220 Franklin Parts

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
912c

220 Franklin Parts

Post by 912c »

Anyone have a lead on Franklin 220 pistons or other parts?

swanstedt

Post by swanstedt »

Try Susan at http://www.franklinengineco.com/

They try to keep everything in stock to keep our birds flying. They even have parts manufactured when supplies are low.

51E

220 Franklin question

Post by 51E »

Aside from the question of parts, are there any particular disadvantages of an aeroplane powered by the 220 Franklin?

Joseph

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

Can't use Mogas, but neither can the IO-540.

xwildcat
100+ Posts

Post by xwildcat »

Sucks at altitude. My M4-220C is a beast below 5000' and does remarkable things at 3500' or less. Above 8000' it's terrible. After 12,000'... forget it.

51E

Post by 51E »

Thanks for your note. This performance profile would be a disappointment for someone interested in backcountry flying.

xwildcat
100+ Posts

Post by xwildcat »

Well, I don't confuse back country flying with cross country flying. I do A LOT of backcountry and off-airport stuff. However, when I go home to Colorado and have to clear 12,000' passes I cringe.

So to clarify... it is a GREAT backcountry tool. It is a poor cross country tool when higher altitudes are required.

Also... I blame the engine, but it might be a combination of factors including wing and prop.

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

I might be wrong, but I don't think the Franklin loses power any faster than other normally asperated engines from altitude. This is not from experience, but I have been led to understand the long wing Maules do better at altitude or on floats than the short winged ones, but it is my understanding that a M-4/220 will blow the doors off of my M-6/235 down low.
I've not flown one so I cannot say for sure.
Jeremy?

51E

Post by 51E »

The backcountry flying I do usually involves mountains (going into Big Creek, ID next week...5700' or so elevation), so power at altitude matters to me.

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

The short winged Maules will not do as well at altitude as the long winged ones regardless of engine, unless I'm wrong of course. The exception to that would be the turbo, I believe. But as I have no experience, I'm hoping Jeremy or someone else will jump in and confirm or deny.

vaughans

Post by vaughans »

What are we comparing to? I have had my M-4 220 into Johnson Creek loaded with my son (both big guys) & I all our camping gear & food & drink & fuel and was quite suprised at its performance off a field at 5000' altitude. it doesn't lose power any worse than any normally aspirated engine that I have ever flown behind & I find it to be an exceptional engine so much in fact that I rebuilt another m-4 with the same powerplant! :wink:

xwildcat
100+ Posts

Post by xwildcat »

True. I've had mine in the same or worse situations and would post identical to yours. I love it at 5000' or less. Take it to 10,000 feet or more, however, and the M4-220 sheds performance quicker than anything I've ever flown.

BTW, I live in the land of 14,000 foot peaks so I don't consider 5,000' to be high altitude. In fact, that is 2,800 feet BELOW my field elevation. So in my previous posts I'm talking about Altitude with a capital "A".

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

One other thing you must remember is the M4-5 have the shortest wing maule made so at Altitude no matter the power plant performance will be hindered....

Just a thought anyways...

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

Hey guys don't mind my blabering ...\

I think I need to read the posts from the top down inste of the other way around :oops:

a64pilot Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:54 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The short winged Maules will not do as well at altitude as the long winged ones regardless of engine, unless I'm wrong of course. The exception to that would be the turbo, I believe. But as I have no experience, I'm hoping Jeremy or someone else will jump in and confirm or deny.

vaughans

performance at high altitude

Post by vaughans »

Xwildcat, The next question that I would ask then is why are you flying a shortwing MAULE if you believe it suffers in performance to other comparable aircraft in your high altitude enviorment? the basic wing profile is even comparable to the MX-7 except that hey have more flap, less aileron & the negative flap setting for spoiling lift. I agree that the longer wing would be better at high altitude but them you give up performance in speed. One needs to define the enviorment that they spend the majority of their time in and equip for that enviorment. I flew along with a Maule MX-7 235 lycoming into Johnson creek Idaho and the only performance advantage that I believe he had over me was speed in cruise due to the negative flap setting he had available. By the way he comsumed several gallons an hour more fuel. I bet you are not ready to trade your maule for a cessna or four place piper.

vaughans