One Wing Low

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
wredick

One Wing Low

Post by wredick »

After owning my M7 for a few years and logging several hundred hours, it begs me to ask this question. The right wing is always heavy. Control inputs require left aileron all the time. I always burn out of the right tank first and that helps. Is there some way to warp the wing to correct this? I don't have an autopilot so after an hour or so, my hand gets tired to holding the correction. Jeremy, what do you think? Anyone else, please help.
William H Redick

TxAgfisher
100+ Posts

Post by TxAgfisher »

Probably in the aileron rigging. I'm not an expert but I think there are turnbuckles you can adjust.
TJ Van Matre

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

To parrot what has been said here before, check that you don't have nests etc inside the wing if you can't find the issue in the rigging.

Chris in Milwaukee
100+ Posts

Re: One Wing Low

Post by Chris in Milwaukee »

wredick wrote:After owning my M7 for a few years and logging several hundred hours, it begs me to ask this question. The right wing is always heavy. Control inputs require left aileron all the time.
I have the same problem. It's going in for annual next week. While things are apart, I may go through the rigging section of the service manual.
Christopher Owens
1993 MX-7-180A
Members: AOPA EAA VAA

wredick

Post by wredick »

If I re-rig the ailerons, I have the same problem, right wing heavy. With the ailerons deflected to the left, I lose true airspeed due to the extra drag.
William H Redick

TxAgfisher
100+ Posts

Post by TxAgfisher »

If you are flying straight and level with the left input already, why would you lose TAS when rigged that way?

Have you weighed the airplane? How is your balance left and right? Which side is the battery on?
TJ Van Matre

wredick

Post by wredick »

If the right aileron is down to increase the lift of the right wing, and the left aileron is up to counter the right wing, both cause drag. More drag equals less speed
William H Redick

TxAgfisher
100+ Posts

Post by TxAgfisher »

wredick wrote:If the right aileron is down to increase the lift of the right wing, and the left aileron is up to counter the right wing, both cause drag. More drag equals less speed
I understand that but if you are putting in aileron input then you should be creating the same effect.
TJ Van Matre

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

You cannot rig the airplane by adjusting the ailerons, as they are independent to the rig of the plane.
Use the manual and start at the beginning otherwise you are chasing your tail.
There are no shortcuts if you want optimum lift and speed.
Very often the ailerons have been reskined or twisted and thus will roll the plane.
Use lateral level tube first, then check tail hinge line for parallel horiz stabs, then elevators for equal angle and no twist at balance weight horn,then vertical stab and rudder for perpendicular and alignment to correct position left of centre above windscreen, then dihedral of wings, then washout with rear lift struts.
Finally the flaps and ailerons for no twist and flush at all ends with bottom of wing when upward pressure is applied to trailing edges.
Ailerons and rudder neutral, then adjust the servo tab.
Now you can fly it with equal fuel in mains and Empty aux tanks.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

DeltaRomeo
100+ Posts

Post by DeltaRomeo »

What Jeremy said. Had the same issue and found the left wing to have the opposite of wash out. Got the wash out correct on both sides, checked dihedral, and all the other rigging specs per the manual and it now flies straight and level. Do what Jeremy said. There is no need to fight tendencies like heavy wings as they are indicating a more insidious problem. Until I corrected these issues, the stall was a hard break to the left. Now it just mushes.
M5

Hogy59

Post by Hogy59 »

But.....until you can re-rig the plane, you can adjust one of the flaps a touch so the plane flies hands off....it only takes a little....

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Ah yes but then you will never get around to doing it and the plane won't land correctly etc etc
The whole job only takes half a day.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Do the full rig by the book and check it twice. A little flap may not hurt but if it takes much at all don't do it. Instead tab an aileron. Put it on the one that you must tab down to make the aileron fly up. The ailerons must fly aligned. The tab is part number is 3056b found on drawing 3056b Rev. C.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Re aileron tabs on a Maule wing. Generally the only time a tab is useful is when there is a twisted aileron from a re-skin and not getting the spar perpendicular to the bottom skin the full length.
Whenever I come across a Maule with an aileron tab I know there is a rigging problem, twisted aileron or flap or an un-plumb airframe, thus the reason to rig from square 1, then fly it to get a baseline to work from.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Duane
100+ Posts

Post by Duane »

If you need the rigging data, I have it on a PDF that I can easily send. Just email me at the below addy.