Hauling a Maule M4 on a trailer

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

gmchaney

Post by gmchaney »

As I was planning on moving my M4 a long distance by trailer , I found limited information on it. Maule was a good resource for weights and dimensions. The wing removal was very easy, it did require 3 people as the wing weighs ~120#. 2 people support while the other removes struts and wing root bolts. I added wing racks to the flat bed trailer and used 2" foam to cushion wing. This plane has 8.50 x 10 wheels and outside dimension on the mains was 82". Used a light duty ratcheting strap on gear to keep wheel base at this dimension while loading. The trailer has a 16' bed which is a little short for this plane but we were able to gain inches by raising the mains up on boards allowing for a few inches of forward movement tire to backstop and pivot tailwheel around gaining another ~8 inches. The prop was secured from turning with light duty ratchet strap, just to prevent it from moving during the trip. The elevators and horizontal stabilizer was stored under the plane with foam in between each piece. The tailwheel fork was secured to the frame to prevent pivoting. Used car wheel straps on the mains and ratcheting straps on the tailwheel. The plane was cushioned by its own tires for the trip, which really minimized vibration and jarring. Used shrink wrap to cover the wing attachment area on the fuselage and at the end of the wing on the wing root. This worked really good to keep dust and water from getting into these inner areas, after shrink wrap installed used a little duct tape to give it better support. Moved the plane over 4000 miles on this trailer. All in all it went pretty smoothly. Of course now it is off to the local mechanic for some upgrading. I have attached some pics that benefit others in the future. See post lower in thread....
Last edited by gmchaney on Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Very much appreciate your report gmchaney, however regarding the pictures, photo bucket does not allow access.
We once towed an M5 from AK to GA on its own wheels. Used old tyre casings and extra wheel bearings.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

gmchaney

Post by gmchaney »

Dog gone it anyway! If someone is interested in the pics send me an email at m.chaney.9611@gmail.com and I will send them.....

gmchaney

Hauling Maule M4 on a trailer

Post by gmchaney »

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Yup, now the pictures blow up easy, thank you.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

HEY! That was sitting at Merrill Field? Either that or it has a twin and the twin is no longer sitting at Merrill.
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

I towed my M4 from Albuquerque to Dallas. Similar sized trailer. Put wings flat on trailer under the plane with foam. Left the horizontals on. Made the trip with zero damage aside from a bunch of bugs.

gmchaney

Post by gmchaney »

Yes, it was at Merrill for a long time.....and now it is resting in East Tennessee. It survived the trip with no visible damage as far I can tell, but still needs a thorough inspection. If anything comes up that may have happened during transport, I will post it.....

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

I used to park right across the taxiway from it and looked it over several times. I think I saw someone working on it once but never saw it fly. I always thought it was a nice looking bird. That tinted plexi is pretty unique. I didn't think there could be two of them! Glad it has found a loving home.
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

squanto84

Re: Hauling a Maule M4 on a trailer

Post by squanto84 »

gmchaney wrote:Yes, it was at Merrill for a long time.....and now it is resting in East Tennessee. It survived the trip with no visible damage as far I can tell, but still needs a thorough inspection. If anything comes up that may have happened during transport, I will post it.....
How far are you from Collegedale, TN? I've got a flying friend that is deep into fabric Taildraggers there. May be a nice contact to have.

gmchaney

Post by gmchaney »

Not far, ~75 miles. Been talking with local mechanic about fabric and inspection. It would be nice to have the contact for sure....

squanto84

Post by squanto84 »

Sent you a Private Message with his info.