Skybeacon

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

gregorydshanks
100+ Posts

Skybeacon

Post by gregorydshanks »

Installed a new Skybeacon ADSB-Out yesterday. It took 15 minutes to install, 30 minutes to configure and an hour to test fly it so the FAA could certify its configuration.
Everything worked like a charm, although I've heard some folks say they had a problem with bleed-over interference for their electrical system.

I have the documents in hand to get my $500 rebate. That took longer than everything else combined.

TimB
100+ Posts

Post by TimB »

Yes but takes more time to remove the old strobe/Nav and power supply and do the required paper work 337, weight and balance and equipment list update, that's were all the work is.
TimB

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Got that right. Another couple hours.

skidooche

Re: Skybeacon

Post by skidooche »

gregorydshanks wrote:Installed a new Skybeacon ADSB-Out yesterday. It took 15 minutes to install, 30 minutes to configure and an hour to test fly it so the FAA could certify its configuration.
Everything worked like a charm, although I've heard some folks say they had a problem with bleed-over interference for their electrical system.

I have the documents in hand to get my $500 rebate. That took longer than everything else combined.

Great to hear! I'm planning on same or possibly the tailbeacon. Pretty sure all adsb solutions will require a bit of paperwork.
m7-235

DAT

Post by DAT »

We put the skyBeacon in our Maule in April. Our IA did it at the annual. It took him about three hours for the install and the paper work. I have a copy of the 337 and logbook if anyone needs it. The most time consuming part, other than the paper work, was bypassing the strobe pack.

I had already reserved the rebate position. I made the 30 min flight and got an email immediately with all PASSED. I then sent the info for the rebate to the FAA and got several request for more info. I had to provide the original statement showing that we bought the skyBeacon with the serial number of the unit installed. Then I had to provide evidence that it was properly installed. I sent both the 337 and the logbook entry. After they were satisfied that I had bought it and installed it properly and it was working correctly, they approved the payment and said to expect it in 6 to 8 weeks. "Checks in the mail!"

It's worked perfectly since.
Maule M4 220C

Akafrank

Post by Akafrank »

I preordered a tail beacon. Now, after the fact, I am reviewing the dimensions of the uAvionics tail beacon. Removing my Grimes light, I see no way to get the uAvionics to fit in the space even if I remove fabric that is folded over. The 5/8 inch steel tube along the top of the rudder will not allow enough clearance.

I'm wide open for advice on how to solve this problem.

Ralph
akafrank
Last edited by Akafrank on Fri May 17, 2019 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stinger
100+ Posts

Post by Stinger »

Akafrank wrote:I preordered a tail beacon. Now, after the fact, I am reviewing the dimensions of the uAvionics tail beacon. Removing my Grimes light, I see no way to get the vAvionics to fit in the space even if I remove fabric that is folded over. The 3/4 inch steel tube along the top of the rudder will not allow enough clearance.

I'm wide open for advice on how to solve this problem.

Ralph
akafrank
I just assumed the tailbeacon would fit in our current tail light. Are you sure there's no way it'll work?

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

Major bummer if the tail beacon won’t fit. That was going to be my solution as well. Maybe the wing tip light I guess.

Akafrank

Post by Akafrank »

I have not given up yet but contrary to the advertisement, it is not a direct replacement for a Grimes A-2064. I downloaded the PDF and made a wooden model of the back of the Skybeacon and it does not fit (not even close) into the pocket on the rudder.

A fellow A&P suggested an angled spacer made with a 3D printer. This may just work and I will get my son to make some (while his employer isn't looking). I did consider the wing beacon but I believe the antenna sticking down would last about 1 week in my hangar before my head broke it off.

I'll keep everyone posted.

Ralph
M5-220C
akafrank

Stinger
100+ Posts

Post by Stinger »

Mog wrote:Major bummer if the tail beacon won’t fit. That was going to be my solution as well. Maybe the wing tip light I guess.
If you have an M4, you might have a better chance.
In all the other Maules, the tail light is right up at the top of the rudder.
Picture was gigantic when I put it in the post...I'll just leave it as a link to imgur instead.
https://i.imgur.com/qsPzYuH.jpg

taildragger
100+ Posts

Post by taildragger »

Keeps us posted on how it works out. This was going to be my route at the end of this year also. If you do make a spacer/fitment thing a ma bob I would pay you for one also. Thank you.

Scott

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Is it the angle that lets the unit hit the top tube or the thickness in the thin rudder between the fabric? When you start spacing and placing you start messing with the STC/AML. In reality though, a few bulges seems to make very little difference in this airframe.

Christine
Site Admin

Does anyone know where I can find the 6 digit ICAO number of

Post by Christine »

Unfortunately I bought my Skybeacon the day after the rebates ran out....Now I am hoping for an expired rebate to become available and am installing my skybeacon.
Does anyone know where I can find the 6 digit ICAO number of a MX-7-180?
I am filling in the paperwork for my mechanic.
Thanks
Last edited by Christine on Sun May 19, 2019 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Christine
06WN '88 MX7-180 MaulePilots.org Founder
ck "at" maulepilots "dot" org

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

I will happily print spacers if that is a solution for anyone, but I of course would need either a 3D file or someone’s plane to mock up from. I have access to an M5. Maybe I can talk with him and see what works. I need to print a mock up of the tail beacon anyways to see if it fits the M4.

Stinger
100+ Posts

Re: Does anyone know where I can find the 6 digit ICAO numbe

Post by Stinger »

Christine wrote:Unfortunately I bought my Skybeacon the day after the rebates ran out....Now I am hoping for an expired rebate to become avialbel and am installing my skybeacon.
Does anyone know where I can find the 6 digit ICAO number of a MX-7-180?
I am filling in the paperwork for my mechanic.
Thanks
FAA N-Number registry for your airplane. It should be the Mode S code in hexadecimal.