Adding a Landing Light with Pics

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

MauleEnvy

Adding a Landing Light with Pics

Post by MauleEnvy »

So I wanted to add a landing light to my right wing. Took some pics along the way and thought I would lay it out here for anyone considering doing the same.

First step is to mark the wing. I found using a bare landing light lens laid up against the wing works the best.

Once marked out drill the holes at the corners for a nice radius. I used a 3/16" bit.

Put the assembly in place and mark for the mounting holes. It helps to have 2 people for this as you need to be aggressive to get a good tight fit. I did it by myself and have a little gap at the bottom. I marked, drilled and clecoed the top, then the same for the bottom. This si where a second set of hands really pushing the bottom in tight and flush would have helped. Live and learn...

Debur and install rivnuts. Untape the wire Maule was kind enough to put in the wing for us

Hook up the wire and install into the wing. Just that easy!
Mike
1985 M5-180C

Duane
100+ Posts

Post by Duane »

To get a good tight fit on the bottom, after I have the cleco's on the top, I use a piece of 2" masking tape around the front and you can get some good leverage to tighten the bottom and hold it while you drill the bottom holes. Just make sure the hole in the wing is slightly larger than the glass. You'll need that for expansion anyway.

AndrewK
100+ Posts

Post by AndrewK »

Good post and tips!
Now if only someone had something like this for the up-gross kit. Guess I just volunteered for when I get around to it. :D

DeltaRomeo
100+ Posts

Post by DeltaRomeo »

A ratchet strap and a wing jack would get it pretty tight, too.

Sure would like a pirep on that Ridgid LED lamp...
M5

MauleEnvy

Post by MauleEnvy »

DeltaRomeo wrote:Sure would like a pirep on that Ridgid LED lamp...
I haven’t tried it at night, but it is Way brighter than the Whelen in the other wing! Rigid 62010. I don’t do any night flying, for me it’s all about being seen. After seeing how bright the Rigid is, I wouldn’t run anything else. The left wing is getting one now to replace the Whelen.
Mike
1985 M5-180C

Stinger
100+ Posts

Post by Stinger »

DeltaRomeo wrote:A ratchet strap and a wing jack would get it pretty tight, too.

I've got one in each wing along with the maxpulse. Controllers in the tower have told me they like the flashing lights.
I haven't gone flying at night with them, but I tested them from my hangar at night. Lit up about 100 feet of grass, then the road, then another 50 feet of grass, and onto another hangar. Walked across the road and stood at the other hangar, looking towards my airplane...crazy bright...definitely need to be aware of people and aircraft moving around at night so you don't blind them inadvertently.

ajak
100+ Posts

Post by ajak »

Might do a search for "Rigid" on the forum pages - a few threads out there on them, including a bunch of before and after pictures of how well they light you up. I've been running them myself for a couple of years now, and I think they're still the brightest ones you can get.
AJ
1983 M-6-235
IO-540W1A5D, 81" Hartzell, 4" ext gear, 31" tires, Atlee exhaust, long wings, VGs, LED ldg/nav/strobes, EDM-900, CiES

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

You know, I just saw these on sale from 4Wheel Online for $49.00/ea while Aircraft Spruce has them listed for $219.00/ea. Same part number... These are not TSO or PMa'd parts anyway.

https://4wheelonline.com/rigid-industri ... s.223320.0

If anyone is interested..

Looks like Mario's hanger.
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

MauleEnvy

Post by MauleEnvy »

crbnunit wrote:Looks like Mario's hanger.
Good Eye! It was at Mario's for annual.
Mike
1985 M5-180C

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

The exhaust duct for the paint booth is pretty unique!
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Same price at 4 wheel online ($219). The 020 part (diffused ones) are $49.

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Either the sale ended or it was an error they corrected because both spot and defused are $219 now! Maybe someone called them and they panicked! Ah well... Too good to be true.

51598Rob
100+ Posts

Post by 51598Rob »

Is the light assembly a kit from Maule? What's the probability that a M5 would be pre-wired for another light?
Let Freedom Prevail

Chris in Milwaukee
100+ Posts

Post by Chris in Milwaukee »

It is a kit, including bulb if memory serves. $200-ish for the kit when I called them last summer. Good question about the pre-wire.
Christopher Owens
1993 MX-7-180A
Members: AOPA EAA VAA

MauleEnvy

Post by MauleEnvy »

51598Rob wrote:What's the probability that a M5 would be pre-wired for another light?

The wire is there. On mine it already had a terminal crimped on and was taped up.
Mike
1985 M5-180C