What Maule?

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
High Country

What Maule?

Post by High Country »

Hello Maule pilots. I have been lurking on your site trying to learn more about Maules but have only became more confused by all the different Maule models and years of production.

Here's my situation. I live in Alaska and do a lot of off airport flying. I currently have a Super Cub and absolutely love it and could never be with it. But my problem is that my family will be growing here in the next year or so and I am looking into buying an additional plane. I would like a 180 or Maule to haul the family in. I may put it on floats, but I haven't made up my mind yet.

So the question is assuming it is on wheels, what is the best model Maule for off airport? Remember that I am used to a Super Cub and would like to have a plane that performs as close as possible to it. M7, M5, oleo gear, spring gear? If I do decide to go with floats what model works best and what floats seem to work best on a Maule?

Thanks for your input.

Shane

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

Hi Shane,
Each and every one of us will give you a different answer.
Please spend some more time in this form. Many times someone has asked your question.
I would bet that someone lives close to you that has a Maule. The best way to choose an airplane is to check it out.
Jeremy is a dealer and would be very helpful.
With the cost of a larger family, I would say a Maule will be the more economical one to choose (more bang for the buck).
Real bush pilots don't fly Cessna's............LOL

iceman
100+ Posts

Post by iceman »

just remember one thing.. HORSEPOWER! NO substitute.. :lol:
Iceman

MikeW
100+ Posts

Post by MikeW »

I would recommend the long wing Maules, the M-7 or M-6. They have the long wing and a huge flap and have the best STOL performance of any 4-place airplane out there. Also, loading them is great with the side cargo door, as opposed to lifting things over the back seat.

Mikew

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

I think Jeremy can make a modification for some extra ROOM if needed

http://humanballooncd2005.tripod.com/Hu ... elly-1.jpg

UP-M5
100+ Posts

Post by UP-M5 »

high country,

fly that cub on up to TKA and i'll take you for a ride if you are interested. i'm parked on christiansen lk SPB. its in the supplement under talkeetna.

any of the maules will most likely do what you want. just comes down to preference.....
M5-235

aero101
100+ Posts

M7-MX7-M6

Post by aero101 »

I would suggest you consider between the M7, MX7, or M6 all of which offer tradeoffs. Personally, I like my MX7-180 as it has more legal useful load on wheels then the larger engined Maules, and performance out in the boondocks is better and easier handling (oooppps, probably opening a can of worms here), more on par with the supercub but with alot more room, legal useful load, and operating costs are cheaper then larger eng'd Maules... On floats, the bigger engined M7 or M6 have some advantages with more useful load as you get a gross wt increase with the floats. Of course the larger engines also are considerably faster in cruz and with heavier wing loading, probably a little more stable, and will probably do better at high density altitudes as well. So to me, it would depend entirely on what kind of flying you will be spending the most time doing, but think you'll find any of those models to be pretty versatile with just little differences in some areas of performance envelopes? Best bet would probably be to go fly with someone in various models, see what you think as you'll probably find all of us owners to be pretty happy with strong opinions on whatever it is we're flying! And if you ever make it up to FAI, we're at Chena Marina Airport in supplement under Fairbanks, we could certainly get you out in an MX7 for a ride.
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

I think the lightest big wing one would either be an M-6 or an M-5 converted to a 6 with the universal wing and oleo struts. The 5, I think is a 30'10" while the long piston wing is 32'11".
There are variations on this theme of course, Maule has the nickname of potato head factory for a reason. Jeremy's page has a link that explains the differences.
It's not going to be a SC, but it will carry a load and cruise around 130kts.

High Country

Post by High Country »

Thanks for the public responses and PM's that I have gotten from you all. I appreciate the input. I may take some of you guys up on the ride offers some day. I am not going to buy real soon, but maybe in the next year or so. I wouldn't want to bother someone for a ride when I am not that close to actually making a purchase.

If anyone else wants to chime in, the more the merrier.

Shane

rogerapfeifer

Post by rogerapfeifer »

high country,
i live in anchorage and have flown an m4 up here since 79 and an m6 since 2003. most of my flying has been on floats and i have really enjoyed these airplanes. they are kind of like owning a super cub and a c180. don't get me wrong a maule won't do what a cub does but in the right hands it will get fairly close. mine have been fairly trouble free and they are pretty easy to work on. the double doors in the back make them very easy to load and when you take the back seat out you have a lot of cargo space. i will be doing my annual late this month or early in may out at birchwood and then the m6 goes on its floats you are certainly welcome to come take a look and a ride.
rog pfeifer
x army helicopter pilot, in ak since 1970,flown maules since 79, own m4 and m6. most time on floats but have whls and skis. use plane mostly to hunt and fish. have been in most corners of ak and would be happy to share any knowledge