External Power Carts

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

Craig

External Power Carts

Post by Craig »

I have been shopping around for External Power sources (Piper Plug) and battery chargers for the " forum recommended" Condorde battery set up. Anyone have any recommdations from good or bad personal experiencs? Thanks to all. Craig M7-260
Last edited by Craig on Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
M7-260

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

The best DC power cart is an electric golf cart. If you don't have access to one of those, a good deep cycle battery and a "float" charger is good. Why do you want a cart anyway?

Craig

Post by Craig »

I have a Garmin that needed an update. By the time we finished the process on battery power, the voltage was down somewhat. Extended draws against the battery can "sulphate" the charging plates so I have been told. A small ground power unit would take the load off the battery. I had not considered a golf cart. I was looking more toward the Units offered @ www.enhancedflight.com or the offerngs at Aircraft spruce.com. Thanks for your suggestions.
M7-260

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

I don't think the sulfation is a problem and doesn't even start unless you leave the battery in a low charge state after the extended draw for an extended period of time. If you recharge the battery soon after the use, it's no problem, matter of fact some batteries like to be deep cycled (discharged completely) and then recharged soon thereafter and it's good for them- such as in a golf cart...
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

If you already have a golfcart, they are great for running around the airport, make decent aircraft tugs and of course have enough battery power for a power cart.
The next time you have to run your battery for an extended time, just connect a decent automotive charger, it will probably keep the battery from being discharged much if any at all.
Ni-cads benefit from being cycled, lead acid aircraft batteries don't generally take to being deeply discharged.
Of course you could just hook up your car, leave it running and it will keep the battery fully charged just like the aircraft does with the engine running.

donknee
100+ Posts

Post by donknee »

I use an inexpensive 0-3 amp battery charger for my motorhome to keep the batteries topped, got it at the automotive parts store for about $25. It is self regulating, just keeps enough "trickle" to keep them topped. It comes with both an aligator clip adapter or eyed ends to attach to the battery terminals and then a plug, so you could easily connect/disconnect without removing the aft bulkhead (or wherever you battery is located) Generally there are two types of charges, an equalizing charge which is a high amperage charges with enough ionic polarity and action, to expel building lead sulfate which has coated the electrode plates and a float charge which is a low amperage and just keeps the voltage up. For good battery maintenance it is good to periodically "equalize" charge the battery to keep the sulfate action to a minimum. This probably occurs with the aircrafts alternator after hot starts, sitting dormant for awhile, etc. where it can put out over 40 amps when the regulator directs it. Otherwise, a small float charger will keep it topped off even during times of updating the Garmin software, checking lighting, etc. Deep cycle batteries have thicker plates and are designed for more equalization, engine starting batteries have thinner plates and will "wear out" with frequent equaliztion. With a fuel injected aircraft which is hard to start hot or where the battery loses voltage in dormant times, then it will see frequent equalization and the battery life may be short. If you keep a float charge and the voltage is always optimum, you may experience longer battery life. I'm lucky with my airplane and that the battery stays charged and starts easily (knock-knock) so I have not needed a charger. ching-ching 2 cents.
1976 M5-235-C

TomD
100+ Posts

Power cart

Post by TomD »

I have a jumper cable power plug on the rear wall of my baggage compartment which accepts a three prong AC plug and big alligator clips for the external battery.

Since my car is usually close to my plane ( when at my strip ) I just jump from the car. I have jumped from other planes and vehicles away from the strip ( Lake Isabel was a real treat!!)

See this thread: http://maulepilots.org/forums/viewtopic ... sc&start=0

For more battery info.