ABI 3200 shimmy

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

Buckwheat

ABI 3200 shimmy

Post by Buckwheat »

I just replaced the Maule tail wheel with a Scott 3200 Alaska Bush wheel and I am experiencing a lot of shimmy. The wheel was a little used so I got the rebuild kit from Alaska Bushweel. Should the springs to the hornes
be change from the Maule compression type to the Scott style as there is still some shimmying going on? Also it appears that possibly there needs to be a slight shim between the leaf springs and the plane to maybe position the the wheel a little further forward and under the tail. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks, Jim

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

Sounds like your leaf srpings a probably worn out and need to be replaced. The angle of the tailwheel pivot axle is critical; see s that you are aware of that, based on your comment about needing a shim. New springs are the right way to achieve the correct angle, not shims.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

The steering springs and chains should have a little slack, otherwise the wheel can set up oscillation between the springs.
Either steering springs will work on the ABI steering horn if you have the one with upturned ends.
If no upturned ends, the steering horns are shorter and the chain angle is steeper and the horns can get bent with the Maule steering springs which should have the stronger one on the right side.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Buckwheat

Post by Buckwheat »

Thanks Andy and Jeremy for your input. I have the upturned ends and feel there is proper slack in the spring. Sounds like I need to get new leaf springs.

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q
Here is a good video on rigging the Scott tailwheel also check that spring as mentioned also it may help to keep the pressure on t e low side for pavement operations. I had problems with mine at first new springs and rebuild helped and running a little less pressure on pavement.
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money

iceman
100+ Posts

Post by iceman »

what pressure are you running in the baby bushwheel...i have a slight shimmy too on a brand new spring... angle is correct...can't view the video it says it doesn't exist....oh just saw you have the 3200... well if anyone knows pressure in the baby bush wheel and whether that could be the problem let me know....
Iceman

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Overgreasing, or wrong grease which can migrate from the swivel bearing area into the anti shimmy clutch area can also be a problem as there will be no friction on the friction plates. In that case clean it out and rebuild.
Sometimes the friction pressure springs are tired and in the babybushwheel case 5 springs rather than three is optimal.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Buckwheat

Shimmy

Post by Buckwheat »

I put the 5 springs in and did not over grease. I still feel it is the " angle of the dangle" . Will report back after I work with tire pressure and spring angle. Once again thanks for your input. Jim

Buckwheat

Tailwheel shimmy

Post by Buckwheat »

Tried everything but could not stop the shimmy in the Alaska tail wheel shimmy. Finally put the standard 3200 on and problem solved! Thanks to all those who gave suggestions. Jim