Maule Tow Bar Recommendations?

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

crhannay

Maule Tow Bar Recommendations?

Post by crhannay »

Does anyone have a recommendations for a tow bar for a Maule M7?

Chris in Milwaukee
100+ Posts

Post by Chris in Milwaukee »

It sorta depends on what kind of tailwheel you have. I have one similar to this:

https://www.pilotshop.com/catalog/pspag ... ragger.php

But it only works when I'm on wheels during the warm months. When I have a tail ski on, it doesn't work. I'm considering getting one similar to this one for that reason:

https://www.skygeek.com/4-tdg.html

Of course, this doesn't work with a Maule tailwheel, only the Scott.
Christopher Owens
1993 MX-7-180A
Members: AOPA EAA VAA

MauleEnvy

Post by MauleEnvy »

Chris in Milwaukee wrote:It sorta depends on what kind of tailwheel you have. I have one similar to this:

https://www.pilotshop.com/catalog/pspag ... ragger.php

But it only works when I'm on wheels during the warm months. When I have a tail ski on, it doesn't work. I'm considering getting one similar to this one for that reason:

https://www.skygeek.com/4-tdg.html

Of course, this doesn't work with a Maule tailwheel, only the Scott.
Second one, The Bogi Bar works great! Let me know if you need one, I went to a BBW in the back and had to get another one to fit it, still have one that’s like new to fit a regular Scott TW.
Mike
1985 M5-180C

Stinger
100+ Posts

Post by Stinger »

Taildragger Dragger. Works great.

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

I have a used TDD and also carry the Bogi bar for either tw

JerseyJim

Post by JerseyJim »

Wup sent you a message on Facebook
1984 M5 180-C

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

I have a Bogie bar and a Maule tow bar. The Bogie bar clamps around the tailwheel axle so it can only be used with the Scott tailwheels. The Maule tow bar ends in a thick flat piece of metal with a slot in it that slips over the leaf spring in front of the tailwheel housing. Since the Maule tow bar doesn't actually turn the tailwheel, it's harder to use. I used to have a Taildragger Dragger and it worked well with either the Maule or Scott tailwheels but you can't carry it around in the airplane like you can the Bogie bar. I also have a gas powered taildragger dragger which works well but you have to wiggle it around the tailwheel and then lift it up to move the tab into the pivoting caster wheel housing. It can be hard to use for that reason and the tailwheel can hop out of the paddles on an incline. There are several threads on the forum talking about alternatives. Try searching them.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

MX7-180A

tow bar

Post by MX7-180A »

Are there any lugs currently available for when you have to pull the plane forward that bolt to the axle flange?

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

Like the old beech 18 or dc3 bars. I have looked for one but no luck. I am thinking about build one if I can get some time. I have an aero tow unit but it needs a new control board installed . When it works it is fine on flat surfaces but struggles with any slope or rough terrain and grass. I did order a new controller and in the process of rebuilding the unit. I like to be able to hook up to a lawn tractor and move the Maule some times and I have a tow bar that Gary Barrier made that works but I need more room than I have in the hanger to hook it up. As I remember those 18’s and dc3 had a ring on the gear to hook to we will need something to grab a gear leg and not bang it up or put too much stress on it. Any way food for thought.
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Are you referring to an eye bolt that replaces the bolt that connects the ABI 3200 or 3224A tailwheel to the leaf spring?

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/ ... owneye.php

I vaguely remember hearing about some problems with it breaking and not being offered for sale anymore by ABI. Aircraft Spruce is still selling it, though.

The Cessna 185Fs that we have at work all have them on the 3400 tailwheel and they seem pretty strong.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

MX7-180A

towing by main wheels

Post by MX7-180A »

Anyone have towing lugs for the main wheels. Would like to post pics here but still new and don't know how

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/ ... owneye.php

Says "For non-structural use". I assume that means no landing gear applications. I had on that ABW used to sell. Stripped the nut (torqued to spec) that was included, allowing everything to come lose and then bent the bolt. Had to cut it off with a die grinder to get it out of the hole. I notice ABW doesn't sell them anymore... Sure was convenient though!
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

MX7-180A

tow lugs

Post by MX7-180A »

Posted pictures of tow lugs for the maule axles on facebook.
Useful for towing the craft forward if you are by yourself.
Especially useful on ski's.
STC pending

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

It is not on the tail wheel for those 18s and dc3. This was a ring on the mains the tow bars spread between the main gear and formed an A between them if you where lucky they had wheels on them also so you could tow them with a tug. We used them at an FBO I worked at in Atlanta and they where bringing in auto parts for the plant.
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Ah, the days of the freight running. Talk about a bunch of cowboys we were.