Transfer pump problem

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

Hogy59

Transfer pump problem

Post by Hogy59 »

Filled up the tips with (relatively) cheap 100LL the other day....and now my left transfer pump is not getting power.....pulled the switch, and I have a good 12V to the switch, and voltage coming out of the switch...I tried swapping switches with the other tank..no help...

I see a resistor (I think) in the line coming out of the back of the switch...anyone had any issues with these?

Any ideas? I hate chasing shorts.......I unhooked the disconnect at the wing connection, and I don't think I'm getting power that far....

ajak
100+ Posts

Post by ajak »

Do you have access to a clamp-on ammeter (has a "clamp" that you put over one of the wires to check for current, without having to disconnect anything). High current = shorted. No current = open circuit downstream, or a bad pump.

Other thing to try is measuring voltage right at the aux pump terminals. Good voltage + pump not running = bad pump. No voltage = problem somewhere in between.

Or maybe you still just have the notorious "cheap fuel" detection circuit installed. :?

Good luck...
AJ
1983 M-6-235
IO-540W1A5D, 81" Hartzell, 4" ext gear, 31" tires, Atlee exhaust, long wings, VGs, LED ldg/nav/strobes, EDM-900, CiES

Hogy59

Post by Hogy59 »

The pump is good...I hooked it to a battery charger to empty the tank and it works fine...the CB is in, so I don't have a direct short. I'm down to chasing a loose wire behind the instrument panel....Oh joy!!!!

DeltaRomeo
100+ Posts

Post by DeltaRomeo »

I suspect the "resistor" item is actually a diode to prevent feedback. They do go bad (just replaced one in a pump circuit for a sawmill). Try testing downstream of the diode to verify power beyond it going to the pump.
M5

Kirk
100+ Posts

Post by Kirk »

Another point to check, I believe, is the connectors at the wing root. Check the parts CD for a diagram or pull back the headliner near the forward door pillar.

The wiring diagram lists color coding for factory wiring, some connectors I've found have a number written on them that correspond to wiring diagram or parts diagram.

Bear in mind that intermittent pump failure to run is not unheard of. It's possible the pump will work if reconnected and you have an intermittent problem.

Kirk

Hogy59

Post by Hogy59 »

After more inspecting, I finally found it....the wire hooking to the switch feeding the pump had broke into inside the slide on fitting...it was still hanging together but had no continuity....

It is the little things that cause the biggest problems.......

Chris in Milwaukee
100+ Posts

Post by Chris in Milwaukee »

Thankfully that little thing was an easy repair! :)
Christopher Owens
1993 MX-7-180A
Members: AOPA EAA VAA

Hogy59

Post by Hogy59 »

8)