Rezrider's gone on a trip

If you would like to share where you have flown to today (with pictures and/or stories), this is the new section to go to...
Rezrider
100+ Posts

Rezrider's gone on a trip

Post by Rezrider »

Without too much fanfar I thought I should mention that we have embarked on a little trip! We loaded up the M-5 and pointed it south.
We are currently in Oaxaca Mexico for two weeks of language school. After that, we plan to fly as far south as we can get, Patagonia perhaps!

Follow along on our blog at: www.emcincofliessouth.com and if you are on instagram, then: @emcinco. You can see our tracker on the blog site and I'll try to keep you updated here from time to time.

This trip has been years in the making. If all goes well then we'll be gone for 6 months or so.
Wish us luck!
Rezrider, right seater and Emcinco.
1980 M5-235
Four Corners

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Congratulations Rezrider, you are on the way. The traveller's way has no end.
See what you see, not only what you seek.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

Great place for a flight, sure looks like fun even with the few inconveniences along the way... Looking forward to further updates as you progress after schooling!!! Great pics as well!!
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

Rezrider
100+ Posts

Post by Rezrider »

Thanks guys, we'll try to keep you updated when possible.
1980 M5-235
Four Corners

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Great blog, Rezrider. Thanks for sharing it the trip. Do they require 1090ES ADS-B-Out?
Andy
1986 MX7-180

Rezrider
100+ Posts

Post by Rezrider »

Not yet!
1980 M5-235
Four Corners

snaproll

Post by snaproll »

That sounds like a terrific trip. I'm especially interested in the language school. I'll check out he blog! Thanks.

Rezrider
100+ Posts

Post by Rezrider »

We are on day 3 of language school and we couldn't be happier. They tailor the course to suit your needs are are determined to see you improve your skills.
Check out Amigos del Sol in Oaxaca city.
1980 M5-235
Four Corners

Rezrider
100+ Posts

Post by Rezrider »

A quick update from the air. We're still going! In Panama right now having flown about 2,500 NM. It's hot, it's humid but it's also fantastic.
Some details of the trip so far:
-after a break from flying it feels good to be back in the saddle.
-we exit Mexico and overfly Guatemala enroute to San Salvador. The overflight permit is easy to get for Guatemala but not so easy for Nicaragua.
-the traffic in San Salvador is incredible, an impressive display of patience and aggression both at the same time!
-we met some very friendly folks at the aero club at Ilopongo.
-Costa Rica has been amazing too, very green and lush. We land at a couple of strips down the Pacific side. Hop over to a grass strip in the mountains. Then head out to the Caribbean coast where are paid a 'visit' by the CR coast guard.
-The goodness continues in Panama where the Bocas del Toro airport shares some space with the local soccer field. A great view of the canal from the air enroute to the San Blas islands which are worthy of a seperate chapter.
-Colombia is next, still waiting on the permit from them.

Please check out the blog for updates and follow the tracker there too.

Www.emcincofliessouth.com
Instagram is: @emcinco

We'll catch up again later.
1980 M5-235
Four Corners

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Rezrider, thanks for the update. Glad you got to El Porvenir.
Slowflyer on this forum is in Panama with MXT7-180A
When you fly on to Columbia if over the Darien, look down and consider, I and gf rode horses from Panama to Columbia, swimming rivers and cutting trail many years ago. There are a few jungle airstrips on the way. We ended up at Rancho Sautata on the Rio Atrato near Turbo.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Rezrider
100+ Posts

Post by Rezrider »

We just met up with slowflyer and he told us your story of the Darien on horse back! Glad that you are still with us today.
We just got the permit for Colombia today.
Adios,
RR
1980 M5-235
Four Corners

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Excellent, i'm glad you met and that you got your permit. I spent a lot of time in Columbia, much to experience there but beware of the national sport of kleptomania. I moved Maules to there, Venezuela, Equador, and Brazil. Hope you make it to Tierra del Fuego, I have a couple motor cycle friends riding that way now.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Rezrider
100+ Posts

Post by Rezrider »

A quick update from us. We just crossed into Peru, took two weeks for the permit to come through. It feels good to be back in the air after a break of almost three weeks touring Ecuador by car, boat, foot!
Things are drying out now that we are through the ITCZ.
A new blog update can be found at: www.emcincofliessouth.com
Take care all and fly safe,
P
1980 M5-235
Four Corners

Rezrider
100+ Posts

Post by Rezrider »

I put some pictures up on the BCP site, link below, that I thought y'all might like.

https://www.backcountrypilot.org/forum/ ... tion-19809

Merry Christmas, happy holidays and a safe 2017 for flying, traveling, adventure and life in general.
I hope that I get the chance to sit around the camp fire with some of you next year and tell stories!
1980 M5-235
Four Corners

Rezrider
100+ Posts

Emcinco flies North

Post by Rezrider »

Headed northbound. Patagonia was amazing, it's going to take a while to put a decent trip report together for that.
In Ecuador today. We have had our fair share of mechanical issues along the way but Emcino is running well now.
I'll keep ya'll posted when I get some time and decent wifi.
Fly safe,
Paul
1980 M5-235
Four Corners