Trick Air Wheel Skis

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

bobguhr
100+ Posts

Trick Air Wheel Skis

Post by bobguhr »

It looks like Trick Air is back in production with certified wheel skis for all the Maule models, see below.. Any one with experience running Trick Airs' penetration skis care to chime in with the good, bad and the ugly? I'm considering getting a set for the M6 and appreciate any insights.

http://trickair.com/alpine-3000-series/

Steven Schwister <info>
To Bob Guhr
Oct 23 at 6:48 PM
Hello Bob,

Yes, we just received FAA approval for the skis and PMA articles. We are starting production first with the smaller skis; expect to have the Alpine skis line up and running next month.

Best,

Steve

Silveraire, LLC
18099 Elmcrest Avenue North
Forest Lake, MN 55025
Telephone: (612) 930-7647

flyfish1

Post by flyfish1 »

I have enjoyed my trickair skis on my M4. It extends my flying season up here in Wisconsin. I can't compare them to anything else but they fill a niche that works for me. They really do go on in about 15-20 minutes. the convenience to go from a lake or field to a concrete runway is what I was looking for. Would I prefer a retractable ski yes, but for the cost and low maintenance and the fact that my winter flying is purely recreational trickair works. Here is a link to a video I made a few years ago when I first put them on. I hope this helps. https://vimeo.com/84354068
flyfish1

BatMaule
100+ Posts

Post by BatMaule »

Mine are rigged and ready to go. I'll be flying them this winter. The one thing I can say already is that they are big! Lots of surface area. Mine also have a plate to go under the tire which essentially turns them into a straight ski if conditions get bad. Fingers crossed....
1983 M6-235
The "BatMaule"

chazdevil
100+ Posts

Ski question

Post by chazdevil »

So I've been looking for an excuse to go ski flying for some time. I'll get there I hope.
Sorry for my ignorance. At what point does a tail wheel ski make sense?
My -5 is not lightweight. Seems like tailwheel weight would be a factor at some point?
79 M5 235Turbo

JDW

Post by JDW »

I have a MX7 180C. Have had trickairs for 5 winters just changed to Federal 2500 straight skis last winter.
Biggest advantage is the 20 minutes to install. Deepest snow I've been in is around 2ft plenty of floatation.
Fly with a friend that has a 170B with 145 continental with straight skis, he can beat me off the ground in any type of snow. Trickairs are heavy @ 70lbs each.
When I put bush wheels on had to go to double puck brakes. The single pucks used to be mounted back side of landing gear, double pucks had to move to front side of gear. Since I have had double pucks have had problems with brakes freezing. Can be a wild ride if only 1 freezes landing on hard pack.
Have to pay attention to tire pressure. Taken off on a day when below freezing and landed at higher elevation where 40 - 50 degrees and had to much air in the tires to get off the mushy snow. Had to let air out of tires to get off the ground. Makes for a short landing if you land on pavement when you get back to town.
All in all they worked OK, don't think there is a perfect ski for every snow condition. When ever I had issues Jeromy with Trick air was great to work with.

bobguhr
100+ Posts

Post by bobguhr »

Thanks for the replies I'm on board fo pulling the trigger on the Trick Airs
I guess ADSB upgrades will wait. Flyfish great video and good looking M4

Undaunted
100+ Posts

Post by Undaunted »

We are coming up on the 3rd year on the Trick Airs in Northern Wisconsin. Love them! While they are heavier than straight skis you can go in to hard top as needed.

I would get them if I were you, then head north and we can hit a bunch of fun lakes, grass (snow) strips and fields. Do read up on ski flying, it is a bit tricky at times judging the snow surface and texture. We have the tail ski but as of yet have not used it, even when the snow is a foot deep.

Several of the restaurants on the lakes up here have winter fly-ins that can only be made by snowmobile or ski plane. Or you can just fly in to one and have lunch! Patrons love it!
1999 M7-235C

bobguhr
100+ Posts

Post by bobguhr »

That sounds good to me Undaunted! I'm going to ask trick air if they do the installs, I could break the new skis in on the frozen Wisconsin Lakes if I time it right.
Are any of you running the baby Bushwheel as the tail wheel when on the skis? I'm wondering if it makes any difference in the ground handling. Any insight to gotchas on the initial install of the ski hardware onto the gear legs? I've got the HD Extended gear.

ajak
100+ Posts

Post by ajak »

Looks like the TrickAir install manual says they are certified for the M-6-180, but I don't see the M-6-235 listed... ??!!
AJ
1983 M-6-235
IO-540W1A5D, 81" Hartzell, 4" ext gear, 31" tires, Atlee exhaust, long wings, VGs, LED ldg/nav/strobes, EDM-900, CiES

bobguhr
100+ Posts

Post by bobguhr »

The M6 235 is on the list about half way down before you get to the M6 180 listing

bobguhr
100+ Posts

Post by bobguhr »

Flyfish1 PM Sent

bobguhr
100+ Posts

Post by bobguhr »

Guys with the Trickair's are you mounting tabs and cables to the gear bolts or are you trimming the cowl and mounting to the engine cradle bolts. I like the idea of attaching to the gear so as to avoid trimming the cowl. Any gotcha's?
Thanks

akm4

another option

Post by akm4 »

Another option if you want pavement and powder..

http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/ph ... 92115.html
http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/ph ... 21206.html

Aeroski r2800. Springs and cables bolt to gear leg bolts. Two holes drilled in boot cowl for release cable. My mechanic could only make single pucks fit with ski attach fitting, and she is a good problem solver. Custom torque plates and spat tube removal if you want to run double pucks with bushwheels in the summer. To my knowledge they are not compatible with HD gear legs of any length without modifications to the ski axle.

bobguhr
100+ Posts

Post by bobguhr »

Finally put down a hand full of AMU's on a set of new Trick Airs. Trick Air calls for 8.50-6 tires are you Trick Air guys running Good Years or Airtracs ? Thanks

riverbuggy
100+ Posts

Post by riverbuggy »

Better hurry up with those Trick Air's Bob. The Bowman Field (B10) Ski-Plane Fly-In is this Saturday, Feb. 10th.
Ray
1970 M4-220C N2056U