Parts, UK / Mainland Europe

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

Joe-FBS

Parts, UK / Mainland Europe

Post by Joe-FBS »

Good morning,

I bought into a MXT-7-180 in mid-February. I have so far managed about seven hours in it and was hoping to do my first international trip in it in early April.

However, it has just gone unserviceable requiring a "muffler pilot side". I am trying to get a more technical definition but meanwhile, our mechanic is suggesting it must come from the USA (he has already tried having it welded).

Just in case he has missed anything, can anyone suggest please where in the UK, or at least mainland Europe, are good sources of Maule parts?

Thanks

onfinal

Post by onfinal »

Hi Joe,

I assume you are G reg.

When in need of spares I have imported direct from Maule USA. They are an awesome service and everything comes with a form 8130, most important for EASA reg. Contact Kasey or Duane in Maule parts. Ask them to ship Fedex Expedited and it will be with you in 4-5 days.

If you search on this site for 'mufflers' you will be returned some alternative sources for these parts which the USA guys use. Not used them myself so unsure if they are set up for export and EASA requirements.

Order and replace both sides, if one has gone the other might not be far behind. You don't want that to happen somewhere in Europe.

There is a gentleman in Germany, although for cost reasons I have used Maule USA.
M6-235

VA Maule
100+ Posts

Post by VA Maule »

On the reinstall make sure all joints have room to move & slightly slip. If any of the joints are tight and ridged it will cause the cracking.
The best Government, is less Government.

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Lots of things could have caused the muffler problem. The flame trap inside the muffler might have deteriorated or come loose. The clamp that holds the muffler to the tailpipe might have corroded or broken. The aluminum shroud around the muffler might have cracked along the flange. If the flame trap is the problem, a new muffler is the most practical solution. Those things usually corrode to the point where repair isn't possible but Jeremy can advise you better on this.

Cracking along the shroud flange is common due to vibration. Use a couple of large stainless steel worm clamps screwed together around the middle of the shroud (or a larger single hose clamp) but don't tighten it too much. There are several good threads on this forum about it. Safety wire can also be used but I think the hose clamps are better. The shroud will have to be replaced if it's cracked but the hose clamp should prevent further cracking.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

Joe-FBS

Post by Joe-FBS »

Thank you everybody. I have been talking with the famous Kasey and should have the order confirmd on Monday after she has seen a picture of the old part (she did not want to ship something across the Atlantic until certain which version). I am told by our mechanic that the part has been welded too many times to repair again and that we do not need a new shroud.

Kasey did suggest that I try first the European agent in Germany but his telephone number rang-out to unobtainable so I went back to the factory.

I will pass the fitting advice to our mechanic.

Thanks again everyone.

Joe-FBS

Post by Joe-FBS »

Part delivered to our airfield in the UK this morning i.e. four and a half days from me confirming exactly what it was to having it in our hands. Very impressive work by the Maule team.