Performance specification

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

flyboypowell

Post by flyboypowell »

Just got a MXT-7-180A for a newly built 1200 ft. grass strip. In the process of trying to get the strip certified by the state of Pennsylvania was asked for the performance figures at 2400 lb. gross weight on a 85 degree day at 1500 feet elevation. (I need take-off and landing distances.) I could not find any information to prove this to the State runway inspector. Called Maule factory and was told it was certified under Part Three not Part Twenty-three and figures at gross weight were not required.
Is there anything out there that would help me out in proving to the state of PA. that the airplane is capable of take-off and landing on a 1200 foot grass strip clear at both ends. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TxAgfisher
100+ Posts

Post by TxAgfisher »

Just go do it and take video! I don’t see how they can require you to prove that particular type is capable.... what if you get a different model? What if a buddy stops by?
TJ Van Matre

DeltaRomeo
100+ Posts

Post by DeltaRomeo »

Our native turf strip is 1100'. Been operating out of it since January 2016. Never used more than 400' in or out, but the heaviest I've been is about 2250. And since we're both sporting 180 hp, it should be a reasonable comparison. There's another Maule guy near Dallas that has an 750' strip with a MXT7-260:

https://youtu.be/1ddET-BI0vw
Last edited by DeltaRomeo on Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
M5

flyboypowell

Post by flyboypowell »

I have video of take off and landing on a 74 degree day used 620 feet with no wind. Will not have 85 degree day till next summer. The state requires performance stats for all private airstrips for certification. After it is certified the liability switches to the pilot who is going to land there (who technically is supposed to call and get permission to land) I saw where someone had some specification links but when I clicked on it, nothing would come up. Don't know if I have too slow internet or if they expired. (Our internet is extremely slow because we live in a remote area)

TxAgfisher
100+ Posts

Post by TxAgfisher »

Or, just don’t put it on a map...
TJ Van Matre

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

The link you found might have been on my old website, but it's not an official performance chart, just my personal experience with my MX-7-180. I wouldn't feel comfortable having you use it for something like you described due to potential liability issues. Also my MX-7-180 is a taildragger while your MXT-7-180A is a nosewheel airplane. Wings are different, too.

There are no official performance charts for Maules as far as I know. My Pilot Operating Handbook says absolutely nothing about takeoff or landing distance. I don't know how a State can demand performance information for an aircraft when the manufacturer does not provide it.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

flyboypowell

Post by flyboypowell »

Thanks andy I will try some other ways . If don't have it certified and I base my plane here my insurance will almost double

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Re: Performance specification

Post by Andy Young »

flyboypowell wrote:Thanks andy I will try some other ways . If don't have it certified and I base my plane here my insurance will almost double
Sounds like it might be worth looking at another insurance provider. Mine covers intentional off-field landings (certainly worse than a “non-certifiedâ€￾ strip) and doesn’t cost any more than normal insurance.

DeltaRomeo
100+ Posts

Post by DeltaRomeo »

I charted our airstrip in the belief it would stave off some types of local developments; I have since found otherwise. But having done so, it was determined that the insurance carrier appreciated it anyway.

Another rationale might be that even though your insurance premiums might be higher without the state's holy water on it, your hangar cost savings should more than offset that. Hangar rent is $4000 - $5000/year; insurance for off airport be an extra $1000? (obviously small town Texas airport estimates; YMMV)

Take the insurance hit, hangar at home while you develop the requested data, get the certification, and then get the insurance rate revised.
M5

VA Maule
100+ Posts

Post by VA Maule »

I'm with Texas on this just don't ask for permission I believe that the FAR's say landings can be made anywhere the pilot deems appropriate,but takeoff requires permission from the landowner, that would be you I don't see a problem.

As far as published performance specs Maule Air has them ( some) listed with each model on the factory website.
The best Government, is less Government.

gregorydshanks
100+ Posts

MXT7-180 on grass

Post by gregorydshanks »

I have '93 MXT7-180C on a charted grass strip (TN20 1000' elevation 2300' long). If there is anything I can do to help, let me know.
Brent Maule has documented that moderately loaded, I can go wheels up in 230 feet.

Victor Gennaro
100+ Posts

Post by Victor Gennaro »

Can you use performance figures from some other type of aircraft like a Cessna 172 with 180hp?

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

Victor Gennaro wrote:Can you use performance figures from some other type of aircraft like a Cessna 172 with 180hp?
I have the same plane as the OP.

As a ROUGH GUIDELINE thats what I do.

I figure the Maule will perform the same as, if not slightly better than the Cessna so there is a bit of safelty built in.
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843