Pain in the wallet

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

Outback

Pain in the wallet

Post by Outback »

I knew when I purchased N56294 that some things weren't up to my standards. It has been nearly a year, but life seriously interfered with with flying interests last winter/spring. In June I began knocking the barnacles off my flying skills with an instructor in his C170. We finally climbed into the Maule, and the fuel pump quit on run-up. 3psi when normal is 15-30 psi. I called in a well-respected AI, and he had issues with the mag, wires, and tie straps on the engine mount. I sent the mag off, and ordered a new fuel pump. He thought that we should cut the oil filter just to make sure. Bad news. I knew when I bought it that TO 360s are way expensive to work on, but at 7600 feet it just seemed like the right engine. While I was trying to get my brain wrapped around the 40k overhaul cost, the AI convinced me to dust off my old A&P license and DIY. He said that nowdays you send all the parts away for overhaul and just assemble and take care of the small parts. I just got back from a trip to Tulsa and El Reno to drop parts at three different shops. I probably have 25 lbs of engine parts left in my shop. We'll see how this comes out.

Chris in Milwaukee
100+ Posts

Post by Chris in Milwaukee »

Ouch, that’s doesnt sound like much fun at all. I had a few expensive fixes to do this year that I hadn’t planned for, too. Several cracked and broken things that I had to send off for welding or rebuild. I asked myself if it was worth the hassle of paying for certificated airplanes and their respective parts. When it all came back together, it ran better than ever and my faith was renewed. I wish the same for you!
Christopher Owens
1993 MX-7-180A
Members: AOPA EAA VAA

montana maule
100+ Posts

Post by montana maule »

Unfortunately I've seen this happen to new airplane owners (myself included) over and over again. You think you get a good deal on a low hour airplane. After you get it home you find out low usage and deferred maintenance end up costing you a lot of money. It takes the joy out of aircraft ownership.

I helped pick up an airplane with "fresh annual" and a log book statement of "Cleaned and gaped plugs". After less than 10 hours of flight it was in the shop here and the mechanic happened to check the plugs. All of the plugs were worn beyond the minimum dimensional limits and had to be scrapped. Then things went down hill from there.

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

I hate to say it but when people decide to sell something their level of care drops most of the time. So I have found there will always be money curve to get things up to snuff. On my M5 it has been a carb,mags ,gear and transponder. It’s hard to plan on it but it always part of the “dealâ€￾. I have people ask me what it costs to own a plane and my answer is it depends. Like my avatar says “If God wanted man to fly he would have give him more moneyâ€￾. 🤓
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money

DeltaRomeo
100+ Posts

Post by DeltaRomeo »

Are you Having the Turbo rebuilt at this time also?

Sure hate to hear the bad news as the turbo charged 360 is the perfect Maule for your environment.

We just got back from the Zuni's; been getting some good rain (read: mud). We got slightly less than 8 to 8.25 GPH during the trip and is why I like the O-360 so much.
M5

pilot
100+ Posts

Post by pilot »

captnkirk wrote:I hate to say it but when people decide to sell something their level of care drops most of the time. So I have found there will always be money curve to get things up to snuff. On my M5 it has been a carb,mags ,gear and transponder. It’s hard to plan on it but it always part of the “dealâ€￾. I have people ask me what it costs to own a plane and my answer is it depends. Like my avatar says “If God wanted man to fly he would have give him more moneyâ€￾. 🤓
Kirk, it is a real shame that your gear were worn down 4" too short :lol: You missed a few things though, because your tires are also worn down way under 31" 8) 8)
I can't remember if I fired six shots, or only five.....

M-5 220c, circa 1974
EAA #428061

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

Yep every time Andy stops by I get a case of tire envy. ðŸ˜￾
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Back in the day in the charter business as we added an occasional airplane we shopped for one with near runout engine. Then we overhauled or exchanged the engine. That's how you tell what you have.

Not always easy when you are shopping for a Maule. I bought in about four years ago buying an airplane with 50 hours SMOH but that 50 hours was over about four years and that's never good. I flew it for around 400 hours before it finally got me. A sticky valve bent a pushrod, took out a lifter and shattered the cam follower. Now I get to spend the dollars I knew at purchase that I may have to. If there is any good news I bought in knowing and at a price that I could.

Bottom line, don't spend your last dollar on an airplane. Don't do it unless you can get your hands on enough cash to do an engine or fix other problems if you need to. After you've been through an engine and numerous inspections you will know what you have.

Outback

Post by Outback »

I knew that I would be up for an overhaul, but hoped to get a couple of years use before that happened. So much for hoping. The prop had a new hub and overhauled blades, Carb recently overhauled. Vacuum pump overhauled. I am heading for FWF. Turbo and pressure valve. Mag & wires. Fuel Pump. Lifters. Cylinders .010 over. Valves & guides. All cases are at Divco now. Various other small things. I was hoping to get through this for 20k, but I have now changed that number to 30k.

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

For $30K you are getting pretty close to a factory 0-time engine. Comes ready to run with new mags, new alternator and a lightweight starter
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

Outback

Post by Outback »

As I said about the TO-360, horrendously expensive to work on. Western Airmotive wanted 40k, if my cylinders were good. Airmark was better, 40k with new cylinders. I am also doing things like Turbo, Prop gov. Lycoming wants $3900 for a cylinder. No one else makes them. Gasket & seal kit is $900. These engines are not closely related to the rest of the O-360 line. They were made out of 2/3 of the TIO-540 used on Piper Navajos and some others. Bearings, rods, valve stuff is different from the rest of the O-360 line. Exhaust port on the top, updraft cooling. I knew what I was getting into when I bought it, I'm just moaning about it happening so soon.

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Many variations of a Lycoming engine. I see chatter from time to time about converting a 235 to a 260. That I have looked into. Over half of the parts are different. Cylinders, pistons, case, crank, and it goes on and on not to mention you will need a different governor. My rebuilder was willing to build me a V4A5 and take my W1A5 core in trade. Cost for overhauled engine was thousands more than the W1A5D but I considered it. Then I looked at the airframe requirements and bailed. It is a different mount, has five instead of four attachment points. The oil cooler is different. You need a NACA scoop for the cowl. And then you must remove the windshield and boot cowl so you can weld the attachment point. I still considered it but by the time I got things in order it would be cold weather here and I don't care about doing all that in my open hangar.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Outback, I think thats the same engine in the Rockwell 112TC and in the Enstrom helicopters.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide