Looking for a used Maule

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
RobG

Looking for a used Maule

Post by RobG »

I'm looking for a used Maule in the range of ~$40k. If you know of a plane in this price range, please let me know!

Rob
robgilchrist@gmail.com

Lowflybye
100+ Posts

Post by Lowflybye »

There are some out there at that price, but they are harder to find. If you can afford the $60,000 price range you will open yourself up to a much larger choice of airplanes.
"To most people, the sky is the limit. To a pilot, the sky is home."

Still a bit cloudy when it comes to aviation insurance? Find some clarity: Clear on Top

Wirsig

Post by Wirsig »

1975 Maule M5-210-C on E-bay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1975-Mau ... dZViewItem

If I had $45 setting around I'd jump on it!

MauleWacko
100+ Posts

Post by MauleWacko »

:o
Last edited by MauleWacko on Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

The doors on this Maule on ebay are exactly what I want...
Is this approved without the aluminum strip across the middle????
Sure does look better.

iceman
100+ Posts

Post by iceman »

210TC wrote:The doors on this Maule on ebay are exactly what I want...
Sure does look better.
David, I did my doors last spring from the drawings I bought from Maule. They have a kit but the drawings are easy to follow and do from parts you can buy at most hardware stores. I got the plexiglass from a plastics supplier here in SD. You have to have the strip across the middle as that is a strengthener for the door and also supports the mechanism for the door latch. I love the doors now and I get a kick out of watching the wheels turn when taxiing. (I'm easily entertained) Visibility is fantastic in flight. My wife first balked at the thought of seeing straight down in flight but after leaving the ground she said she wondered why I didn't make the mod sooner. Do it you'll love it. :D
Iceman

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

210TC wrote:The doors on this Maule on ebay are exactly what I want...
Sure does look better.
I guess a 337? I can't see how it would change the structure any. Does look better from the outside, but I don't think the view from the inside would be any different.

iceman
100+ Posts

Post by iceman »

There was a thread on here a while back about Patroller doors and also on BCP. Lots of pictures you can look at on Backcountry pilot. Jeremy had some showing step by step.
Iceman

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

Thanks, I am aware of the normal patroller doors, but these are solid from top to bottom with lexan or plexiglass and no strip in the middle.
Maybe someone has an approval for these????if so, I woul like a copy.
I purchased another set of doors to up grade.

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

210TC wrote:.
I purchased another set of doors to up grade.
Try them for fit first, because I think you will be cutting some welds and forming them to fit your airplane.

Roy

Post by Roy »

To sort of answer Maulewaco's question. I had a 210 overhauled last year. I ended up spending a little over 22k. That included a new crank because of the VAR ad, a new prop governor and new mags. And I am tickled with that engine, smooth, smooth and all the power I need. Plus it sounds lile a race car when I pull up to the gas pump, the look on the local airport guys faces - priceless.

Roy

iceman
100+ Posts

Post by iceman »

I was gonna buy another set of doors too but Maule and Jeremy said they probably wouldn't fit without lots of adjustments as Maule builds every plane a little different and the doors are built specifically to your airplane. No Mass production assembly line there...... :shock:
Iceman

Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I see a m-4 210C for sale on trade-a-plane for 40K and it has 31"bush wheels,ski's,and floats. Check it out if your still looking.

aero101
100+ Posts

Patroller Doors

Post by aero101 »

This item was discussed up here several years ago by FAA when we went to new field approval process and plexiglass windows in Maule doors DO NOT require anything but a logbook entry by an A&P. These doors are considered non-structural and mod is a minor alteration whether done to the Maule prints or by your own design... It is also not necessary to have the strip across the window as the door latch mechanism is entirely supported by the door frame. (I'm not sure if this is true on the latest style door latches yet, but I have this mod on order from maule for a current project and will find out soon.) This is a relatively easy mod to do, most A&P's familiar with the maule could do it in less than a day for the cost of labor and a little plastic...
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.