New Paint Opinions

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
Chris in Milwaukee
100+ Posts

New Paint Opinions

Post by Chris in Milwaukee »

I've had my plane for about a year, and the paint is really starting to show its age. Cracks, flakes, etc. reign supreme. The fabric is in fine shape, but the finish coat is, well... you know. So I think it's about time I do something about that.

Following in Batmaule's footsteps, I want to strip off the top coat, clean it up, and make it beautiful again. I have visions of what I'd like to see, but I wanted to see what appeals to you guys and gals as well.

First, the current configuration:

I'm leaning toward the current 2017 paint scheme of the MX-series:

Flip the red and yellow colors around (signal yellow, less "orange"), and I think it looks pretty sweet. Combined with the ABW Maule upgrades which come in white already, and I don't have to change the color of those components.

But the classic Maule paint scheme is as recognizable as a classic C-195 design. Hard to deny its good looks and simplicity.

What do you all like on your planes?

~Chris
Christopher Owens
1993 MX-7-180A
Members: AOPA EAA VAA

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

I have strong opinions about flashy paint on cars and trucks, I also typically hate red, green and blue on vehicles. That said, I love flashy paint jobs on airplanes. Not sure why, it just pulls them together. And with that said, my plane is almost 100% Daytona white. Can’t say my plane looks bad, it’s just not as fun as some of the fancy new paint jobs. Guess the solid color planes like mine look kinda tough and purpose built where the fancy paint jobs class it up a bit and make the plane seem more like a big toy.

Oh and I dislike the traditional maule paint scheme, the new ones are much better in my opinion. And Yellow is super sweet, even the orangish yellow is pretty awesome.

freedom
100+ Posts

Post by freedom »

don't know what are the costs involved to strip and repaint, but for around 4000usd you could recover the fuselage and tail feathers in Oratex.
Takes about 2 weeks in total.

CaseyM
100+ Posts

Post by CaseyM »

I personally fancy the newest Maule paint scheme. Although, I believe DirtDobber's is the best looking paint I've ever seen on a maule.

If I were to repaint my 97' MX-7, I would want to pay homage to the classic Maule "whale tail" scheme but update to the successor of the 2 stripe scheme on my 97'. The scheme with the 3 stripes all the way through the cowling inlets.

Another scheme I think really makes for a very clean and practical looking bird is this one:

ultimately, which paint scheme will make you open the hangar door and say, "damn, that is a good looking airplane!!!"
N1042Z
97' MX7-180C

pilot
100+ Posts

Post by pilot »

UP-M5 has one you should look at....
I can't remember if I fired six shots, or only five.....

M-5 220c, circa 1974
EAA #428061

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

I wanted a color combination that looked okay but my primary goal was to make the airplane more visible around other aircraft and get a really durable paint job that would hold up no matter what the weather. I went with DuPont Imron Sunbelt Yellow with black stripes. It cost me $1,000 more during the rebuild but 7 years later I'm glad that I did. Makes it look like a Cub on steroids but it's quite visible in the sky or on the ground. No cracks or paint fading so far.

It's really hard to pick out white wings from another aircraft. Our Cessna 185s and 182s at work are all painted with the white base color. It's like looking for a white cow in a snowstorm to find them in the air.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

freedom wrote:don't know what are the costs involved to strip and repaint, but for around 4000usd you could recover the fuselage and tail feathers in Oratex.
Takes about 2 weeks in total.
Seems awfully cheap. Sadly Oratex does not stock my white anylonger and I would likely have to repaint my wings that just got painted 2 years ago.

TomD
100+ Posts

Post by TomD »

I may be prejudiced but I am liking the yellow scheme.

Like Andy, I wanted to be seen and there is a lot of white much of the year where I fly.

TD

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

For me the best color is ABW.

Anything But White.

Everybody else is white. With a Yellow and green plane, I never miss it on the ramp and I rarely miss a compliment. Tom understands ;-)

Also, I think bright colors are easier to see in the sky, or on the ground in a rescue suituation.

My paint scheme is the third on the list.

One thing. Don't paint the horizontal tail a dark color. It overheats in the sun and pulls the tape seams up. I repaired mine (3M clear helicopter tape) and have light colored covers for parking outside in the summertime.
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

51598Rob
100+ Posts

Post by 51598Rob »

I got tired of my 1970's, way dated color scheme...I hate to even admit this to you all, but last week I got the masking tape out and masked off an area that covered many of the old lines. I then picked a color that I thought would look ok, and started painting. Actually, not "painting", but Plasti Dipping. I thought this would be a no risk method of changing the look that would be reversible if I screwed up in a bad way! The finish is semi-matt, and is very flexable so won't crack. If I don't like my results a year from now, I will go back to original, or change it to something else. I have a 7 year old grandson that will help me post pictures when I can....
Let Freedom Prevail

51598Rob
100+ Posts

Post by 51598Rob »

Let Freedom Prevail

VA Maule
100+ Posts

Post by VA Maule »

I believe you did improve it, but a Maule still looks regardless of the paint job.
The best Government, is less Government.

TxAgfisher
100+ Posts

Post by TxAgfisher »

I love Ross’s one off scheme (DirtDobber) but I also really like David’s yellow M6 scheme. Think he’s MultiMauler or something like that on here.
TJ Van Matre

Chris in Milwaukee
100+ Posts

51598Rob wrote:Actually, not "painting", but Plasti Dipping.
I've read about people doing that to vehicles. How is it applied?
Christopher Owens
1993 MX-7-180A

Chris in Milwaukee
100+ Posts

Christopher Owens
1993 MX-7-180A