MX7-180C project

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

armascher

MX7-180C project

Post by armascher »

A project I couldn't walk away from. 1998 MX7-180C, ground loop to nose over. Purchased on salvage and then sold to me (because I couldn't walk away). Prop strike, motor mount crushed, firewall toast, wings top skin(both), left wing struts, left gear leg and vertical fin damage. Fuselage looks to be in great shape, a scratch on the fabric on top. Small bow in the V-brace portion of the frame directly behind the firewall. I have the wings at a friends shop waiting for the word go to repair. Estimates coming in for a teardown inspection (1000 tt A &E). I live in Idaho and luckily have access to some great mechanics. I'm trying to read up here as I'm new to Maules (200ish tailwheel time between 170 and a kitfox). My plan of attack:

1 -get the engine to the shop and torn down (find out if the crank is good)
2- find a used prop
3- get the fuselage stripped to the front door posts, take it to the fuselage guy for inspection and vertical fin repair
4- wings rebuilt or replaced with used (21k each from factory YIKES)
5- find left gear leg (aluminum spring type)
6- get rid of the 29" Air Hawks and find some tundra tires
100- put it all back together

I'm looking for input on....engine shops, prop types, wing mods or available used wings, gear legs, folks I should call (besides the obvious great people at the Maule Factory) anything else I should be thinking about.
Thanks!

bobguhr
100+ Posts

Post by bobguhr »

You can't go wrong by reaching out to Wup Winn in Joseph,Oregon.
http://www.backcountryconnection.com/about/

armascher

Post by armascher »

There is a chance I could get a hold of some airworthy M-4 wings (30'10") for a good price and utilize the money I save to purchase an O-540. Any thoughts on putting the shorter wing on the MX-7? I believe Maule has Mod kit(drawings) available.

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

There is a set of M-5 wings up here with long range tanks. $10K though.
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

pilot
100+ Posts

Post by pilot »

crbnunit wrote:There is a set of M-5 wings up here with long range tanks. $10K though.
For 10K, there is a set of those same wings in Louisiana!
I can't remember if I fired six shots, or only five.....

M-5 220c, circa 1974
EAA #428061

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Armacher, the shorter (30'10") wing on the MX-7 matters most on a floatplane or amphib when you need the extra lift of a larger wing to overcome the suction and extra weight of the floats. Otherwise, there's not much difference in performance.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

montana maule
100+ Posts

Post by montana maule »

For what it is worth--
I have instructed in an M5-180 - (short wing, constant speed prop)
And my MX7-160 - (universal wing, fixed pitch climb prop)
The 160hp will break ground quicker, climb faster, and land shorter.
If I had the choice I would always go with a universal or longer wing.
MX7 fuselage + M7a wing + 235hp = M6 ( best Maule around)

armascher

Post by armascher »

Ok. Thanks for the replies. I will have the universal wings I have now rebuilt. The motor (C1F) is going to Lycon for inspection. If the crank is good and there's no major damage, I plan on doing the top overhaul with port/polish/balance. Hopefully I can gain a little there. If the motor is toast, I plan on looking for a mid-time 0-540. Right now the motor mount, cowl and prop need to be replaced which leads to the engine upgrade....

MauleEnvy

Post by MauleEnvy »

Definitely get the porting from Lycon if you stay with the C1F. The M5-180 I recently bought had an overhaul done there and the dyno sheet with the engine shows 201.2 HP at 2695 RPM.

I don't have any other Maule experience, but it feels stronger than my old 172 180hp with a Powerflow exhaust and MT Prop.
Mike
1985 M5-180C

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

armascher wrote:Ok. Thanks for the replies. I will have the universal wings I have now rebuilt. The motor (C1F) is going to Lycon for inspection. If the crank is good and there's no major damage, I plan on doing the top overhaul with port/polish/balance. Hopefully I can gain a little there. If the motor is toast, I plan on looking for a mid-time 0-540. Right now the motor mount, cowl and prop need to be replaced which leads to the engine upgrade....
If you end up needing an IO-540 mount for some reason, I'll have one available in a few weeks.

armascher

Post by armascher »

I'm looking for a serviceable left main, spring gear leg if anyone knows of one sitting around...

armascher

Post by armascher »

Update:
Crank passed inspection and the o-360 is currently being overhauled by Lycon, no upgrade to the O-540, best I can do is a port and polish/balance with the great engineers at Lycon (sure would be nice to have options for PowerFlow)
Wings are being repaired locally, sticking with the universal wing.

Need some advice on:
Prop and exhaust...
Is Hartzell the only option? Should I convert to F/P? Where's the best place to have the exhaust rebuilt and what should I specify exactly to have done in order to reduce cracks? Finally, There's gotta be a straight left spring gear leg out there somewhere......

DeltaRomeo
100+ Posts

Post by DeltaRomeo »

MT sells a prop for the O-360 Maules. Its a really good upgrade from the Hartzell.
M5

pilot
100+ Posts

Post by pilot »

pilot wrote:
crbnunit wrote:There is a set of M-5 wings up here with long range tanks. $10K though.
For 10K, there is a set of those same wings in Louisiana!

Update - there is no longer a set of M5 wings here, thanks to a forum member seeing this and asking me about them. He was a tough negotiator though, did not get 10k for them :)
I can't remember if I fired six shots, or only five.....

M-5 220c, circa 1974
EAA #428061

armascher

Post by armascher »

project is coming along. The crank was good in the o-360 so I'm looking for a prop. There was one avialable from a member who contacted me...not sure if it still is. Is it worth going down the road of a longer F/P on field approval? sounds like equal performance with less cost..any thoughts out there..