Maule Ceconite Repair Touch Up

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

Attackpilot

Maule Ceconite Repair Touch Up

Post by Attackpilot »

Folks a couple things looking to do some repairs and dope work on a 2005 M7 235 B. Ceconite 101, Seam tapes could use some work and paint in certain areas could use some removal or blending (melting). My understanding is Nitrate or Butyrate dope, Maule has not returned my calls. Besides sanding any way to loosen up paint (polyurethane coating?) Utech...to minimize chipping or pealing away paint? Thanks

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Don't think you'll need dope on that later model. A little cement (I use Superflite U500 but there are a couple out there) and a little poly color and you're done.

Attackpilot

Post by Attackpilot »

Thanks for info, I figured the Ceconite and dope is what’s covering the fuselage and tail feathers. A long time ago we use to apply dope to loosen the paint and dope in the surrounding areas to blend in any deformities. My quick assumption is that the dope and fabric is good to go. I can work seams I figured with seam tape sealer. Your suggestion of urethane U 500 is excellent on the seams. It’s the other spider cracks (pressure bumps) and/or rock chips that need to be addressed. Two small repairs as well, pin holes with fabric. Plus a cable rub in fabric. Poly urethane I would suspect needs to removed repairs made and then urethane paint reapplied over the repair. Sand blend reapply till completed, blending back into original paint.

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Can probably sand the poly with an orbital palm sander almost down to whatever primer they used and then just reapply some poly. Cracks are probably just in the poly.

Attackpilot

Post by Attackpilot »

Thanks, I figured paint was issue. I just didn't want to apply wrong dope or silver comb. Paint should be straight forward....yea right.....

Thanks for help and suggestion on seam tapes.