Harley was. Lower the gas cap."
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

If you remove the Harley and replace with a faster motorcycle, you can eliminate the chase van as well... Double win! LOL!

Fair warning (and I know I have said this before), once you start modifying something, it is hard to stop! At first the mods are small and inexpensive but before you know it, the mods are big and VERY expensive!
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

M5Chatter

Post by M5Chatter »

crbnunit wrote:If you remove the Harley and replace with a faster motorcycle, you can eliminate the chase van as well... Double win! LOL!

Fair warning (and I know I have said this before), once you start modifying something, it is hard to stop! At first the mods are small and inexpensive but before you know it, the mods are big and VERY expensive!

:D I'm trying to hold back! LOL

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Real motorcycle riders strafe the apex with their hair on fire! I have always thought a Harley was just an accessory to justify the assless chaps... LOL! Nomex suit on! :D

Seriously though, nothing wrong with them, they just don't do what I want them to... Which is go fast, stop fast and handle well. I've ridden them, I've worked on them and I have not been impressed by them. I will say they are much different machines now than they were "back in the day" though.