1471-00-3 Dukes Fuel Boost Pump(FYI)

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

Green Hornet
100+ Posts

1471-00-3 Dukes Fuel Boost Pump(FYI)

Post by Green Hornet »

My 1997, M7- 235C recently exhibited a fuel leak from the 1471-00-3 Dukes Fuel Boost Pump( Red in color). After calling Maule (Bryan) he quoted a new replacement for $989.00. He informed me about Charles Duffy out of Florida that overhauls the unit for $489.00 + $225.00 refundable core charge N/A if the unit is sent to him for overhaul. They quoted a one day turn around and with express shipping I should be Air Worthy outside a week. Charles can be reached at 1800 227-5772. I will let you know how this works out for me.
1997-M7-235C, 540 I/O

WOC SPOT

Roy

Post by Roy »

Have you got your pump back yet? If so did it work out OK? I went out to my M4-210 this morning and it was dripping thru the boost pump drain. Looks like it's rebuild time for my pump. I'm going to call the guy in Florida probably this afternoon.

Roy

Green Hornet
100+ Posts

Post by Green Hornet »

It is due back tomorrow morning but I cannot get it installed until Monday afternoon. The good news is CJ Aviation turned it around in one day. The pump needs to be overhauled every 10 years and mine was due this month anyway. I had the same leak. If you can wait till monday I will let you know how it works.
1997-M7-235C, 540 I/O

WOC SPOT

Roy

Post by Roy »

OK Thanks, I called CJ and will probably ship my pump in the morning.
It was chilly and humid in Georgia this morning when I went to look at my Maule. It was leaking so bad that it had formed a ball of frost as big as your thumb on the end of the drain pipe. I guess the cold weather got the best of something inside that little expensive thing. At the price of av gas I can't afford too many drips like the one this morning. I might also have an issue with the fuel cut off value since it appeared to have dripped a lot. I'm not exactly sure how much fuel is in the system after the fuel cutoff but any leak is too much especially if it's leaking while in the air.

Think I'll go fly my J3, it's pretty in Georgia this afternoon, and I'm not worried about it's fuel pump.

Roy

Green Hornet
100+ Posts

Post by Green Hornet »

Roy,
I had the same concern about the fuel selector so I left it on both the second time I observed the fuel leak. The first time I could not duplicate in front of an A & P. My leak only happened after flight.
Regards
Bill
1997-M7-235C, 540 I/O

WOC SPOT

Roy

Post by Roy »

I handed my pump to UPS a few minutes ago, headed to CJ, I'll let you know in a few days how it works out.

Roy

Green Hornet
100+ Posts

Post by Green Hornet »

I got my pump back this morning and it looks brand new with airworthiness certificate attached. By Monday afternoon I will report if it solved the problem. I don't anticipate any issues.
1997-M7-235C, 540 I/O

WOC SPOT

Green Hornet
100+ Posts

Post by Green Hornet »

Roy,
I got the pump installed this afternoon and happy to report it is working like a charm with no leaks. I am airworthy and a happy flyer.
Good luck
Bill
1997-M7-235C, 540 I/O

WOC SPOT

Roy

Post by Roy »

Great, I check UPS tracking, mine was delivered yesterday, so I should be hearing something soon. Sounds like they do good work. Glad you are back in the air.

Roy

Roy

Post by Roy »

Got my pump back this morning and it looks great, my A/P is back in town so hopefully we will get it back on today. Thanks for the tip, it looks like we have saved some money and the service has been great.
Also the power leads coming out of the motor are new. And they are both the same color (black) how can you tell which is the ground and which is the positive lead? Does it matter? Hook it up and if it runs backward then swap the leads? I have'nt gotten hold of it with a meter yet just took it out of the box so I'm just asking before I start trying to figure it out.
Thanks

Roy

Green Hornet
100+ Posts

Post by Green Hornet »

In my case the short lead was ground and attached to to the left front screw holder at the bottom of the holder.The pump is upside down. We got a round lead attachment to slip over the screw. We did check with a meter to differentiate . In my case the short wire would not reach the supply wire. You probably turned off the fuel selector don't forget to put it back to both since it is not recommended to run dry.
Good Luck
Bill
1997-M7-235C, 540 I/O

WOC SPOT

Roy

Post by Roy »

My A/I got my fuel pump hung on Saturday, I was out of town so I haven't flown it yet but he check it out and reported that I had good boost pressure and everything looked good.
Thanks for the tip.
Roy

MauleMechanic
100+ Posts

Post by MauleMechanic »

Roy wrote:My A/I got my fuel pump hung on Saturday, I was out of town so I haven't flown it yet but he check it out and reported that I had good boost pressure and everything looked good.
Thanks for the tip.
Roy
I hope he bled the lines before turning on the pump