EDM 900 placement

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

tellicovillage
100+ Posts

EDM 900 placement

Post by tellicovillage »

Partly due to the JPI presentation at the Maule homecomming I pulled the trigger on a EDM 900. Thinking I will locate it vertically, left of the radio stack below the CDI there for nav/radio 1. Any thoughts on this site? For nav/ radio #2 I plan to put a second CDI where the tach is now. (The 900 can replace the tach and fuel pressure gauges) So now my main question. ... I think the tach is a more valuable back up than the fuel pressure gauge. So I am considering... Removing the fuel pressure gauge and placing the tach in that space.
Comments, thoughts?
Thank You

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Throw those old gauges away. You won't need them. The 900 is rock solid. I too thought about locating the 900 left of the stack but I didn't like the idea of putting it on the lower row. Would have liked to put it on top row but there isn't quite enough depth for the Garmin indicator on lower row unless you skew that hole upward a bit and then there isn't enough room below the lower hole for the 900. I put mine on upper right of stack. and threw away all that stuff over there. I just think the 900 should be on upper row because you will spend time glancing at it and it's nice to have a little view outside while you're doing that especially on climbout. If I ever spring for a HSI and ditch the Garmin indicator I will relocate it to the ideal position of upper left side.

It's not a quick fix. I think they estimate about 40 hours for install and I think we took about that so depending who or if you're paying for install it might cost about as much as the unit. Worth every penny.

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

I'm putting in my order this weekend for a 900. Going to get the $400 rebate before it expires. Getting rid of all the old gauges will be a very happy day!

tellicovillage
100+ Posts

EDM 900

Post by tellicovillage »

Just an fyi...I was supried by the lead time for my EDM 900. Submitted all the information within 24 hours but about 30 days before it was shipped.

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

I ordered mine today via aircraft spruce. Sent all the required paperwork which is really just the engine page and the JPI form as it pertains to the Franklin. Hopefully they can produce in less than 30days, but honestly I won't be to hurt it if takes a little while longer. Need to plan my install a bit more and might push it until February to do as part of my annual.

ajak
100+ Posts

Post by ajak »

Working on an EDM-900 install myself as I speak. Looking forward to hearing how others' installations go. I'll post pics when I finish up (hopefully in next couple of weeks). I also opted for the upper left side of the right instrument panel, in a "landscape" position. Maule still sells blank panels. I picked up one this summer (about $135), cut the holes myself, and had it powdercoated locally in flat black (about $60).

So far, the most time consuming part of my installation has been getting all the old stuff off.

Any suggestions for good ways to create professional looking labels on the new panel?

AJ
AJ
1983 M-6-235
IO-540W1A5D, 81" Hartzell, 4" ext gear, 31" tires, Atlee exhaust, long wings, VGs, LED ldg/nav/strobes, EDM-900, CiES

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

ajak wrote:Working on an EDM-900 install myself as I speak. Looking forward to hearing how others' installations go. I'll post pics when I finish up (hopefully in next couple of weeks). I also opted for the upper left side of the right instrument panel, in a "landscape" position. Maule still sells blank panels. I picked up one this summer (about $135), cut the holes myself, and had it powdercoated locally in flat black (about $60).

So far, the most time consuming part of my installation has been getting all the old stuff off.

Any suggestions for good ways to create professional looking labels on the new panel?

AJ
So are you able to replace the panel sides without removing the windscreen? Seems like I recall a few of the rivets for the glare shield are pretty tight in the corners.

pilot
100+ Posts

Post by pilot »

ajak wrote: So far, the most time consuming part of my installation has been getting all the old stuff off.
I agree, this seems to always be the case. I got rid of my ex-wife for this very same problem.
I can't remember if I fired six shots, or only five.....

M-5 220c, circa 1974
EAA #428061

ajak
100+ Posts

Post by ajak »

Lol, that sounds about right!

I was also worried about having to remove the windshield, but was able to drill out the rivets by the corner of the windshield (from below) without any problem. The bottom edge my panel was bolted to the upper edge of the lower panel and I had to cut several of the bolts off, as the lower part of them was almost flush against a structural brace tube and I couldn't access the lower part at all. A Dremel tool with a right angle adapter and mini cutoff wheel proved handy for me. I think I might have to re-rivet a couple of the positions close to the windshield from below on the new panel though, to avoid removing the windshield. [/quote]
AJ
1983 M-6-235
IO-540W1A5D, 81" Hartzell, 4" ext gear, 31" tires, Atlee exhaust, long wings, VGs, LED ldg/nav/strobes, EDM-900, CiES

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

Ok, so I am neck deep in my install and would love to hear about or hopefully see pictures of where you guys have your senders mounted for Oil Pressure, Map Pressure and Fuel Pressure. Also where you located the Shunt would be a bonus. I have everything else in at this point.

tellicovillage
100+ Posts

EDM 900

Post by tellicovillage »

Here is a link to some pictures of my install. Not complete yet but close!!!
Had to enlarge the instrument hole to push the unit up to clear carb
Heat and brake.
Adding 2 cdi's on each side of the radio stack. Was going to keep old gauges as backups but became more trouble than it is worth.
Used the shunt on the maule not the edm supplied shunt
Gauges sensors installed.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/k5rdiofyq40j ... 1L32a?dl=0

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

Interesting on the shunt. I'm not sure the M4 with the franklin has an external shunt like that. I feel like it is built into the gauge cluster. But I could be totally wrong.

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Here's a couple of shots of my sensors and panel install. Sensors bottom - MP. center-Oil Press., Top-Fuel flow. The EDM900 works pretty well at top right of radios as that is where most of us are use to looking at the original gauges and also it lets you have a little glimpse out over the panel while you are setting MP, RPM, flow, etc.

If I ever run across an HSI and get rid of the Nav head I might move it to the top left but don't think I would be comfortable looking down to set stuff. Top left may cause one notice Oil Press. , Oil, Temp., etc. a little more often.

Previously there had been an area cut out right of the radios and a plate added where gauges were installed so it was easy to pull that panel (had to make a new one anyway) and mount the shunt on back side of the panel there. Also put boots on studs in case anything anything ever hit them. No pics, sorry.

Duane
100+ Posts

Post by Duane »

Tellico, I noticed bare tiewraps around the engine mount. That's a big no no. They will cut into the tubing. we use cork tape under any tiewraps.

tellicovillage
100+ Posts

Post by tellicovillage »

Thanks, will do!