2018 Annual

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

Stinger
100+ Posts

2018 Annual

Post by Stinger »

My annual went extremely smooth last year in 2017 (first one with the MX7-180A). Only things we did were put on the 8.50 tires, and install the stronger landing gear bolt kit.

However, this year is not looking as easy.
On the agenda:
MaxPulse landing light controller installation,
Fix intermittent analog engine temp gauge,
Complete 337 for the ABI3224 tailwheel that was never completed 2 years ago,
And the unexpected and worst item so far is I've got a cylinder that has low compression. The IA called me today and said 3 cylinders are 78/80, but there's 1 that is at 55/80. They were going to borescope it and tell me more. Hopefully it's something easy....and cheap.

pilot
100+ Posts

Post by pilot »

Best of luck on the cylinder!! Aero-leds has landing lights with built in wig-wag, not sure if you are aware or interested in this.....
I can't remember if I fired six shots, or only five.....

M-5 220c, circa 1974
EAA #428061

Stinger
100+ Posts

Post by Stinger »

pilot wrote:Best of luck on the cylinder!! Aero-leds has landing lights with built in wig-wag, not sure if you are aware or interested in this.....
I thought about the Aero-LED but went with the Rigid Hybrid R-Plus.

DeltaRomeo
100+ Posts

Post by DeltaRomeo »

"Rigid Hybrid R-Plus"

Can't argue with 3400 Lumen output :D

Looking forward to a pirep on it when complete
M5

Chris in Milwaukee
100+ Posts

Post by Chris in Milwaukee »

MaxPulse is on my short list. Need to order the light kit for the other side, though. I’ll do those together. I’ve heard about those Rigid lights. I’ll have to look them up.

My 2019 annual extra might be ABI sealed struts since it’s time for punch test anyway.
Christopher Owens
1993 MX-7-180A
Members: AOPA EAA VAA

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

MaxPulse is a super easy installation. If I remember correctly it is a plug and play using existing wiring. Love mine and have been told I am now VERY visible from the front!
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

Stinger
100+ Posts

Post by Stinger »

crbnunit wrote:MaxPulse is a super easy installation. If I remember correctly it is a plug and play using existing wiring. Love mine and have been told I am now VERY visible from the front!
I was looking at the installation instructions and it says to break the circuit going to the existing landing light switch, mark that inop, and then wire in the MaxPulse along with a 25amp breaker. We're going to put the MaxPulse on the right side near the cigarette lighter 12V outlet just because there's lots of room there.

Didn't hear anything today from the shop about the cylinder with low compression. I'm cautiously taking that as a good sign, since if it was bad news I would think I'd have received a phone call asking what I wanted to do.

bobguhr
100+ Posts

Post by bobguhr »

For the record I'm very happy happy happy with my Rigid lights

flyfish1

Post by flyfish1 »

I just installed the max pulse into my M4. I had to install a light in the right wing per the Maule drawing first. Now I have LED lights in each wing. I flew to Oshkosh on Saturday and it must have worked well because the Oshkosh controllers called me wig wag instead of tundra tires this year. It surprised me on departure when they actually used my N number. I'm definitely happy with the increased visual signature that the LEDs and wig wag operation put out.
flyfish1

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Stinger wrote:I was looking at the installation instructions and it says to break the circuit going to the existing landing light switch, mark that inop, and then wire in the MaxPulse along with a 25amp breaker. We're going to put the MaxPulse on the right side near the cigarette lighter 12V outlet just because there's lots of room there.
Odd. Mine is wired through the switch. Works just fine and I don't have to change the settings on the MaxPulse. I assume those instructions apply to those who might turn off both switches. I'll have to go back and read my copy!
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

Stinger
100+ Posts

Post by Stinger »

crbnunit wrote:
Stinger wrote:I was looking at the installation instructions and it says to break the circuit going to the existing landing light switch, mark that inop, and then wire in the MaxPulse along with a 25amp breaker. We're going to put the MaxPulse on the right side near the cigarette lighter 12V outlet just because there's lots of room there.
Odd. Mine is wired through the switch. Works just fine and I don't have to change the settings on the MaxPulse. I assume those instructions apply to those who might turn off both switches. I'll have to go back and read my copy!
Here's the instructions. Bottom of page 2 under Installation Completion is where it's mentioned. I hope mine gets installed like yours where it's connected to the current landing light switch, but we'll see.
http://www.seatoneng.com/docs/MaxPulse/ ... ctions.pdf

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Here's the MaxPulse Installation Manual:
http://www.seatoneng.com/docs/MaxPulse/ ... 0-001G.pdf
The circuit diagram on page 3 shows the disconnection of the landing light switch so that it doesn't bypass the MaxPulse controller. They don't specify it, but I would install a pull-type 25A breaker or switch/breaker so that you can disable the MaxPulse without turning off the master switch if the MaxPulse malfunctions. We had a MaxPulse controller short out in one of the Cessna A185F airplanes at work and it turned the landing light on steady when the MaxPulse was turned on. It was wired so that the landing light switch fed power to the MaxPulse in parallel with the landing lights. If you turned the MaxPulse off, you could flip the landing light switch on and it would work. Some light controllers wouldn't like that arrangement so you'd best check with the manufacturer before wiring it that way.

Stinger, I had similar problems with my Lycoming cylinders before I had them replaced with Superior Millenium cylinders during a major overhaul in 2004. In each case it was a valve problem and I had to decide if I wanted to wait a month while the cylinder was sent out to be repaired or buy a new cylinder ($1,200 at the time) so there was no lengthy downtime. I ended up buying a couple of new Lycoming cylinders before the overhaul. Haven't had any cylinder problems since I put the Superior Millenium cylinders on. They run cooler, too.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

ajak
100+ Posts

Post by ajak »

I also installed the Rigid LED lights a couple of years ago. They are hooked into a Precise Flight pulse light controller. I still get lots of comments on how bright they are.
AJ
1983 M-6-235
IO-540W1A5D, 81" Hartzell, 4" ext gear, 31" tires, Atlee exhaust, long wings, VGs, LED ldg/nav/strobes, EDM-900, CiES

snaproll

Post by snaproll »

crbnunit wrote:Odd. Mine is wired through the switch. Works just fine and I don't have to change the settings on the MaxPulse. I assume those instructions apply to those who might turn off both switches. I'll have to go back and read my copy!
Mine is wired this way also. Works great.

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Mine does not bypass the MaxPulse, it is wired in series. I never/rarely change the MasPulse settings so all I have to do is push the main switch and off we go. I don't use the Max Pulse for on/off, just blink and both. I don't fly much at night so both/not flashing is pretty rare.