Interested in Maules

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
rlcdds

Interested in Maules

Post by rlcdds »

Just joined- first time post. New pilot age 55-fullfilling a lifelong dream to fly. My son is also taking lessons. I will begin IFR training in Jan 07. Both of us are training in a Cessna 172. Both my kids are graduating college next May, so I hope to get a plane next summer. I always thought I'd end up in a 182, but I like to research things and I have discovered Maules!! Thanks to the internet I have found you guys(and gals??) and I need help with questions. Maule owners seem like an iconoclastic group which fits me as well. My son and I love to hunt and will use a plane for trips all over the midwest pursuing upland birds. I have birddogs which have logged alot of miles in a friends 182. Therefore, the wide door on the Maule is a plus. We will also be elk hunting with all the gear that entails. A payload of 120 lbs won't cut it!!
THUS: which trigear Maule is best fit for me?? I want as big a payload as possible. The 180 HP has a bigger payload, but cruise speed is less. In my reading it seems Maules can carry more payload than published. If so, then the 235 HP is attractive due to cruise speed. Any thoughts on exceeding published useable loads?? Any help is greatly appreciated. Due to the cost difference in Maules vs. Cessnas, I hope the Maule can meet my needs. I'd rather spend the money saved on hunting trips and meeting Maule pilots at your "Fly-ins". Thanks in advance for your help!!
rlc Feel free to email me: rlcdds@hotmail.com

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Welcome, the MT7 235, 155mph tas, and 260 164mph tas, both 2500lbs will give you 750 to 800lb useful depending on equipment. ie a three blade can take 16lb and an autopilot another 12+lbs, it all adds up. The MXT7 180A 135mph tas 2400lb, and 180 constant speed 140mph tas 2500lb, will have 920 to 950lbs.
The MT's have a 5.5" longer and 3" higher cabin in the back. On floats these MT fuselages become 2750lb gross rather than 2500 as on wheels. The past has proven the aircraft is very safe at 2750lbs though the gear of course is removed. Fuel systems can be 41, 71, or 83gals usable, so the fuel you choose to carry at takoff, cruise and landing will depict your load. They are a very rugged wing and fuselage.
On ferry trips under special waiver accross to Hawaii and west I have known of loads at takeoff and cruise of 1835lbs, with experienced pilot.
Jeremy
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

rlcdds

Post by rlcdds »

Thanks Jeremy-- I appreciate the input. rlc

flyseneca

Post by flyseneca »

If you want useful load suggest you check out the oleo taildragger models. The tri gear 235s are great airplanes, but a combination of the spring steel gear and nosewheel make them a 2 to 3 person aircraft with a good fuel load. The taildragger oleo combination gives you the extra power you want with a reasonable payload.

The payload issue is one of the reasons the Civil Air Patrol is selling all but three of its fleet of 15 MT-7-235 aircraft. They cannot fly a 4 hour mission with a crew of 3 plus survival gear. If you are interested, check the CAPs website for their aircraft auction. They are selling off 3 or 4 at a time and the sale price has been very attractive. So much so that I have seen at least one individual purchase one, clean it up a bit--and then resell it for a substtantial profit. I believe these aircraft are all 2000 to 2002 models--and all are full IFR with an approach certidied GPS.

As to overloading the aircraft. Yes--it has been done, but my strong suggestion is DO NOT. If you have any problems--regardless of the reason--the FAA and the insurance carrier will be all over you. After all you are breaking the law (read FAA regs). The 235 should have a factory increase in gross load, but that is not going to happen in the near future due to the cost and paperwork involved.

Good Luck--

Skip Guimond
Skip Guimond

rlcdds

Post by rlcdds »

Skip: Thanks for the info. I'm about to try the CAP website. rlc