VG's and Elevator Gap Seal installation costs?

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

stevechardon

VG's and Elevator Gap Seal installation costs?

Post by stevechardon »

I am a new owner of a M-5-220C. I am interested in having VG's and Gap Seals installed. I have identified costs for the materials. Does anyone have an idea of a ballpark time / labor cost for installing the VG's? The Gap Seals? Does anyone who has already done this have any particular advice for me?

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

8 hours shop labor should be more than enough for both. Jeremy, Wup, Aero, what you guys think?

TomD
100+ Posts

Post by TomD »

I would do the gap seals myself. It is not a difficult install. The instructions that come w/ the Maule kit are pretty straight forward. The only "tricky" part is notching "v's" in the tape so it will smoothly radius around the bends in the horizontal stab.

VG's certainly are a AP/IA install or at least sign-off. No idea on times to accomplish. Assuming your wings are painted and you don't want to strip down to metal for best adhesion.

stevechardon

Post by stevechardon »

Thanks gbarrier! My plane came from the Hickory NC area. I am a new (2 year) pilot and looking for all the help I can get! I fly out of 1B5 in NH. Love my Maule! Please, everyone else, send along your thoughts!

Henry Sanger

Post by Henry Sanger »

I recommend to do both I did on my m5 and the vgs helped a lot and gap seals helps on elevator control

Duane
100+ Posts

Post by Duane »

I've installed a lot of each. But remember, that is on new aircraft. I agree that 8 hrs shop time should be sufficient for a competent mechanic to install both. Back in my heyday, I have installed VG's in just over an hour. Keep in mind that was when I was doing 2 or more sets a week. It really helps when you don't have to consult the book for the measurements. Right now, it would probably take me about 3 hrs to install a set of VG's and about an hour for the gap seal.

tellicovillage
100+ Posts

Post by tellicovillage »

Worst part is removing the old gap seal tape if it is present. A little heat, time and patience is required for the job so you don't cut or gouge the fabric. My recommendation let the A&P fool with the tape while he supervises you on the V/G's they are a lot more fun! :D

stevechardon

Post by stevechardon »

Thanks everyone for the advice! It is much appreciated!