New Glareshield options?

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

HeavyLoad
100+ Posts

New Glareshield options?

Post by HeavyLoad »

I don't see anyone making aftermarket glareshields for the maule. Wondering if anyone has taken one for like a cessna and tried to trim it down to fit?

freedom
100+ Posts

Post by freedom »

I'm planning to cover mine with a super thin, thus very flexible, layer of matt carbon fiber to resin to the old glass fiber glareshield.
will let you know how it goes, I made it about 2 1/2 in longer so to cover the instruments from the sun glare.

HeavyLoad
100+ Posts

Post by HeavyLoad »

freedom wrote:I made it about 2 1/2 in longer so to cover the instruments from the sun glare.
Perfect. I think have some extra coverage would be great there.

TomD
100+ Posts

Post by TomD »

Sounds like a reasonable mod. assuming the extra 2.5" does not create a safety hazard. For example does the extent of your head's forward motion in a sudden stop miss the new lip?

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

I would like a drooping lip to hide some lights behind but yea, I have thought what that edge would do to a face/forehead. Buddy of mine wadded up a Cherokee and basically tore his whole face off from impact with the glare shield. Hanging by a thread, just above his lip. Not fun. Fortunately they were able to just flip it back up. Healed pretty well!

I would think a thick rubber lip would fix that though.
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

Stinger
100+ Posts

Post by Stinger »

crbnunit wrote:
I would think a thick rubber lip would fix that though.
So all I need to do is get some lip injections?

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

Why not just make the glare shield extension itself out of rubber; say 3/16" or 1/4" thick, so it will hold its shape, but be easily bendable in an accident? If you are already molding a new glare shield, you could mold in a slightly raised area at the panel end of it to secure the rubber extension under, so it looks nice.

While we are discussing such things, I've noticed that lots of folks are now painting their panels in very light colors, like beige or tan, or even white. It looks nice, but I can't help but wonder if it creates a glare problem at times. Anybody have any insight into that?

freedom
100+ Posts

Post by freedom »

I'm still few month behind in this project, but was thinking either to apply a heavy rubber channel to protect my smile, or make it in such a way it can slide underneath and be deployed on demand.

VA Maule
100+ Posts

Panel color

Post by VA Maule »

Mine is factory original beige/tan and I don't notice any glair issue in fact I find it easier for IFR as the instrument heads are not lost in all that blackness.
The best Government, is less Government.

CPS M5

Post by CPS M5 »

Good shoulder harness would help.

CPS M5

Post by CPS M5 »

Does anyone have a good solution to cockpit lighting? An overhang on the glare shield would allow you to hang some LED lights.

VA Maule
100+ Posts

Post by VA Maule »

Nulights instrument light rings & MaxDim controller
Edit- Small FLASHLIGHT in your shirt pocket :wink:
The best Government, is less Government.

TomD
100+ Posts

Post by TomD »

The NuLights look really nice, but since I fly after dark very seldom the three red led rig that clips to the bill of my ball cap seems to work well enough for me.