Aileron / Flap hinge reinforcement

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
johnmo61

Aileron / Flap hinge reinforcement

Post by johnmo61 »

Hi All,

Has anyone done a reinforcement to the aileron and/or flap spars where the hinges attach? I have a M4.
If so, can you send me a copy of your 337?

send to ja.morelli@comcast.net

Thanks

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

If I’m reading this right you are probabaly seeing deflection in your flaps at the hing base plate. Maule upgrades this are and the repair is fairly simple. Maule has drawings showing the parts needed and how to install.

johnmo61

flap / aileron

Post by johnmo61 »

Ahh, I see there is a difference in flap dwg 3065X Rev. D and 3190X Rev. A.
The 3190x dwg has 3 reinforcement plates for the FLAP inbd hinge only.

My flap did not have those reinforcements. I will add them.

As for the Outbd flap hinge and the both Aileron hinges spar attachment, has anyone reinforced them? While I have the flap and aileron dismantled I wanted to see if this may be necessary or prudent..

Thanks again for all the help on this site.. :D

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Are you talking about deflection/cracking at the inboard hinge where the push rod attaches? I had one crack there. Anyone repaired one of these? The Flap is fine except for this crack.
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

Guy down the runway from me just repaired his that cracked completely. Was done in 2-3 days of casual working on it.

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

I'd like to repair mine. It would make a great spare!
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

TimB
100+ Posts

M4 flaps

Post by TimB »

The M4 flaps will crack at the spar at the inboard attachment. Use the M5 hinge when replacing the spar due to cracks. The M4 bracket is an "L" shaped bracket and the M5 bracket is an "C" shaped bracket and will not twist and crack the spar.
TimB

TimB
100+ Posts

M4 flaps

Post by TimB »

The M4 flaps will crack at the spar at the inboard attachment. Use the M5 hinge when replacing the spar due to cracks. The M4 bracket is an "L" shaped bracket and the M5 bracket is an "C" shaped bracket and will not twist and crack the spar.
TimB

johnmo61

flaps/aileron mods

Post by johnmo61 »

So, basically the only issues are at the inbd hinge of the flap. That"s a great idea about adding the M5 inbd flap fitting. Hopefully, the fitting does not come pre drilled. I assume as of now this can be done by just using the drawing or will this require a 337.